snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 April 2018, 02:09 AM

Default Movies you've seen recently

Blockers was a surprise. The trailer looked aggressively unpleasant. I wasn't planning to see it until all the positive reviews started coming in, and they made it clear that it wasn't like the trailer. Weird that they thought it would be better to market it the way they did. The movie was constantly subverting the teen sex comedy cliches from the trailer.

Only two of the parents were trying to police their daughters, and the movie wasn't taking their side on that at all. One of the main three parents and several supporting character parents were trying to talk them out of it. A lot of it was empty nest anxiety, and their arc was that they had to learn to deal with it after a lot of self-inflicted pain. The girls had a sweet friendship, and three quite different outcomes from one another, all of them positive. Their love interests all seemed genuinely nice and were not strong personalities driving the situation.
Old 13 April 2018, 05:35 PM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Blockers was a surprise. The trailer looked aggressively unpleasant. I wasn't planning to see it until all the positive reviews started coming in, and they made it clear that it wasn't like the trailer. Weird that they thought it would be better to market it the way they did. The movie was constantly subverting the teen sex comedy cliches from the trailer.

Only two of the parents were trying to police their daughters, and the movie wasn't taking their side on that at all. One of the main three parents and several supporting character parents were trying to talk them out of it. A lot of it was empty nest anxiety, and their arc was that they had to learn to deal with it after a lot of self-inflicted pain. The girls had a sweet friendship, and three quite different outcomes from one another, all of them positive. Their love interests all seemed genuinely nice and were not strong personalities driving the situation.
you forgot the "rooster"��... it goes along with the name...
Old 14 April 2018, 04:59 AM

Mouse

I saw Ready Player One today. I didn't like the book, so I didn't have high expectations for the movie. I was in it mostly for the visuals. Sometimes it's worth going to the movies just for the experience; the world is so much brighter and more beautiful on the silver screen.

The movie does use the outlines of the book, but it diverges a bit from it. It almost works better as a movie than it did as a book. It's true that books can touch on all senses, while movies are limited to sight and sound, but movies can sometimes do visuals on a grander scale than books.

After a while, I mostly just sat back as the pretty pictures danced across the screen. The nature of the movie's plot where the hero is trying to keep the Oasis from being taken over by soulless corporate suits, feels uncomfortably close to home, especially in light of Net Neutrality being overturned. auses to shake fists:

Though there is of course, the old themes of escapism, because let's face it, we all love ourselves some escapism. Even the Amish probably love it, though I'm not sure what their escapism is like.

This reality is just the worst. Not only are there no aliens or superpowers and Five Man Bands for me to join, it's a nonsensical mess.

As said before, the only form of fiction that comes the closest to reflecting reality, are those shitty Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books: important plot points come way the heck out of nowhere, nothing is resolved in a satisfying way, and no matter what you choose, you always end up screwed in the end.

Every form of fiction, even whacky, zany ones, have an internal logic they follow, but Reality throws out all the basic rules of plotting and logic. The worst part is that in violating these basic standards, not only is Reality a nonsensical mess, it's a BORING nonsensical mess. I'm not sure if there's one music that sums up all fictional worlds, but for Reality, the best kind of music that sums it up, is the kind produced when you sit a sugarhigh toddler at the piano, just turn them loose, and let them bang on the keys for all eternity.

Though as always, the supporting cast is so much more interesting than the White Male Protagonist, but they're stuck being backup. As for the love interest, well I'm having flashbacks to this webcomic.

Eh, I'd give the movie a two, maybe a two and a half. Like with the oeuvre of Luc Besson the large amount of pretty is almost enough to make up for the small amount of intelligence.
Old 16 April 2018, 07:55 AM

Throw Tomato

I saw A Quiet Place last week and really enjoyed it. It was a really neat mixture of science fiction and horror with a great story and performances. Also, I'm really glad that I saw this in a theater.

Brian
Old 16 April 2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
I saw A Quiet Place last week and really enjoyed it. It was a really neat mixture of science fiction and horror with a great story and performances. Also, I'm really glad that I saw this in a theater.

Brian
I am thinking about seeing this. Will I am generally ok with scaring movies, I do live alone and I am not as, well as confident, for want of a better term, as I once was.
Old 16 April 2018, 11:48 PM

Rampage is a lot of stupid fun. It's a great monster mash with some really great action sequences. Jeffery Dean Morgan chews the scenery in every bit he's in, and the bad guys feel like something out of an 80's movie with how over the top evil they are.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:24 AM

Mouse

When it comes to Ready Player One, I have to admit that doesnít take me long to start picturing how the Oasis would be used in our reality. And yes, my conclusion was that it would be mostly about sex, like every possible fetish in existence and maybe a few we havenít even heard of. Iíve increasingly wondered if Futurama isnít right about most of human endeavor being about getting laid. When that anonymous caveman invented the wheel, were the cave-dwellers like, ďYes, this will better allow for the transport of people and goods over long distances,Ē or were they like ďIímma gonna put mah dick in it?Ē

Then I also think about how the GamerGate/4chan element of the Internet, would play out. Once again, I laugh at Gene Roddenberry. He believed that better tech would lead to better communication and thus, smooth over long-standing ethnic/religious hatreds. Itís a nice ideal, but more advanced tech doesnít change the fact that people are people. You give NFBSKwits the Internet and theyíll still be NFBSKwits, only on a greater scale.
Old 21 April 2018, 11:35 AM

Finally sat down and watched Ring: Kanzenban. It’s more faithful to the book than the 1997 movie was (except Asakawa is the only incarnation to retain the wife but have no children), but the two scares the movie aims for end up more likely to annoy with how stupid they are (The video comes complete with weird apparitions, and Sadako has a child for no reason. It should be noted that the movie adapts book Sadako, who has no uterus.)
Old 27 April 2018, 12:23 AM

I saw Avengers: Infinity War last night. It had lots of great moments but it didn't blow me away, I was left feeling a bit ambivalent about the whole thing.
Old 29 April 2018, 04:06 PM

I re-watched Rasen again the other day. It’s easy to see why it flopped, and on top of that, I have a few questions.

First off, when people die in Ring, they look frightened out of their skull. Here, they die of a heart attack brought on by a nasty bout of modified…some kind of virus (I’m not entirely sure they mentioned it, but it’s smallpox in the books). Why did they choose this approach for an immediate sequel that retains two actors from the first movie? (Hiroyuki Sanada and Miki Nakatani reprise their roles as Ryuji and Mai)

For that matter…what exactly was up with Hinako Saeki as Sadako? Is she supposed to be the same girl Rie Inou played? The one brief non-well scene in the first movie seemsere to suggest she was always like that (a departure from the books: Saeki’s Sadako is more faithful, although the movie seems to be forced to not mention one crucial aspect).

And lastly…here’s a bizarre one: Towards the end, it’s revealed that one of Sadako’s goals was to clone herself: the movie never mentions that she’s intersex. The movie also never mentions how a clone of Sadako can look just like Mai. In the book, she enters as a new character who calls herself “Masako”, but the movie just has Fake Mai.
Old 29 April 2018, 04:30 PM

Went to see Peter Rabbit yesterday. I really enjoyed it and James Corden was wonderful but I'm not sure who the movie was aimed at. The children I took had fun but a lot of the humour went right over their heads and I don't think it's the kind of movie that will go into endless rotation with them the way other movies have. Still it was a pleasant way to spend a rainy day.
Old 30 April 2018, 03:11 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I saw Avengers: Infinity War last night. It had lots of great moments but it didn't blow me away, I was left feeling a bit ambivalent about the whole thing.
I was as well. Even despite its running time, I still felt like I was watching half of a movie. I know thereís Infinity Wars Part Two in the works, but the whole thing reminds me of the trend started by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where they split the last book in two. Allegedly itís because the book has so much going on that they need two movies to do the book justice, but itís probably more about money than anything else.

The problem with that approach, is you wind up with the first movie being all setup, but no payoff, while the sequel is all payoff, with no setup, leaving the viewer feeling cheated.

That was what Infinity Wars felt like: an overly long setup movie. There was some great visuals and well-crafted fight scenes, but it felt kind of hollow. They are juggling a lot of characters and as such, they canít have every character get a ton of screen time, but I found myself thinking about Captain America: Civil War. Civil War had to juggle a massive cast, but it worked due to the emotional resonance.

Obviously the film focused primarily on the drama between Steve, Tony, and Bucky, but we had some nice little moments with the rest of the cast. Whether you were on Team Cap or Team Iron, both the previous films and the current one, established why Tony and Steve made the choices they did. It puts it leaps and bounds ahead of the comic version, which started with a interesting premise, which those involved, quickly managed to squander, resulting in a muddled mess where Tony basically became

I know with all the characters, they didnít have time to do a lot of character moments, but I was still expecting more. I wanted to see Steve and Tony allied once more. My headcanon is that initially, it would be a reluctant alliance. They are still struggling with the emotional fallout from Civil War, but they know that Thanos will make hamburger out everyone on Earth, so they would bite their tongues and get to work. The stress and trauma associated with the war, would force them to gain newfound respect for the other and towards the end, it ceases to be just a ďIf we donít bury the hatchet and work together, us and everyone else, will be screwedĒ alliance. Itís a somewhat cliche idea, but thereís a reason cliches endure; often, if utilized properly, they work.

I am also disappointed with how Steve and Bucky barely said anything or interacted together, but I freely admit that Iím likely biased because I ship the living hell out of those two. Even before Civil War really clinched it, I was always more on Steve/Bucky, rather than Steve/Tony. Steve and Bucky just have so much history together. Bucky may be the last person around, who knew Steve back when he was a ninety-five pound asthmatic. He didnít want Steve to go to war, but he still thought Steve was a great guy, the kind the world needs more of.

Steve/Tony always felt kind of one-sided. I never got the feeling that Steve was anywhere near as obsessed with Tony, as Tony was with him, and said feelings are likely due more to lingering Daddy issues, than anything else.
Old 30 April 2018, 04:46 PM

I loved Infinity War. I think it was without question the best Marvel movie to date. It did a great job of giving every character as much screen time as they needed - some just didn't need that much, and that's OK. I disagree wholeheartedly that it is only half of a movie. It is only that way if you cannot fathom a movie where the bad guy wins. It told a complete story, the story just didn't end with the heroes victorious, so it seems like a lot of people think it is only half the story. If it is only half a story, then the same applies to The Empire Strikes Back.
Old 30 April 2018, 05:17 PM

Myself, I don't think I'll be able to judge Infinity War until I've seen part 4. The ending is such a gut punch that I can't even really remember how much I liked what came before, outside of bits and pieces.

It also doesn't exactly make me want to engage in repeat viewing. I can still pop the first Avengers in and watch it with enjoyment a couple of times a year, no problem. [i[Age of Ultron[/i], not as often, but occasionally. This one, I doubt I'll want to see again until maybe just before part 4 comes out, just for review. After that? Well, it will depend.

(I will be curious to see how Ant Man and the Wasp fits in with the story...)

That's about as far as I want to go without engaging in spoilers.
Old 30 April 2018, 05:25 PM

I believe that Antman And The Wasp is set before Infinity Wars, dealing with fallout from Captain America: Civil War.
Old 30 April 2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I loved Infinity War. I think it was without question the best Marvel movie to date. It did a great job of giving every character as much screen time as they needed - some just didn't need that much, and that's OK. I disagree wholeheartedly that it is only half of a movie. It is only that way if you cannot fathom a movie where the bad guy wins. It told a complete story, the story just didn't end with the heroes victorious, so it seems like a lot of people think it is only half the story. If it is only half a story, then the same applies to The Empire Strikes Back.
That was my feeling too...
This is the "ESB" of the MCU.

But I still ended up having to explain to multiple people that it had always been planned as a two parter.
Old 01 May 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
But I still ended up having to explain to multiple people that it had always been planned as a two parter.
I've heard stories about kids bursting into tears in the cinema when the film ends because no one told them there was going to be a part 2.
Old 01 May 2018, 05:54 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
That was my feeling too...
This is the "ESB" of the MCU.
I've seen Empire Strikes Back, but I don't feel Infinity Wars measures up to it in emotional resonance. Infinity Wars Part One spends so much time setting things up for Part Two and having massive battle royales, that it really doesn't have too much time to create an emotional core for everything.

While Empire Strikes Back has fight scenes and chase scenes, much of the drama of the film is simply the characters trying to keep their heads above water and keep it together. It may end on an uncertain note, but it feels like there's a clear beginning, middle, and end. Honestly in Infinity Wars, the resolution was kind of difficult to parse out. It's there, but it feels like the writers were like, "Well, this movie is hella long. We got to wrap it up."

And Empire Strikes Back has a strong emotional core at all this. Even though you know that everything will wrap up neatly in Return of the Jedi, the scenes where Han is frozen in carbonite or when Darth Vader is just utterly waling on Luke.

The film in the MCU that I feel comes closest to matching Empire Strikes Back, is Captain America 3: Civil War. Like ESB, Civil War has the bad guy essentially win. Zemo probably had no intention of winding up in a glass box at the end of everything, but technically he succeeded in his goal: he broke up The Avengers. All parties involved, whether they were on Team Cap or Team Iron, is left emotionally wrecked by all this. Not to mention the fight scene at the end, where all participants are put through the physical and emotional wringer, feels more brutal than any of the massive battles in Infinity Wars.

The audience knows that at some point, the Avengers are going to get back together and kick ass, but the ending still contains much uncertainty. Even if they do get the band back together, they can't settle into the same dynamic as before. Instead, they will have to create a new one, which is no easy feat.

I imagine Infinity Wars Part Two might be an overall stronger film than Part One, but a good movie stands on its own. Without the previous films, I'm not sure how much I would know who the players were and the traits/angsts that define them. Even if it is setting up a sequel, it should feel like a proper story, with a proper ending, not just setup with no payoff.

Admittedly, the fight scenes were cool and I love the visuals. Marvel seems to have decided to just go for broke with the visuals, like at some point, they were like, "NFBSK realism!" and they just committed themselves to the over-the-top spectacle, the bright color scheme, and just reveled in it. Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. One brought about the shift. You can't really commit to realism when two of your characters are a talking space raccoon and his best friend, who is a giant, sentient tree.

I'll look forward to Infinity Wars Part Two, but I'll be a little bit more cautious, and I'm still bitter about how Steve and Bucky barely said three lines of dialogue towards each other, but that's probably just my obsessive fangirl shipping talking.
Old 01 May 2018, 08:21 PM

Here's the other thing about ESB: It didn't actually end with Han getting frozen in carbonite -- or even with Luke getting his hand cut off. We see Lando switch sides and escape with Leia, Chewbacca, and the droids. Luke gets rescued and gets his hand replaced. And at the end, Lando and Chewie are clearly setting off on the rescue mission. It's not a triumph, but it's not a total disaster, and we see the clear possibility of a recovery.

Infinity War, on the other hand....

OK, for real-world reasons, we know parts of the ending won't stand, but there's no in-universe reason to think so (with the possible exception of Dr. Strange's last line). There's no chance for the good guys to look at each other, set their jaws in determination, and say, to paraphrase Tony's line from the first film -- "If we can't fix this, we're sure as hell going to avenge it."

(I suppose the post-credit scene does make a tiny point in that direction, but barely.)
Old 01 May 2018, 10:39 PM

Infinity War didn't end with ashes, either. It ended with watching the sun rise over a grateful universe.
And I absolutely think that it had a beginning, middle, and end. It's just that the protagonist of the movie is Thanos, and he got the ending he was going for. If we were all on Thanos' side, then the movie represented him having a clear goal, pursuing that goal in spite of obstacles in his way, sacrificing things and learning about himself in the process, and finally reaching his goal and retiring to live out the rest of his life in the universe he succeeded in creating. Again, the only reason to think it isn't complete is if you just cannot accept a movie in which the bad guy wins, even though he was the protagonist the whole time.
And sorry to all shippers, but I absolutely hate the concept of shipping, especially if it has any impact on how the actual product is received. Bucky and Cap do not have a romantic relationship. Tony and Cap do not have a romantic relationship. Loki and Thor do not have a romantic relationship. Go hog wild with Bruce and Natasha - they at least nod to it.