snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 19 June 2007, 01:22 AM

Blow Your Top Doctors Find 6 Sewing Needles in Baby

Doctors in southern China were planning to perform surgery on a 1-year-old boy whose parents took him to a hospital because he had been unusually fussy and learned he had six sewing needles in his body.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070618/D8PRFCL03.html
Old 19 June 2007, 01:27 AM
Doug4.7

Icon86

And my parents freaked when I swallowed a bobby pin.....
Old 19 June 2007, 07:01 AM
Lady Neeva

Babies swallow the darnedest things -- once I escaped from my keepers and ate a deodorizing ring/cake thing from the diaper pail. I had a friend as a child who's mother said he managed to break into a closet and eat rat poison.

Fortunately in both cases medical assistance was quickly obtained. Or at least, I'm still here to annoy people heh.

They're also known for sticking things in weird places -- my youngest sister once got a crouton stuck up her nose, requiring a doctor to get it out. Now almost 30 years later we're in a constant battle with her 2 (almost 3) year old daughter trying to teach her not to stick french fries up her nose. Or anywhere else, like her aunts' or grandmother's noses. Oddly enough she's never tried sticking one in the cats' or dog's noses -- she did once try to poke "that funny pink spot" under Keiran's tail though. Needless to say he was quite offended, and the adults in charge of her at the time gave her an impromptu lesson on "kitty's private places".
Old 19 June 2007, 07:14 AM

How the heck did he get one through the top of his head and two in his scrotum if he swallowed them?
Old 19 June 2007, 12:56 PM

From reading the article they weren't swallowed. And the parents say no strangers had been around the baby, so someone in the family must have stuck the child with the needles.
Poor kid.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:28 PM
Malalaise

Acupuncture gone awry?

It's a really strange story,from the repeated visits to the hospital the parents seem genuinely concerned for the child,yet how could he end up with sewing needles inside him?Unless the parents have a maunchausen(sp?) by proxy it doesn't make sense.
Old 19 June 2007, 06:08 PM

I remember reading an article not long ago about people who killed unwanted infants by driving needle into the soft spot and hoping it would be passed off as SIDS, and not be investigated. I'll look around and see if I can find it again.