snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 05 November 2016, 03:01 AM

Default Washington State Elector: I Won't Vote for Clinton

A member of Washington state’s Democratic delegation to the Electoral College says he won’t vote for Hillary Clinton, effectively raising her threshold to win the presidency to 271 electoral votes.

“She will not get my vote, period,” Robert Satiacum told the Associated Press on Friday.

https://www.theatlantic.com/liveblog...m_source=atlfb
Old 06 November 2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
effectively raising her threshold to win the presidency to 271 electoral votes.
I remember my Poli Sci professor saying that a faithless elector (in a close election) will probably be the event that ultimate leads to abolishing the Electoral College.
Old 06 November 2016, 01:00 AM

Given that one of the Republican electors in Texas has also vowed not to vote for the party nominee, this is largely meaningless unless someone really does fail to get to 270. (And that guy might well vote for Clinton, anyway. I don't remember who he said he was voting for.)
Old 06 November 2016, 01:31 AM

Not shocked this guy is a Bernie supporter. Their modus operandi in many of the caucus states was to try and subvert democracy anyway (see Nevada). In this case, he got the job because that was their plan in Washington State - fill the place with Bernie people so a majority of electors in the state would only be Bernie people.

And yea, I'm still raw about that because not once did the Sanders campaign speak out against this practice. Apparently I'm supposed to be more upset that Hillary Clinton might have been more popular in the DNC than Bernie but totally fine with his campaign trying to undo elections that didn't go his way.
Old 06 November 2016, 01:52 AM

Outside the edit window, but I wasn't lying about how this dipshit got his elector slot. In fact, there's another one in Washington State that's also refusing to accept his constitutional duty.

1 Washington state Democratic elector won’t support Clinton, another won’t commit

Quote:
Satiacum, 56, was picked as one of 12 Democratic electors at Washington’s Democratic Party convention this year in Tacoma — a gathering dominated by supporters of Sanders, who won the state’s caucuses in March.
This is how both of them were put into power.
Old 06 November 2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Chiafalo said he believes the U.S. should ditch the Electoral College system because it is outdated in a modern society, “but as long as it is the law of the land we need to be honest about it and respect it.”
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 08 November 2016, 03:06 AM

If the guy has one job (to vote for his party's nominee) and can't even do that, he should be fired. Millions of people vote for the person they want and this can be overruled by one person? It is truly mystifying why the US would tolerate with such a stupid system.

(And while your making much needed changes, adopt the metric system and put the "I" back into "aluminum").
Old 08 November 2016, 03:34 AM

As soon as you learn how to spell "you're"

But I think I'd rather have a dollar coin that people actually use than changing the spelling of aluminum.
Old 08 November 2016, 12:34 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
But I think I'd rather have a dollar coin that people actually use than changing the spelling of aluminum.
And a half-dollar and a two dollar bill as well!

But I might be swayed if adoption of "aluminium" was linked to the pronunciation of "jaguar" as "jag-u-er" and universal use of the phrase "in hospital".
Old 08 November 2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
I remember my Poli Sci professor saying that a faithless elector (in a close election) will probably be the event that ultimate leads to abolishing the Electoral College.
And I'm thinking that hopefully this is the year that there are enough faithless electors that the Electoral College is justified.

And if neither Trump nor Clinton gets 270 votes, then the House of Representatives votes from the top THREE candidates. Each state gets one vote. Republicans have the majority in 32 states. I do not know it would be decided if there was a tie for the third party candidates.

At the same time, the Senate votes for the top TWO candidates for Vice President, and each Senator gets one vote. The Republicans have a majority of 54 Senators.

But would the House Republicans go for Trump? A compromise deal for McMullin or Johnson is possible. And if no one gets 26 votes by January 20th, then whoever the Senate chose as Vice President will become President.

And another twist. The new House of Representatives take their seats on the 3rd of January. So any significant change in the House could affect the vote if no candidate succeeded yet.

Yes, I really am hoping that it goes to the House and we get spared Trump and Clinton.
Old 08 November 2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
And if neither Trump nor Clinton gets 270 votes, then the House of Representatives votes from the top THREE candidates. Each state gets one vote. Republicans have the majority in 32 states. I do no ... any significant change in the House could affect the vote if no candidate succeeded yet.
Damn, that's more complicated than the college football overtime rules.
Old 08 November 2016, 05:40 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
Each state gets one vote. Republicans have the majority in 32 states.
But it's the incoming House (i.e., the Representatives chosen in today's election) who would be voting, not the current House.
Old 08 November 2016, 06:06 PM

I think the last line in pinqy's post addresses that.