snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 12 June 2007, 06:23 AM

Airplane F-15 midair collision

Comment: Video of F-15 midair collision. Is this true? My experience as a former carrier pilot tells me this might have happened, but the landing images don't look authentic to me.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/F15.wmv
Old 12 June 2007, 11:04 AM

Ponder

That clip is just a cheesy ‘reconstruction’ but the event is real. Plenty of lift left on the Eagle, he’d have come in a bit rapid but those big engines obviously kept him stable enough to land – like he said though, if he ‘saw’ the damage I’m sure he’d have punched out sharpish
Old 12 June 2007, 02:09 PM

Can;t see the clip because I am work, but is it the "one wing landing" of the F15?

if so, true.
Old 12 June 2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Can;t see the clip because I am work, but is it the "one wing landing" of the F15?

if so, true.
That's it. Pretty cool.
Old 12 June 2007, 09:57 PM
Griffin2020

If an aircraft has a thrust to weight ratio of greater then 1:1, then it is theoretically possible to keep the aircraft airborne with no wings.

The F15, F14 (C+ and D), F/A-18, Su33 all have greater then 1:1 combat thrust to weight rating.

Considering that the F14 was a 65000 pound aircraft, that is pretty impressive...
Old 12 June 2007, 10:06 PM
iskinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin2020 View Post
If an aircraft has a thrust to weight ratio of greater then 1:1, then it is theoretically possible to keep the aircraft airborne with no wings.
True, but then having enough control to successfully land on one's wheels adds an extra "wow" to the scene.

Rockets go up just fine, they often come down much less gracefully.
Old 12 June 2007, 11:48 PM
Baikal

Certainly true. I remember it came up a few months ago at another message board I frequent. I don't have access to that now, but at the time I knew I could confirm not only the incident, but that the airframe in question (957) had gone on to score two kills two and a half years later and was, as of 2004, still in service with the IAF.

-Baikal
Old 13 June 2007, 05:17 AM

Losing a wing would not be so much a thrust to wieght ratio as to wing lift to wieght ratio. The pilot had to increase speed to increase lift on the remaning lifting surfaces. You would also need enough control surfaces that will help you remain stable in the air.
Old 15 June 2007, 08:13 PM

Maybe I missed it, but what about the other plane and its crew?
Old 15 June 2007, 08:26 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
Maybe I missed it, but what about the other plane and its crew?
As far as I can gather the other aircraft was destroyed, but the crew ejected to safety.
Old 15 June 2007, 08:38 PM
Baikal

From the pilot's description:

http://www.uss-bennington.org/phz-nowing-f15.html

Quote:
At some point I collided with one of the Skyhawks, at first I didn't realize it. I felt a big strike, and I thought we passed through the jet stream of one of the other aircraft. Before I could react, I saw the big fire ball created by the explosion of the Skyhawk.

The radio started to deliver calls saying that the Skyhawk pilot has ejected, and I understood that the fireball was the Skyhawk, that exploded, and the pilot was ejected automatically.
And from the IAF itself:

http://www.iaf.org.il/Templates/Flig...ocfolderID=377

Quote:
May 1st 1983
An F-15 and a Skyhawk collide in the course of a training flight. The Skyhawk pilot bails out, while the F-15 pilot manages to land his plane without its right wing. [emphasis added]
There's nothing said about what happened post-ejection, but I haven't turned up anything suggesting the pilot was killed or injured afterwards, so presumably (and hopefully) not.

-Baikal