snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 21 June 2007, 08:06 AM

Default Bill Nye the Science Jerk?

I've been wondering quite a bit about something... on both YouTube and IMDB, people never seem to have anything nice to say about Bill Nye the Science Guy. They all have stories about how they met him and how he was extremely ignorant and rude, including...

* An overheard rant to his assistant after a lecture in Ontario about how he shouldn't have to sign autographs for "red neck *beep*s from Ontario"
* Holding a block party, then SELLING his autograph there
* Refusing to sign autographs for a group of 5-8 year olds at a science fair

I dunno... the stories seem to be consistent (someone asks for an autograph, and Bill turns on them), but I can never find concrete proof that he's actually like this. Heck, one person who met him pre-"Bill Nye The Science Guy" said he was the nicest, funniest celebrity they ever met. (All of these 'bad encounters' are post BNtSG, though I doubt doing a kid's show would change him like that.)

I mean, I've learned myself that people who come off nice on TV aren't necessarily like that... a castmember of a certain PBS show (the name sounds like "Timing Shine Station") turned out to be one of the most miserable, loud-mouthed people I've ever talked to. But personally, I just can't see Bill Nye of all people being an absolute dick like people say he is - heck, YouTube even has a video of someone interviewing him one on one, and he doesn't seem any different from his usual TV personality. I even heard his college graduation speech, and he sounded like the same old Bill Nye. (He even said, "consider the following" for God's sakes!!)

So, my question is, can anyone come up with concrete proof that Bill Nye is a nice guy like I believe him to be, or a major jackass like other people say he is?
Old 21 June 2007, 08:10 AM

Tantrum

It's possible he just doesn't like to sign autographs, but people who think celebrities are obligated to sign autographs on demand take any turn-down as a personal insult.

- snopes
Old 23 June 2007, 10:19 AM
songs78

I can picture him being a jerk if you ever followed his Comedy sketches from the 1980s on Almost Live. He used to do standup comedy in Seattle. He has a little more edge than it shows in the kid's shows.
Old 23 June 2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazenby View Post

I mean, I've learned myself that people who come off nice on TV aren't necessarily like that... a castmember of a certain PBS show (the name sounds like "Timing Shine Station") turned out to be one of the most miserable, loud-mouthed people I've ever talked to.
You don't mean Ringo, do you? I've heard the same thing about him, even though he has often been portrayed as the only remotely nice Beatle.
Old 23 June 2007, 10:56 AM

I wonder if something like this might be close to the truth...

Old 23 June 2007, 05:24 PM

I have to say that I always feel a little for the celebrity in these cases. I would hate to be a celebrity, always running into people who recognized and cared about who I was but me never doing the same for them. But the thing is, I would hate to be a celebrity, but I would love to be a lot of the things celebrities are. In a lot of ways, being an actor would be great, or a rock star or a professional athlete. But I couldn't deal with the attention that would come from being a real big name celebrity in any one of those professions. I imagine that Bill Nye might feel the same way, which would explain a few things if these are true.

Partially it's because a lot of celebrities do seem to seek fame, but many just happen to fall into it. Maybe Bill Nye wanted to be a stand up comedian who could still go around town without getting mobbed. But then he gets a TV show and, unexpectedly, he can't move an inch without ten people recognizing him and asking for his autograph.
Old 23 June 2007, 06:21 PM

Bill Nye used to be a guest on the morning show of my favorite radio station in Seattle. He was great on that show, but of course, no one was asking him for an autograph.
Old 23 June 2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Bill Nye used to be a guest on the morning show of my favorite radio station in Seattle. He was great on that show, but of course, no one was asking him for an autograph.
Pat Cashman? My former boss was Dustin Hornby, the "Chairman of the Board" if that's the show you're talking about. Unfortunately Cashman was long gone from the Buzz by the time I started working there so I never met either him or Nye.
Old 23 June 2007, 06:39 PM
Trixie Tang

Please, please, please don't tell me Bill Nye is anything less than a swell guy. He was my last celebrity crush.

Ahh, Bill Nye... fodder for so many nerdy pre-teen girl fantasies...
Old 23 June 2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
It's possible he just doesn't like to sign autographs, but people who think celebrities are obligated to sign autographs on demand take any turn-down as a personal insult.

- snopes
OMG it's snopes!! Please sign this autograph!

I used to love watching Bill Nye. He was a hell of an actor if he's a jerk in the "real world".
Old 23 June 2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachrymose View Post
OMG it's snopes!! Please sign this autograph!
Oh yeah. If I am ever in San Diego and I see snopes eating at a restaurant I will totally be a fanboy and demand that he autographs whatever shirt I am currently wearing. Not Barbara though because I hear she isn't very nice when you ask for that sort of thing.
Old 23 June 2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
Oh yeah. If I am ever in San Diego and I see snopes eating at a restaurant I will totally be a fanboy and demand that he autographs whatever shirt I am currently wearing. Not Barbara though because I hear she isn't very nice when you ask for that sort of thing.
Careful man! I heard that this one guy who asked snopes for an autograph woke up a day later in a bathtub full of ice. AND HE WAS MISSING A KIDNEY!!!!

- p
Old 23 June 2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaDiddle View Post
Careful man! I heard that this one guy who asked snopes for an autograph woke up a day later in a bathtub full of ice. AND HE WAS MISSING A KIDNEY!!!!
That is true and the guy you are talking about was none other than Jesus Christ!
Old 23 June 2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
That is true and the guy you are talking about was none other than Jesus Christ!
No, no, no. It was a fox with mange!

--Logoboros
Old 23 June 2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logoboros View Post
No, no, no. It was a fox with mange!

--Logoboros
A fox's head with mange! The rest of the body was a burlap sack!

...and that burlap sack was none other than Jesus Christ!
Old 23 June 2007, 09:43 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

I could understand his "unwillingness" to sign autographs. You gotta give him some time to just be Bill Nye. I know I would go crazy if I had to be "on" all the time.

I once (almost) ran into Ted Kennedy in an airport (big man). Part of me wanted to run up to him asking for his autograph. The intelligent part of me wanted to stay put.

Yes, the intelligent part won out that time.
Old 24 June 2007, 05:56 PM

In response to someone's comment way up the page, no, my bad encounter *wasn't* with Ringo... if I had the opportunity to talk to Ringo, I'd love it, I wouldn't care how he acted! It was actually one of the kids.

Not wanting to talk about his show is one thing... berating me for watching his show at my age is another! (I couldn't believe that one... I mean, I complimented him on it; it's not like I said "Wow, you sucked on that stupid train show" or something.)

Incidentally though, I've never actually heard bad things about Ringo - before his hands were full with working on 'Human Giant' (it's on MTV, you should watch it), I had the opportunity to talk with another (MUCH NICER) Shining Time castmember, Jason Woliner. He got to do promotional appearances with Ringo, and loved 'em! So I dunno... different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 24 June 2007, 06:13 PM

Is it just me or does he look like Dr. Kinsey?
Old 24 June 2007, 08:02 PM
Fiver

EDIT: Spanked, my computer wasn't showing images...
Old 25 June 2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Pat Cashman? My former boss was Dustin Hornby, the "Chairman of the Board" if that's the show you're talking about. Unfortunately Cashman was long gone from the Buzz by the time I started working there so I never met either him or Nye.
It was KMTT the Mountain, not the Buzz. I don't remember the names of the DJs.

It was the best morning show either. Much higher music content and far better guest quality than most other morning shows. One day they interviewed Paul McCartney.