snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 11 June 2007, 07:02 PM

Crash By Thomas Kinkade - The Rain

Well, it's no "God is a windshield wiper", but what can ya do. it gives us three - count 'em, three - Kincaid pictures turned into gifs, as well as a lot of question marks.

Quote:
By Thomas Kinkade - The Rain

No dubious devil on this one.? If you are not familiar with Thomas Kinkades' painting, he is noted for his skies.???

?Make ?sure you keep this open a minute or so and ?forward on so that you can see the rain in the ?paintings.
The Rain - Thomas Kinkade ?

Stop at ?the picture for a second, and watch the Rain... ?then read on... ???

Hope the water ?flows when you get the picture

This is a Thomas Kinkade ?painting. ?It's rumored to carry a miracle! ?????

The water is supposed to ?be running, so if it's not moving then the ?picture
didn't come through entirely. ?

They say if you pass ?this on, you will receive a miracle.
I am ?passing this on because I thought it was really ?pretty,
and besides, who couldn't use a ?miracle?
Old 11 June 2007, 07:08 PM
Danamac448

I was an art major in college, and there was this art supply shop that I used to go into all the time. And in that shop, there was a huge poster in the back that read, "GOOD ART SHOULDN'T MATCH YOUR SOFA." I've tried to live by that motto for my personal art pieces, as well as the pieces I choose to go in my house. And therefore, me no likey Thomas Kinkade.

I guess the miracle for me is that I'm seeing a bunch of Red X's.
Old 11 June 2007, 07:17 PM

Praise be! You don't have to poke out your eyes!

The first was in the "God is like a windshield wiper" glurge from the old board, of a street with rain and a terrible early video game looking frame around it. The second picture is of a waterfall, and the third (the alledged "miracle" picture) is one of those cottages in the woods near a stream with a bridge deals. The water moves in all the pictures. Now I have to go blind myself. Bye bye.
Old 11 June 2007, 07:26 PM

I'm not ? sure what the ? hell the ?miracle in these pictures are ?supposed to be, but I ?am sure that these Thomas ?Kincaide pictures are every bit ? as eye putting out and ?nauseating as any others I have ?ever seen.
Old 11 June 2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
If you are not familiar with Thomas Kinkades' painting, he is noted for his skies.???
If you're not even sure, then what chance does a person who've never seen these paintings before have?

heh heh.."Kinkade"...heh heh... "For your next sexual conquest, don't forget to load up on a bottle of Kinkade! Kinkade contains 75% more Spanish Fly then other power drinks! Remember - get your kink-on with Kinkade!"
Old 11 June 2007, 08:32 PM

What's the miracle supposed to be? Is it supposed to be that the paintings are miraculous in that the water appears to move? Because the water's been animated no miracle there. Otherwise, it just looks like 3 hideous Kinkade paintings.
Old 11 June 2007, 09:04 PM

I remember that first image. It still mystifies me that someone thought that "SNES cyberpunk action game" frame was appropriate for a painting of a rainy, suburban city street.
Old 12 June 2007, 12:44 AM

Throw Tomato

My first thought upon seeing the city painting was: why would people be walking around in the rain?
Old 12 June 2007, 12:50 AM

The first one, I can actually trick my mind's eye into believing is falling rain. But the other two are just water moving back and forth. Not beautiful, not wondrous, just kinda freaky. If I saw a stream doing that I would beat it the heck out of those woods!
Old 12 June 2007, 02:51 AM

When you read it with all the question marks, I'd hate to say it, but that's exactly my SIL Holly's speech pattern. Every third word or so becomes a question. It grates on you after two minutes or less.
Old 12 June 2007, 02:57 AM
MissBethiepoo

hey, I kind of like Kinkade's paintings. In fact, I have one of his museum quality prints of "A Perfect Red Rose" which is hanging on the wall right beside me (course I didn't actually buy it, I won it in a drawing, but its still mine).

The glurge however is pretty stupid.
Old 12 June 2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
The first one, I can actually trick my mind's eye into believing is falling rain. But the other two are just water moving back and forth. Not beautiful, not wondrous, just kinda freaky. If I saw a stream doing that I would beat it the heck out of those woods!
I don't think it's even moving back and forth. Looks like someone uses two images with filters thrown on 'em for the second two. I could do better than that in two seconds with a lightbox and some colored pencils. Oh, and some Elmer's glue.

You want a miracle? It's a miracle this Ex-Disney Special Effects animation has such beautiful looking water, and yet does not vcause my painfully slow computer to implode.
ETA: The aniamtion with the water is too purty for Flash. It's possible it was done in 3D Max and then exported as a flash file, but I am not sure. Either way, it rocks.
Old 12 June 2007, 03:41 AM

The second painting isn't by Thomas Kinkaide. Are you folks seeing the same tropical waterfall that I do? It's very much in the David Miller style. (From the link, click on "Fine Art" and then "Waterfalls".) If it's not David Miller, then it's an artist working in a similar genre like Christian Riese Lassen.

How anyone could attribute that waterfall painting to Thomas Kinkaide is beyond me.
Old 12 June 2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
The second painting isn't by Thomas Kinkaide. Are you folks seeing the same tropical waterfall that I do? It's very much in the David Miller style. (From the link, click on "Fine Art" and then "Waterfalls".) If it's not David Miller, then it's an artist working in a similar genre like Christian Riese Lassen.

How anyone could attribute that waterfall painting to Thomas Kinkaide is beyond me.
I've never heard of David Miller, but I think you are right the second one isn't at all Kinkaide, either his subject matter or his color palatte.

However, the horrible two step animation looks just as bad on it.
Old 12 June 2007, 10:58 AM

The second painting reminds me of those tacky-looking framed glass pictures they sell at stores full of similarly tacky-looking stuff. They usually come with animations and souds designed to make you feel peaceful.
Old 12 June 2007, 02:38 PM
Danamac448

I tell ya, I must be glutton for punishment, 'cause since I'm still seeing red X's here, I googled this stupid glurge so I could see the pictures (my defense is that I wanted to see the second picture to verify that it wasn't Kinkade's, and holy crap, it's not even close!). And in my google results, the "God is a windshield wiper" story was included between the pictures, along with the standard "Funny how you won't send this to everybody on your email list 'cause you're afraid of what they'll think of you."

Also...

Quote:
If you are not familiar with Thomas Kinkades' painting, he is noted for his skies.???
a.) Who in the world could possibly be unfamiliar with Kinkade's paintings? He's one of the most overly-commercialized contemporary painters of our time!

b.) Oh, wait....must be the glurge's author. 'Cause Kinkade's not famous for his skies....he's famous for the way he captures light. (Guess that's why they put it in question form.???)
Old 12 June 2007, 03:30 PM
Lee Orac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBethiepoo View Post
hey, I kind of like Kinkade's paintings. In fact, I have one of his museum quality prints of "A Perfect Red Rose" which is hanging on the wall right beside me (course I didn't actually buy it, I won it in a drawing, but its still mine).

The glurge however is pretty stupid.
Kinkade actually has museum quality work? Interesting. Now you've got me wondering who painted it.
Old 12 June 2007, 03:31 PM

Read This!

I don't blame you for googling if you can't see the pictures, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danamac448 View Post
And in my google results, the "God is a windshield wiper" story was included between the pictures, along with the standard "Funny how you won't send this to everybody on your email list 'cause you're afraid of what they'll think of you."
...I already covered that in the third post.

Quote:
Also...

Quote:
a.) Who in the world could possibly be unfamiliar with Kinkade's paintings? He's one of the most overly-commercialized contemporary painters of our time!

b.) Oh, wait....must be the glurge's author. 'Cause Kinkade's not famous for his skies....he's famous for the way he captures light. (Guess that's why they put it in question form.???)
I already pointed that out in the fifth post!
Old 12 June 2007, 05:27 PM
Danamac448

Sheesh.....and I coulda sworn I read this thread! Sorry.....

Although, while I completely admit to spacing out on the Windshield Wiper thing from post #3, the main point I was making in park B of my post was that he's NOT famous for his skies, but for his rendering of light. And then I got all smart-alekey and inadvertantly plagerized you. Which was my bad for trying to be funny.

Now, I suppose I'll just sit back and take my fish-beating.....
Old 12 June 2007, 05:33 PM

I studied those pictures, and suddenly I had to pee.

Art has never moved me that way before.