snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 25 March 2013, 09:38 PM

Cell Phone More people have access to cellphones than toilets

A new United Nations study has found that more people around the world have access to a cellphone than to a working toilet.

The study’s numbers claim that of the world’s estimated 7 billion people, 6 billion have access to mobile phones. However, only 4.5 billion have access to a toilet.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...010850961.html
Old 25 March 2013, 10:13 PM

A few years ago when I was working in India I always had the BBC news on in my hotel room when I was getting ready in the morning. One morning I heard a very similar statistic from them, although this one was coincidentally specific to India, ie. that more Indians have access to mobile phones than toilets.
Old 25 March 2013, 11:14 PM

I can easily believe that. The nomads I stayed with in Mongolia had mobile phones. The toilet there was a hole in the ground behind some canvas wind breakers, and that was the posh toilet for the tourists... the nomads just went out on the steppe somewhere.
Old 25 March 2013, 11:42 PM

Phones are small and portable, whereas toilets require a whole expensive infrastructure to be built up all around then and continuously maintained. With India being so densely populated though, it does seem like they could make a lot of progress if they make it a priority.
Old 26 March 2013, 12:38 AM

It's not uncommon for cell hone dwellers to have cellphones. They aren't able to get phones

ETA Errata, that's an interesting analogy. Although I would argue that cell phones also require a whole expensive infrastructure to be built up all around and continuously maintained. IMO, with India in particular, cell phone coverage is more expansive than sanitation simply because cell phone towers are built and maintained by private companies, whereas basic plumbing s built and maintained by the horribly inefficient govt.
Old 26 March 2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Phones are small and portable, whereas toilets require a whole expensive infrastructure to be built up all around then and continuously maintained. With India being so densely populated though, it does seem like they could make a lot of progress if they make it a priority.
I think the gates foundation was working on this something about a toilet for rural areas that didnt require sewage systems.