snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Closed Thread

Old 24 June 2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Surely most people who consider themselves "pro-life" are also pro-contraception? If so, why are the loons in charge?
The loons are in charge because they yell louder. Well, I don't know, really, but I think it has something to do with the "where do you draw the line?" line of logic. The people who firmly believe that the line is drawn before sperm meets egg are the ones who have no problem speaking out loudly and often because they see absolutely no shade of gray at all. Those who will concede that birth control is a good thing have to admit that they have decided to embrace a bit of gray, and it gets harder to judge everyone else. Maybe.

I think ignorance is a HUGE part of it, really. Most people are content to rely on what other people tell them. I think the average pro-lifer is actually genuinely concerned with what they feel is a horrible injustice, but they are being manipulated by power-hungry politicians and extreme groups led by power-hungry people. So when the average person is told partial-birth abortion happens often and is horrid, and Plan B is an abortion pill, they Freak Out, even though if their best friend had a fetus with anencephaly they'd support the friend's choice to PBA, or even though they take the Pill themselves. It's ignorance and misguided trust in people who claim righteousness.
Old 24 June 2007, 05:16 AM

I'll agree with that. I used to be against the morning after pill because i thought it was an abortion pill. Now that i know better i'm all for it. Personally i blame the religious right. They make our side look really bad. And just so you know, not all Pro-Lifers are religious. You'd think that'd be obvious but when i hear pro-choicers ranting they often describe us as all being religious zealots and if we would just leave religion out of it abortion wouldn't even be debated at all. Wrong. I'm an agnostic whose just a hair's breath away from being full blown atheist and as you all know, i'm Pro-Life.
Old 24 June 2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
You'd think that'd be obvious but when i hear pro-choicers ranting they often describe us as all being religious zealots and if we would just leave religion out of it abortion wouldn't even be debated at all. Wrong.
Where were you when I tried to make that point 20 pages ago?
Old 24 June 2007, 05:33 AM

Probably at work.
Old 24 June 2007, 04:45 PM
Trixie Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
I'll agree with that. I used to be against the morning after pill because i thought it was an abortion pill. Now that i know better i'm all for it. Personally i blame the religious right. They make our side look really bad. And just so you know, not all Pro-Lifers are religious. You'd think that'd be obvious but when i hear pro-choicers ranting they often describe us as all being religious zealots and if we would just leave religion out of it abortion wouldn't even be debated at all. Wrong. I'm an agnostic whose just a hair's breath away from being full blown atheist and as you all know, i'm Pro-Life.
You're not the only one who's frustrated by the representation of you're "side." I'm a moderately religious pro-choicer, and I'm sick of radicals getting all the press. It makes it look like pro-choice people are anti-Christian feminists who will rip the fetus out of any woman passing by.
Old 24 June 2007, 05:03 PM
We'veBeenHad

I get steamed seeing children holding up bloody jars and huge signs of chopped up babies. Pro-lifers are definitely not all like that
Old 10 July 2007, 10:47 PM

God help the world if people are gullible enough to be hooked by this.
Old 13 July 2007, 10:32 PM

Flame

Anyone been to the site lately? Warning before you go: it now contains disturbing images. I'd be in favor of a mod putting up a warning in the OP, now that the site has changed.

I was about to present it to a friend of mine (the one who sent me the midwife story) as an example of an emotionally charged Internet scam. I decided to make sure it was still up, and it's still up all right, only now it's filled with the images favored by the kooks. I certainly didn't plan on that.
Old 14 July 2007, 01:33 AM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCosmicJive View Post
Anyone been to the site lately? Warning before you go: it now contains disturbing images. I'd be in favor of a mod putting up a warning in the OP, now that the site has changed.
It's not even the images that bother me the most now - it's the words added to the page. Look what you made me do...there never was a baby, 200,000 people got pranked. Suck it. Might as well have just said nyah, nyah and stuck out his tongue.

It's times like this that I wish I believed in hell because there'd be a special place there for this "person".
Old 14 July 2007, 02:27 AM

How idiotic. It might have been thought-provoking to turn it into a "there wasn't a baby, but were you prepered to put your money where your mouth is?" type thing. What's the point of "you got pranked?"
Old 14 July 2007, 02:35 AM

Neener, Neener

What can I say? He thought we were as gullible as the people he was "pranking":

Quote:
Comment: On http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/helpmybabylive.asp, you pointed
out that the site www.helpmybabylive.com is registered in my name.
However, it is actually registered i the name of my company,
InvisiHosting.com. One of the services we provide is 3rd party domain
registration, which allows people to get a domain without having to
identify themselves. I am not the operator of helpmybabylive.com, just
the web host.

Also, the post on my blog that you link to has not been "removed from the
internet". I had to change servers thanks to the assholes who decided
that they prefer fascism over free speech, and there was some down time
while that process happened. Nothing nefarious about it.

I'd appreciate it if you'd post these corrections and clarifications.
(Note that we never said the "site" was registered in his name; we pointed out that the PayPal account being used to accept donations was his.)
Old 14 July 2007, 05:14 AM

On abortion, a few points:
1. My mom had one, with what would've been my little brother or sister. I never knew until years later, and resented it for some time, as it was right at the time I was begging for a little sister.

But it was my stepdad's baby, and at that time, I didn't know he existed....she was still married to my dad. So while I don't agree with it, I do understand why she did it: she still held onto the notion that she'd somehow magically become strong enough to break it off with my stepdad and my dad would take her back.

2. The point of the previous being, for many years after that, she considered birth control to be as bad/evil/murderous as she now considered abortion to be. Did I ever mention I have five younger siblings? She'd have NEVER started taking it, except that after her last was born, the doctor told her that if she had another, it'd kill her. She wasn't convinced, but she did accept it.....

3. There is a sign up in the health dept. here. It's in the room where they make you wait for the results of a pregnancy test. It has a quote on it, something to the effect of, "No child is born with his full birthright unless he is born wanted." That's not it exactly but it's been years enough since I've been in that room that I can't remember. I really want to come up with some excuse to find myself in that room again, and attach a sticky note stating that unplanned and unwanted aren't always the same thing.
Closed Thread