snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 06 December 2017, 06:36 PM

Darth Credence, I'm glad you posted that, I was thinking the same thing but hadn't quite put it into words.
Old 06 December 2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
From a G&T standpoint, I would expect that board to reflect society at large.
I am evidently not one of them, because all I could think of was G&T = Gin & Tonic.

Interesting that Seaboe also did not have AP classes. My high school in Seattle did not have them when I was attending, even though other high schools did at that time. They have since introduced AP classes.

My high school also did not weight the courses, so an A in cooking would be weighted the same in calculus. And there are many days that I think the A in cooking should be weighted more than calculus.

Last edited by Die Capacitrix; 06 December 2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: English might be my native language. But German is confusing things.
Old 06 December 2017, 08:00 PM

My high school didn't have AP classes, although many area schools did. The rationale was that any student who wanted to take an advanced course and get college credit early could take a class at Kent State. It didn't strike me as an idea solution, since taking a class at the university 1) cost more than taking an AP test did; and 2) presented scheduling and/or transportation problems for kids who were still taking high school classes, and HS was of no help with either.
Old 06 December 2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
One summer, I worked in a factory. I was reading during lunch break and was told by my supervisor that reading materials were NOT allowed in the factory at all, and if I wanted to read I would have to go to my car (which involved clocking out, then clocking back in). Otherwise, I could be fired.
Many years ago a friend's boss at her waitressing job found her studying during her unpaid break, and told her to stop because it would distract her from work (serving food to drunks during bar rush).
Old 07 December 2017, 07:37 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My high school didn't have AP classes, although many area schools did. The rationale was that any student who wanted to take an advanced course and get college credit early could take a class at Kent State. It didn't strike me as an idea solution, since taking a class at the university 1) cost more than taking an AP test did; and 2) presented scheduling and/or transportation problems for kids who were still taking high school classes, and HS was of no help with either.
My school system didn't have AP or Gifted and Talented classes either; if you were that mathematically gifted you took a class at UW-Madison. I knew several people who took an afternoon advanced calculus class there, and one said there were several others from other high schools in it. Still, not having AP/Gifted and Talented classes didn't stop one fellow student from heading off to CalTech at 15.
Old 07 December 2017, 12:51 PM

TYSHTTP: If the guy you are dating says he doesn't want kids, EVER, and says it often and clearly enough that friends and others around you know that hey, that guy does NOT ever want to have kids, he doesn't want to have kids. Expecting that he will change his mind is a bad idea.
Old 07 December 2017, 01:40 PM

One advantage of a conveyor toaster, especially in a cafeteria, is that more than one item can be toasted at a time, allowing more than one person to be served. If, while you wait for your item to toast, you stand directly in front of the toaster, blocking everyone else's access, you eliminate that advantage.
Old 07 December 2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
One advantage of a conveyor toaster, especially in a cafeteria, is that more than one item can be toasted at a time, allowing more than one person to be served. If, while you wait for your item to toast, you stand directly in front of the toaster, blocking everyone else's access, you eliminate that advantage.
And don't put danishes, muffins (except for English muffins), etc in them. They will cause a fire. Mr S used to work the omelet station at a hotel breakfast buffet and always had to keep an eye on the people using the toaster. In spite of the big sign, people would still put those things in.
Old 07 December 2017, 02:50 PM

I started a fire in one with a badly-cut bagel once. I was too short to reach the plug to unplug it, so I had to call one of the cafeteria workers over.
Old 07 December 2017, 03:21 PM

I hate conveyor toasters as they are so hit or miss as to doneness of the toast. First pass, toast has been warmed. Second pass, toast has turned beige. Third pass, toast is now a slab of charcoal.
Old 07 December 2017, 03:48 PM

Glasses

Quote:
My high school didn't have AP classes, although many area schools did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
My high school in Seattle did not have them when I was attending, even though other high schools did at that time.
My town had exactly one high school, and no AP. They did, however, have a major state university (still do, for that matter). A very high percentage of the graduating classes went on to college. It was possible, as a senior, to take Calculus for college credit rather than high school credit. That option went away when Calculus became a regular high school class.

None of that has anything to do with intelligence scores or mensa or intellectual snobbishness, of course. Just me blathering on.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 07 December 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07 December 2017, 03:54 PM

My high school also was (and still is) the only one in the school district.
Old 07 December 2017, 07:00 PM

The movie Con Air was not a documentary. Even though it is true that the US government operates prisoner transport flights, you really can't cite a fictional Hollywood movie as proof of that. That's no more valid than claiming the existence of Hobbits was well documented in the Lord of the Rings movies.
Old 07 December 2017, 10:30 PM

What if I also saw it on the Internetz?
Old 08 December 2017, 03:18 PM

Richard, that would count. It would also count if the person had cited Orange Is The New Black, as that is on TV.
Old 08 December 2017, 04:36 PM

If I'm trying to figure something out, don't keep asking me if I have it figured out yet. I'll let you know when I have whatever I am trying to figure out, figured out.