snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 09 January 2007, 03:59 PM
Orshee

Mouse Gold Fringe = Martial Law?

I noticed during Ford's funeral that the U.S. flag being carried in his procession had gold fringe. I've only seen this on flags being carried or on flags that are indoors (e.g., in courtrooms). I was curious about the fringe, and a quick search turned up the answer - 1) it's decorative, and, 2) per an Executive Order issued by Eisenhower, it's the military flag.

I also found a lot of sites, like this one, by people insisting that the gold-fringed flag represents martial law (since it's the military flag, I guess) and that it does not represent the U.S. but "a foreign embassy."

Has anyone else heard of this? It's obviously crap, but I wonder how paranoid you have to be to make the leap from Eisenhower's E.O. to the declaration of martial law. There's a gold-fringed flag at my gym. According to these folks I should be bringing my passport to work out, since I'm no longer in the U.S. when I'm on the StairMaster.
Old 09 January 2007, 04:01 PM

US Embassies are, in fact, US soil, and they don't operate under martial law.
Old 09 January 2007, 04:06 PM
Orshee

They're not saying it's a U.S. embassy, they're saying it's a foreign embassy, one that is "not recognized by any nation on the earth."
Old 09 January 2007, 04:31 PM

From Orshee's link:

Quote:
The flags displayed in State courts and courts of the United States have gold or yellow fringes.

When you enter a courtroom displaying a gold or yellow fringed flag, you have just entered into a foreign country, and you better have your passport with you, because you may not be coming back to the land of the free for a long time. The judge sitting under a gold or yellow fringe flag becomes the "captain" or "master" of that ship or enclave and he has absolute power to make the rules as he goes. The gold or yellow fringe flag is your warning that you are leaving your Constitutionally secured RIGHTS on the floor outside the door to that courtroom.
Isn't it a bit of a waste of time for the USA to have laws, then? Or does this guy think that the laws of the USA are only there as a smokescreen to distract you from the fact that none of them apply in a court, and the judge can do what he likes?

(eta)
Quote:
If you are in Spain and you see the National Flag of Spain, you would know that you are under the jurisdiction of Spain; and their laws govern you at this time. You are officially NOTICED when you see their flag.
So if you go to Spain and don't see a flag, then their laws don't apply to you! Excellent!

I love conspiracy theorists - they're hilarious...
Old 09 January 2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orshee View Post
They're not saying it's a U.S. embassy, they're saying it's a foreign embassy, one that is "not recognized by any nation on the earth."
My bad. I thought they were just confused. Clearly they are also paranoid and deluded.
Old 09 January 2007, 07:58 PM
Gofer

Shifty Eyes

They go on to say that judges are appointed because they are military officers. The population is apparently not allowed to vote judges into or out of office (gee, tell that to my cousin who just ran for circuit judge), since you do not elect military officers.

Gee, I wonder what the rank insignia is for a judge. All the judges I've ever seen wear business suits under their robes.

Man, that is a paranoid site. I'm sorry I gave it my traffic, now.

Gofer
Old 11 January 2007, 08:30 AM

Whoa, you mean Dale Gribble from King of the Hill isn't the only one who thinks a gold fringe flag represents a naval court-martial?
Old 16 January 2007, 07:31 AM
senbassador

"I noticed during Ford's funeral that the U.S. flag being carried in his procession had gold fringe. I've only seen this on flags being carried or on flags that are indoors (e.g., in courtrooms). I was curious about the fringe, and a quick search turned up the answer - 1) it's decorative, and, 2) per an Executive Order issued by Eisenhower, it's the military flag."

Well, techniclly the President is also the Chief in Command. And I guess that applies to ex-Presidents in some weird way. So in a way, Ford's funeral is techniclly a military funeral. This would be the case with any other general or high ranking soilder. I guess that would explain the "military flag" thing.

"They go on to say that judges are appointed because they are military officers. The population is apparently not allowed to vote judges into or out of office (gee, tell that to my cousin who just ran for circuit judge), since you do not elect military officers."

Yeah, that urban ledend is just plain retarded. A basic civics lesson 101 would of told you that judges are part of the Judicial branch and the military is an extention of the executive branch (well, sort of). I don't see the connection.

As to why judges don't always get elected, thats cause the founders of the constitution didn't want mob rule. However, since lower courts are created by Congress (elected officials) ad-hoc, that does not allways apply.

So unless you are talking about Judges in military jag tribunals, I really dont see a connection.
Old 17 January 2007, 09:46 PM

Icon18

Snopes spotting (literally) of the gold fringed flag UL.

Some info on the UL's origin.

buf 'if it's on the main site, I can't find it' ungla
Old 17 January 2007, 10:31 PM

Bufungla, I'm getting an access error trying to load your links to the old board.
Quote:
Sorry, either your membership has not yet been approved or the board administrators have removed your ability to post to this board. We cannot allow you to perform this action as a result.
Old 18 January 2007, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
Bufungla, I'm getting an access error trying to load your links to the old board.
[hiack]Clear your cookies and that will go away.[/hijack]
Old 18 January 2007, 06:35 AM
Invictus

I've got one question I would like to hear the conspiracy theorists answer:

If you're going to impose martial law, why would you do it secretly?
Old 19 January 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Quote:
If you are in Spain and you see the National Flag of Spain, you would know that you are under the jurisdiction of Spain; and their laws govern you at this time. You are officially NOTICED when you see their flag.
So if you go to Spain and don't see a flag, then their laws don't apply to you! Excellent!
And if you happen to see a US flag in Spain it means that you are under US jurisdiction. This is getting interesting.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:16 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by senbassador View Post
Well, techniclly the President is also the Chief in Command. And I guess that applies to ex-Presidents in some weird way. So in a way, Ford's funeral is techniclly a military funeral. This would be the case with any other general or high ranking soilder. I guess that would explain the "military flag" thing.
Aside from the former-Commander-in-Chief thing, Gerald Ford was a Navy veteran who spent two years on the USS Monterey during the second World War. He'd have received a military funeral (if his family wanted one) even if he'd never been President.

Four Kitties
Old 19 January 2007, 01:00 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofer View Post
Gee, I wonder what the rank insignia is for a judge. All the judges I've ever seen wear business suits under their robes.
The robe is the rank insignia, of course! The rank is "Judge".

Actually, there are more insignia for higher judges or special legal branches as well as medals such as the "Court Good Conduct Medal" and the "Combat against Liberal Lawyers Badge", but since the whole Martial Law thing is secret, they are only worn at Judges Meetings and for the daily Court Debriefing sessions.

Trust me, I'm a lawyer!

Don "Legal Overseas Ribbon" Enrico
Old 19 January 2007, 01:03 PM
Doug4.7

Shifty Eyes

Garsh, and I thought the fringe was there just to be fancy....
Old 19 January 2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
And if you happen to see a US flag in Spain it means that you are under US jurisdiction. This is getting interesting.
And I'm apparently under Mexican jurisdiction around here a lot.
Old 19 January 2007, 01:44 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
And I'm apparently under Mexican jurisdiction around here a lot.
Wow, I went from Ireland to Italiy to Brazil in under 10 minutes today....

Four Kitties
Old 19 January 2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Wow, I went from Ireland to Italiy to Brazil in under 10 minutes today....
And I live across the street from Puerto Rico, and down the street from Texas! But only sometimes.
Old 19 January 2007, 03:38 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
And I live across the street from Puerto Rico, and down the street from Texas! But only sometimes.
And my dorm room is a territory of Austria. Cool!