snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 11 December 2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
So Reagan and Thatcher didn't like him , meh doesn't change my opinion of him.
Guardian article

Quote:
When Botha stepped down after a stroke in 1989, he was replaced by FW de Klerk, who met Thatcher at Downing Street in June. I was among a group of journalists waiting outside No 10 with the promise that he would give a press conference straight after. We watched him leave then ran up Whitehall to the South African embassy where he had promised to speak. He did not turn up. We were told later that he had been too shocked by Thatcher's vehemence.

Mandela was released on 11 February 1990 (I was at the gates of the jail but to my eternal chagrin I failed to spot him). That evening he made a speech from the balcony of the town hall in Cape Town which was televised, live, world wide. The speech was written by the hard-liners and communists in the ANC and was full of Marxist jargon. "Our resort to the armed struggle in 1960… was a purely defensive action against the violence of apartheid. The factors which necessitated the armed struggle still exist today. We have no option but to continue." Thatcher was appalled. She picked up the telephone to Robin Renwick, the British ambassador in South Africa, and demanded to know why she had ever bothered to battle for Mandela's release if this was the result.

But Mandela felt that at this stage he had to submit himself to party discipline. That was the reason that among the first people he visited after his release was Muammar Gaddafi. And when he came to London, the ANC central committee insisted – against his wishes – that he did not meet Thatcher. After he did finally meet her later that year he thanked her for helping to end apartheid and announced this at a press conference soon after. Senior ANC officials spluttered with rage.
Article by Joonji Mdyogolo

Quote:
Margaret Thatcher once regarded Nelson Mandela as a common terrorist, but she gets no unkind word from the former president. Instead, Mandela calls her “warm and motherly” and cleverly recounts an exchange he had with a prominent English politician to make a point about why she was called the Iron Lady: “When I saw Margaret Thatcher for the first time, we were supposed to have a meeting for one hour. Our meeting lasted for three hours and I had to offer an excuse. I then went to Neil Kinnock in parliament, and he was very excited. He says, ‘How is the Iron Lady?” I said, ‘She was warm and motherly.’ He says, ‘Warm and motherly? You must have met another lady.’”
Blogpost on Maggie sending Nelson Mandela herbal remedies

Quote:
Perhaps the most surprising was his description of Margaret Thatcher as "Motherly" and he remembered how she had poured him tea and they had discussed various ailments and how after he returned home, she had sent him herbal remedies.
It seems that Mr Mandela and Mrs Thatcher got on well enough. A while after Mandela was released from prison, and not long after Mrs Thatcher left office, I found myself in a room in Singapore with Thabo Mbeki (and a number of other people, all of whom were much more important than me), who talked about how the ANC had decided to embrace free-market economics.
Old 11 December 2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Some of the articles are are stating that fake sign language interpretation is a common scam in South Africa. This man had "interpreted" at at least one earlier ANC event.
One would expect that such a ruse would have been caught out often enough to put a stop to it - unless the need is actually so slight that it makes no sense to actually include sign-language interpreters.
Old 11 December 2013, 05:36 PM

This is the best article I have yet seen on the issue:

MANDELA CEREMONY INTERPRETER CALLED A 'FAKE

Quote:
The man also did sign interpretation at an event last year that was attended by South African President Jacob Zuma, Druchen said. At that appearance, a deaf person in the audience videotaped the event and gave it to the federation for the deaf, which analyzed the video, prepared a report about it and a submitted a formal complaint to the ANC, Druchen said.
Quote:
Bogus sign language interpreters are a problem in South Africa, because people who know a few signs try to pass themselves off as interpreters, said Parkin, the principal of the school for the deaf. And those hiring them usually don't sign, so they have no idea that the people they are hiring cannot do the job, she said.

"They advertise themselves as interpreters because they know 10 signs and they can make some quick money," said Parkin. "It is plain and simple abuse of the deaf community, they are taking advantage of the deaf community to make money."
Old 11 December 2013, 05:42 PM

And we now have a twitter account for the fake signer.
A faike Twitter account called @memorial signer.

sample tweets: Higgs Boson! Big shrew.

I would think this might be embarrassing for the sitting president Jacob Zuma, except that the same guy already fake signed for the ANC. Perhaps signaling the beginning of the end of ANC single party rule, or at least of its limits.

Ali
Old 11 December 2013, 07:03 PM

Are you saying it is a sign?
Old 11 December 2013, 09:25 PM

You know, a parody of the fake signing has the makings to be the best SNL skit in years. Start with plausible but fake signing, and then get more and more bizarre. It could be the opening, since you would already have the 'serious speaker' on-stage giving a speech.
Old 12 December 2013, 12:25 PM

The BBC has interviewed Thamsanqa Dyantyi the fake interpreter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25345627

Apparently he saw angels come into the stadium.
Old 12 December 2013, 07:38 PM

Tsk, Tsk

And yet, continued.
Old 12 December 2013, 07:58 PM

I know that I am not alone in hoping that Mandela's burial in his hometown on Saturday will return the focus to him and his accomplishments. This story about the fake signer seems to be getting a lot of air--at least based on hearing the BBC World News update in the morning.

Ali
Old 12 December 2013, 08:01 PM

Baseball

I did snerk when I saw this:

Old 12 December 2013, 10:09 PM

A colleague at my job also works with the deaf professionally. Her contacts are all up in arms about the issue with the sign-language interpreter, as you might imagine. What flabbergasted her is that a large number of them in her Facebook discussions are blaming Obama.

I wish I was more surprised, since we know how many people are ready to blame everything on Obama. (Hell, I'm surprised they're not specifically blaming Obamacare. Obama probably arranged Mandella's death as a distraction....)
Old 13 December 2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
And yet, continued.
In fairness, we don't know how often this guy "sees" angels. Maybe it happens all the time.
Old 13 December 2013, 08:19 PM

A little more fun with this: http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...2WQN_460sa.gif
Old 17 December 2013, 12:16 PM

According to an interpreter referral agency for whom I found a website last week, there are seven certified sign language interpreters in all of South Africa. Seven. In the whole damn country. By contrast, the US has several thousand.