snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 17 January 2012, 02:35 PM

Could #7 be that they were all presidents of a university before they became POTUS? I know at least two of them were.
Old 17 January 2012, 02:37 PM

UEL, #7 can't be that as Obama is a lefty as well.
Old 17 January 2012, 03:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What was traditionally located on an Old West town's "Boot Hill"?

Cemetery
Quote:
2. A new study in Nature Geoscience magazine blames toxic algae in Monterey Bay for the real-life event that inspired what classic 1963 thriller?
The Birds
Quote:
3. The site of what venerable stadium is now the Citi Field parking lot?
Shea
Quote:
4. What country's southernmost city is Sanya, on Hainan Island?
Indonesia
Quote:
5. What famed French anthropologist and "father of structuralism" once wrote, "Not a year goes by without my receiving an order for jeans"?
Levi Strauss
Quote:
6. The Welsh tourist village of Portmeirion hosts an annual "Six of One" convention for fans of what cult TV show?
The Prisoner
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents and no others? Jefferson, Madison, Garfield, Wilson, and Eisenhower?
Well, it can't be that they have states named for them, or state capitals (though two of them do). It might be that they have international programs named for them, but I can't think of one for Garfield, just as I can't think of the single word that should replace "international program."

Seaboe (3/7)
Old 17 January 2012, 05:54 PM

1. What was traditionally located on an Old West town's "Boot Hill"?

Cemetery

2. A new study in Nature Geoscience magazine blames toxic algae in Monterey Bay for the real-life event that inspired what classic 1963 thriller?

Red Tide

3. The site of what venerable stadium is now the Citi Field parking lot?

Three Rivers Stadium?

4. What country's southernmost city is Sanya, on Hainan Island?

Don't know

5. What famed French anthropologist and "father of structuralism" once wrote, "Not a year goes by without my receiving an order for jeans"?

Something Strauss.

6. The Welsh tourist village of Portmeirion hosts an annual "Six of One" convention for fans of what cult TV show?

Don't know
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents and no others? Jefferson, Madison, Garfield, Wilson, and Eisenhower?

No idea. WAG - their presidential libraries are not in their home town?
Old 17 January 2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
And I think Bill Clinton is too.
Old 17 January 2012, 07:44 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
And I think Bill Clinton is too.
Well, I learned something today. Thank you!
Old 24 January 2012, 08:00 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What was traditionally located on an Old West town's "Boot Hill"? Gunfighters were buried on Boot Hill if they took, uh, early retirement. It was a cemetery.

2. A new study in Nature Geoscience magazine blames toxic algae in Monterey Bay for the real-life event that inspired what classic 1963 thriller? The seabird attacks that inspired Hitchcock's The Birds are now believed to have been caused by leaky septic tanks. Not so scary, then. OR IS IT?!?

3. The site of what venerable stadium is now the Citi Field parking lot? The winter of 2008-09 saw the demolition of the Mets' Shea Stadium, storied site of so many heroic--aw, who am I kidding, I'm not a Mets fan.

4. What country's southernmost city is Sanya, on Hainan Island? Hainan is the largest island in China, unless we're wink-winking about Taiwan.

5. What famed French anthropologist and "father of structuralism" once wrote, "Not a year goes by without my receiving an order for jeans"? Claude Levi-Strauss had a good sense of humor about his name, unlike his fellow structuralist Friedrich Wrangler.

6. The Welsh tourist village of Portmeirion hosts an annual "Six of One" convention for fans of what cult TV show? Portmeirion is where the puzzling Patrick McGoohan series The Prisoner filmed its exteriors. ("Six of One" is a reference to the title character's only appellation, Number 6.)

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents and no others? Jefferson, Madison, Garfield, Wilson, and Eisenhower? They were all university presidents. (Eisenhower, you may or may not have been aware, headed up Columbia between World War II and his political career.) Also, I believe they all faced lots of trouble from the crazy pranksters in Delta House!
Old 24 January 2012, 08:02 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Happy Chinese New Year! According to ancient Chinese lore, 2012 is the Year of the Dragon Tattoo! Those born during this year have been statistically shown to be gifted computer hackers, but watch out for sadistic Swedish government caseworkers and Nazi serial killers.

Just one more week to go in our ten-week challenge! One lucky winner (give or take a few in case of ties) will get a signed copy of Ken Jennings's MAPHEAD. Second prize: two signed copies of MAPHEAD! No, not really, but I love that joke. Current standings, as always, are available at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6716 . Good luck!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Who was the only U.S. president born during World War I?

2. What's the only non-contagious disease that children can be vaccinated against?

3. Why has no one ever seen a full episode of the TV shows MILF Island, Gold Case, The Queen of Jordan, or America's Kids Got Singing?

4. In the first paragraph of a 1919 Booth Tarkington novel, what family is compared to the Medicis' Lorenzo the Magnificent?

5. The Drake Passage lies between what two continents?

6. Which 2011 Oscar-hopeful film is based on a West End and Broadway theatrical hit performed using oversized puppets?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these brands? Apple, Boost Mobile, Bounty, H&R Block, Honda Civic, Raid, Sara Lee, Winston.
Old 24 January 2012, 08:06 AM

Default My Guesses

Quote:
Kennedy???

Quote:
2. What's the only non-contagious disease that children can be vaccinated against?
Tetanus???

Quote:
3. Why has no one ever seen a full episode of the TV shows MILF Island, Gold Case, The Queen of Jordan, or America's Kids Got Singing?
They are shows on NBC on "30 Rock"

Quote:
4. In the first paragraph of a 1919 Booth Tarkington novel, what family is compared to the Medicis' Lorenzo the Magnificent?
The Ambersomes aka "The Magnificents"

Quote:
South America and Antarctica

Quote:
6. Which 2011 Oscar-hopeful film is based on a West End and Broadway theatrical hit performed using oversized puppets?
Don't know

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these brands? Apple, Boost Mobile, Bounty, H&R Block, Honda Civic, Raid, Sara Lee, Winston.
Hmmm, Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

MacLloyd
Old 24 January 2012, 08:24 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Their ads use redundancy?
Old 24 January 2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Kennedy???
Wasn't he born in 1914?
Old 24 January 2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Wasn't he born in 1914?
Precisely. Wasn't 1914 WWI?
Old 24 January 2012, 12:27 PM

Nixon

Pneumonia?

Because they're fake shows on 30 Rock. (I can't believe Ken didn't include Are You Stronger Than a Dog? or America's Next Top Pirate)

The Magnificent Ambersons

South America and Antarctica

Don't know
Old 24 January 2012, 12:31 PM

Whalephant

Wait! #6 has to be War Horse.
Old 24 January 2012, 02:28 PM

1. Who was the only U.S. president born during World War I?Nixon?
2. What's the only non-contagious disease that children can be vaccinated against?Tetinus?
3. Why has no one ever seen a full episode of the TV shows MILF Island, Gold Case, The Queen of Jordan, or America's Kids Got Singing?They were joke shows from a sketch comedy show?
4. In the first paragraph of a 1919 Booth Tarkington novel, what family is compared to the Medicis' Lorenzo the Magnificent?Rockafellers?
5. The Drake Passage lies between what two continents?Asia and Australia?
6. Which 2011 Oscar-hopeful film is based on a West End and Broadway theatrical hit performed using oversized puppets?Warhorse
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these brands? Apple, Boost Mobile, Bounty, H&R Block, Honda Civic, Raid, Sara Lee, Winston.The only think I can think of is something regarding their spokesperson as I recall Bounty recently changing the lumberjack guy. IMS, Sara Lee has had multiple versions of "Sara Lee".
Old 24 January 2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Vargas View Post
Precisely. Wasn't 1914 WWI?
Only from August.
Old 24 January 2012, 03:13 PM

6 is War Horse.
Old 24 January 2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Only from August.
Which means it depends on which date he was born.
Old 24 January 2012, 03:44 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Carter
Quote:
cancer.
Quote:
censorship.
Quote:
The Magnificent Ambersons.
Quote:
Europe and Asia
Quote:
Avenue Q
Quote:
They use primary colors in their logos.

I think I have one answer right.

Seaboe
Old 24 January 2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Which means it depends on which date he was born.
No, he was born a bit after 1914. I think 1917 or 18.