Old 11 October 2018, 05:17 AM

Wait, you own the rights to the series?
Old 11 October 2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Wait, you own the rights to the series?
Erm…no he doesn’t?
Old 11 October 2018, 03:25 PM

Crocoduck_hunter, I do not own the rights to the series. Nor do I profit financially from the film--the Bellairs Estate owns the rights. But I did enjoy our visit to the set.
Old 11 October 2018, 04:07 PM

I was wondering what you thought of the movie, but hesitated to ask. Glad you liked it. It does look quite different in tone from the series, so I didn't have a great feeling upon seeing the trailer, but I'll give it a go. (I love Jack Black, but while he is many things, "avuncular" isn't really one of them. At least in the trailer, Uncle Jonathan comes off as more of a gleeful manchild, whereas in the novels he always seemed to be a definite adult with a playful side that he could turn on, often for the benefit of the children in his charge. Then again, we know that trailers don't always accurately portray the characters, situations, etc., of the finished films, so I guess I'll just have to see it and judge for myself.)
Old 11 October 2018, 08:42 PM

Caught up on a couple movies I missed seeing in theaters earlier this year - Ready Player One and Solo. I'm happy to say I enjoyed them both.

I know Ready Player One took some flak for not being as true to the novel as people were hoping, but I thought it still did a pretty good job capturing the spirit of the novel. The core challenges were certainly different from the novel, but I did like how it shifted the focus of the contest from being largely about "How much do you know about the pop culture Halliday grew up with?" and more about knowing what kind of person Halliday was and actually being tests of character. (Which makes me wish they would have kept the final gate as needing 3 players cooperating to open.) I would have liked the challenges to be a little more involved - in the book, getting the key was only half of each challenge. And while they did at least give a nod to it with the second challenge, a full on interactive movie would have been pretty cool to see. I also wish they would have included at least a short scene like Wade attending school in the OASIS - something to really drive home that it was more than just a massively popular video game - and that Ogden Morrow would have played a more active role. (Though having him monitor the game by playing the concierge/chief librarian at the Halliday archives is a heck of a lot more compelling than the largely deus ex machina role he played in the book's climax.

With Solo, I actually also read the novelization first, so there were a couple of scenes present there that I would have liked to see on screen. Mainly they dealt with Han's time at the Imperial Academy; there were scenes dealing with L3's consciousness integrating with the Falcon's computer that were particularly touching, though admittedly they probably wouldn't have translated well between mediums. At first, I was having a difficult time connecting the character I was seeing on screen to the Han Solo I knew from the main movie series, but I saw more of him as the movie went on - and this being a coming of age story, it's actually fairly clever. I'm not usually one to comment on a movie's music, but there were several moments that caught my attention. The theme when we see Han and Chewie finally at the controls together was one such moment, but perhaps the most impressive for me was an incredibly subtle one. When Han notices an Imperial recruiting ad, a snippet of the Imperial March plays... but at least to my ears (and I actually went back and listened to it several times) it sounds as though it was shifted to a major key. In other words, it's an upbeat version completely befitting Imperial propaganda. Subtle, but brilliant.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:19 PM

The sountrack to Solo is fantastic, well worth getting on CD it has so many callbacks to John Williams themes in it, including a revisit to the Falcon Asteroid chase from Empire.

If you enjoyed your spoilerish bit in the novellisation perhaps you enjoyed (or will enjoy) the final moments of a similar character in the novellisation of Rogue One. very touching.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:08 AM

Mouse

The only thing I remember about Solo is Donald Glover as Lando, who makes me want to renew my commitment to heterosexuality indefinitely.

I couldn't really get behind either the book Ready Player One or the movie, though if I had to choose, I'd prefer the movie. With the movie, you get the bonus of pretty visuals which, well, it doesn't make up for a story that's hollow to the core, but at least, it makes it more enjoyable. Because the longer I think about it, RPO feels like a nerd boy's masturbation fantasy.

In this story, obsessive fanboy knowledge/behavior gets you a vast fortune and makes you the admiration of millions, and you wind up with a hot girlfriend who comes with the bonus insecurity about a barely noticeable birthmark, which in no way detracts from her beauty, because hey, can you really have accomplished anything in life if you don't wind up with a hot girlfriend to go with it?

They do try to do a moral about how you shouldn't live your life through a screen and should go outside and live your life, but it's hard to swallow given that the hero gets all this stuff by being an obsessed fanboy who spends all his time on reading up on Halliday and buries himself in pop culture to the exclusion of everything else.

Also, the characters' horror over the idea that if the Bad Guy gets the OASIS, he'll do such horrible things such as :gasp: fill it with advertisements, makes anyone aware of any social media in the real world, laugh and laugh bitterly.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:25 AM

For a world supposedly beset by regular power failures, RPO had remarkably stable internet connectivity.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:56 AM

It was 1980s internet. The phone lines provide their own power.
Old 12 October 2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
If you enjoyed your spoilerish bit in the novellisation perhaps you enjoyed (or will enjoy) the final moments of a similar character in the novellisation of Rogue One. very touching.
Indeed. I thought the in-universe documents inserted between various chapters made for excellent additions to the story as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
The only thing I remember about Solo is Donald Glover as Lando, who makes me want to renew my commitment to heterosexuality indefinitely.
Glover definitely stole any scene he was in. Which is perfectly in character for Lando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I couldn't really get behind either the book Ready Player One or the movie, though if I had to choose, I'd prefer the movie. With the movie, you get the bonus of pretty visuals which, well, it doesn't make up for a story that's hollow to the core, but at least, it makes it more enjoyable. Because the longer I think about it, RPO feels like a nerd boy's masturbation fantasy.

In this story, obsessive fanboy knowledge/behavior gets you a vast fortune and makes you the admiration of millions, and you wind up with a hot girlfriend who comes with the bonus insecurity about a barely noticeable birthmark, which in no way detracts from her beauty, because hey, can you really have accomplished anything in life if you don't wind up with a hot girlfriend to go with it?

They do try to do a moral about how you shouldn't live your life through a screen and should go outside and live your life, but it's hard to swallow given that the hero gets all this stuff by being an obsessed fanboy who spends all his time on reading up on Halliday and buries himself in pop culture to the exclusion of everything else.

Also, the characters' horror over the idea that if the Bad Guy gets the OASIS, he'll do such horrible things such as :gasp: fill it with advertisements, makes anyone aware of any social media in the real world, laugh and laugh bitterly.
Fair points, all. I think the movie is a little bit better in that regard, giving a bit more of the heavy lifting - and the lion's share of the real life danger - to Art3mis/Samantha. Still nothing compared to Q'ira or Jyn in the strong female character department though.

All that said, may I add that between Rogue One and Ready Player One, Ben Mendelsohn plays one heck of a villain? I see he's now been cast as the lead antagonist in Captain Marvel...
Old 12 October 2018, 04:19 AM

Icon18

Unfortunately, Ben Mendelsohn's character in Rogue One lacked the cool, calculating charisma and adeptness at his job to be a proper villain. Which was disappointing, because from the trailers I thought he was going to be an evil genius on par with one of Hitler's less incompetent field marshals. But then those trailers were practically for another movie.
Old 12 October 2018, 05:39 AM

Not necessarily a bad thing, considering some of the more cringe-worthy lines that were in the trailers but not the film.
Old 12 October 2018, 04:31 PM

I thought he made for an interesting contrast with Tarkin. Both ambitious, both scheming and manipulative, but where Tarkin rarely loses his cool and knows he has the respect and/or fear of everyone in the room - including Darth Vader himself - Krennic is hotheaded, feels the need to show how important he is... and is ultimately proven to be just one more underling to Vader.
Old 12 October 2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Unfortunately, Ben Mendelsohn's character in Rogue One lacked the cool, calculating charisma and adeptness at his job to be a proper villain. Which was disappointing, because from the trailers I thought he was going to be an evil genius on par with one of Hitler's less incompetent field marshals. But then those trailers were practically for another movie.
I think that added so much to the character, a medium sized fish in a much larger pond. the prequel novel, ‘catalyst’ describes his claw up the imperial power ladder and his support and eventual betrayal of Galen Esro. It’s one of the few EU novels that really adds a hell of a lot to the backstory.

Krennic is a pretty well fleshed out character that gets totally crushed by Tarkin and Vader. I like it for that.

better than the wated characters in the first Act of “Solo” I was looking forward to seeing more great performances from (certain actor) but was denied by a needless sacrifice.

I hope there is better backstory for their characters in NOvel form that I have yet to discover!
Old 12 October 2018, 11:09 PM

I guess he works as a character if you have no expectation that the Imperial armed forces should behave like anything more than a kids' soccer team. And a bad one at that. I mean, I played soccer in elementary school and we didn’t just spend the whole game kicking at each others' shins when the ref wasn’t looking.

ETA: I think Valkyrie, for instance, did a much better job of depicting military officers in the service of an evil empire with varying degrees of political and military astuteness. Even General Fromm had some charisma and some wind behind him, for all his wicked ineptitude.

Last edited by ASL; 12 October 2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12 October 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I guess he works as a character if you have no expectation that the Imperial armed forces should behave like anything more than a kids' soccer team. And a bad one at that.
I have no idea what this means!
Old 13 October 2018, 01:17 AM

It means their characterizations are downright juvenile.
Old 13 October 2018, 01:56 AM

But the Empire has always been characterized as being full of incompetent backbiters and opportunists.
Old 13 October 2018, 02:32 AM

Jolly Roger

Backbiters and opportunists? Yes. Incompetent? Not nearly as much as they and the FO have been made out to be lately. And even if I were to grant, for the sake of argument, that they have been, it still wouldn’t cause me to believe that the latest crop of villains are well-developed or the least bit plausible given their setting.

Even Thanos, literally a comic book villain, is better developed and makes more sense as a character than the latest round of foempirites (my term, blended FO and Empire, because who are we kidding, they’re the same thing, just like the resistance and the rebels).

Last edited by ASL; 13 October 2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 13 October 2018, 03:43 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
But the Empire has always been characterized as being full of incompetent backbiters and opportunists.
Also judging by the Nazi trappings used to characterize the Empire, incompetence isn’t something entirely unexpected. That, along with the aristocratic British accents, I assumed that the Empire like so many other totalitarian regimes, they have some kind of classist or bigotry interwoven into their philosophy: only certain people have the right and ability needed to be in the echelon of society and if they are, they should be granted deference. So often you wind up with people being promoted less on the basis of talent and more on money and relations.

See for example, pretty much every member of the Trump regime, though Brett Kavanaugh is also a good example. Kavanaugh never had to have any discernible talent, because he was born into wealth and status, leading him getting into Ivy League schools, staying out of jail regardless of how reckless and horrible his actions are, and making it to the Supreme NFBSKing Court despite mountains of evidence providing that he is utterly incompetent at being a judge, even though that’s his job.

Of course, that philosophy ends up fostering all kinds of incompetence. Surrounding yourselves with Yes Men and driving away or killing those with talent, because they are untermenschen or whatever terminology you use, ultimately comes back to bite you in the ass.

Though I liked the interactions between Krennic and Tarkin. In nearly every scene, Krennic is trying to assert power and strength, being all “I am powerful and you should fear me, dammit!” But Tarkin just steamrolls right over his posturing without breaking a sweat. It’s the difference between being actually strong and being the Trump-variety of strength. Tarkin feels no need to assert that he is powerful and feared; he knows he is and if they don’t fear him, they soon will. Tarkin was probably the one person (besides the Emperor) who could keep Vader in check, which is why he had to die in A New Hope to keep the overarching plot on track. Oh Tarkin, if only you hadn’t greatly underestimated the rebels’ chances.