snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 09 December 2017, 09:59 PM

It's important to remember that there are actual differences between Democrats and Republicans. It clearly has not hurt the GOP to not just be the more racist and misogynist party, but to become the blatantly racist and misogynist party.

They don't care much or at all about sexual harassment, except if it hurts them at the polls. For Democrats it's one of our strong values to work toward equality and support those who have been victims of assault and harassment. And we think those who have done the assaulting and harassing should not be left in positions of power. Republicans don't care as much about those things, and it will hurt them much less than it would hurt us to do nothing about it.

Certainly we can hope that people will be turned off by their actions, but for people who hold a value of being a strong leader above a value of working toward equality, these accusations don't lead to the same results.
Old 09 December 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Yeah, in something that could be cross-posted with the Things You Shouldn't Have To Tell People, "but it's a lesser crime than the one the other guy committed" is not taking the moral high ground.
And seeing as it's something I scoff at when "the other side" does it, I'm not about to endorse it for "my side" either.
Old 10 December 2017, 03:34 AM

Mouse

I'm with everyone here. If I have to hear one more usage of the Whataboutism defense, I may just lunge through screens and start choking the shit out of people. To quote a lesson my mom has beat into my head since preschool: Two Wrongs Don't Make A Write!

I'm wondering which would better drive the point home: tattooing it onto idiots in blood-red letters (said tattoo will be done the Yakuza way where shards of bamboo are used to drive the ink beneath the skin) or using a board to literally beat the message into their heads via Morse Code.
Old 10 December 2017, 03:52 AM

I think my irony meter just broke.
Old 10 December 2017, 04:50 AM

Mouse, that was kinda extreme even for you.
Old 11 December 2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm with everyone here. If I have to hear one more usage of the Whataboutism defense, I may just lunge through screens and start choking the shit out of people. To quote a lesson my mom has beat into my head since preschool: Two Wrongs Don't Make A Write!
You mean right, correct? Anyhow the biggest problem about the "whataboutism" technique in debate is that it is very effective. Like most deflection techniques its very effective at distracting people and unless you have a moderator who can say "knock that crap out", people will be distracted by it. Its even worse since it does more than just distraction. Most of the time it goes unchallenged which just makes it used more since its working.

People are easily distracted by false equivalence - it takes actual work to separate out crap like that and by the time you do, the original point is lost.

But in general it works. Republicans use these things since it works - its their MO to call out perceived hypocrisy and be immune to their own. They are playing with a loaded deck and their supporters seem not to care about it. Democrats seem to have to play against a loaded set of dice and have to seemingly disadvantage themselves. Republicans don't care. They play unfairly in so many ways and no matter what, it works.
Old 11 December 2017, 01:11 AM

Mouse

Dang it, I made the obvious homonym error and the edit window has long closed... #FirstWorldProblem