snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 20 December 2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
OK, there's no substitute for experience. I tried licking a plastic bag. It tasted nothing, with a faint taste of dust.
No, you can't just lick it. You have to lie on the floor and grab the open end with your front paws and wrap your feet around the bottom end. Stretch back as far as you can and gnaw on the bag. Make lots of racket doing so and don't forget to shake your head vigorously every minute or so. Then drag the plastic bag to your special hiding place under the bed.

(someone, somewhere get pictures of this, please)
Old 20 December 2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
They just want you to think they are insane. It's all part of the kitty plan for world domination.
I knew it!
Old 20 December 2007, 07:04 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No, you can't just lick it. You have to lie on the floor and grab the open end with your front paws and wrap your feet around the bottom end. Stretch back as far as you can and gnaw on the bag. Make lots of racket doing so and don't forget to shake your head vigorously every minute or so. Then drag the plastic bag to your special hiding place under the bed.

And make sure you do this in the middle of the night while the humans are asleep, making them wake up, swear, get out of bed and drag the plastic away from you that you got from goddess-knows-where.
Old 20 December 2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I think I'll leave that experiment for SatansHobbit. I don't want to hog all the fun.
Old 21 December 2007, 07:47 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen View Post
TP and tissues must have fish oil too, cause Pica kitty just loooves to chew and eat them, too. He loves the bag's handles especially.
One of my cats has an obsession with plastic bags. He doesn't lick them, but if I've collected a bunch of loose ones into another one, he'll inevitably pull most of them out and burrow into the rest. That, and he will often find a bag's handle and carefully, deliberately get his head through it, then walk around with the bag draped over one side. Especially funny the time something spooked him and got him running, which got the bag to rustling, which spooked him even more. Can you say feedback loop? It's very much an attention thing, since I've never seen evidence of him getting into the bags while I'm away, and he either does it while I'm watching or comes to me immediately after to complain about the indignity the wicked bag has visited upon him.
Old 22 December 2007, 05:57 PM

There must be fish oil in the newspaper, or any paper for that matter, because my Kitty tears through it all to get to the fish . I once had to take her to the vet because of an infected papercut on her tongue. She likes plastic bags as well, but we discourage it because of the choking hazard, so she sticks to paper.
Old 22 December 2007, 06:31 PM

My kitties never had a thing for plastic. One of my cats has does have latex fetish though. One day we come home to find small peaces of latex gloves all over the kitchen floor. We left the pantry door ajar and kitty climbed in and up the the top shelf to find the box of latex gloves and then pulled them to the floor and made confetti out of at least a dozen pair. Then there was the time in the bedroom kitty found the latex bedroom toys.
Old 22 December 2007, 07:07 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts Myth View Post
That, and he will often find a bag's handle and carefully, deliberately get his head through it, then walk around with the bag draped over one side. Especially funny the time something spooked him and got him running, which got the bag to rustling, which spooked him even more.
One of our cats loves to play in plastic bags, but she's also a little afraid of them. Probably because we have a tendancy to shake them at her to get her attention when she's doing something she shouldn't be.

Every so often, she'll manage to get the handle of a grocery bag looped around her neck, and will take off like a bat out of hell trying to get away from the evil monster. It flaps along behind her head like a cape, so I think of her as Supercat. It is all I can do to stop laughing long enough to catch her and take it off. Usually she manages to just tear through it with all of her running.
Old 23 December 2007, 12:30 AM

Darn, I ws really hoping there would have been an answer for this .

I'm less convinced about - any of it - LilMiss opened a gift from a friend, a diary which came sealed in plastic. She laid the diary and plastic casing on the floor next to her. The cat came in the cat flap, walked over, lay down next to her and started licking the plastic!

Ironic?

I gave the cat a good natured shove [since the guests were still here, and not cat-lovers] and she gave it up, and didn't come back to it, even though LilMiss left the plastic on the floor for QUITE some time... so, not an obsessive need/desire, but still - huh?wha?
Old 23 December 2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Then there was the time in the bedroom kitty found the latex bedroom toys.
I think there's a web comic or two in that...
Old 23 December 2007, 08:49 AM
lazerus the duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
I think there's a web comic or two in that...
There is quite a good running joke in Terry Pratchetts Making Money about a dog using one as a chew toy.
Old 23 December 2007, 09:09 AM

Whalephant

I always just assumed it was my cat's way of annoying me and making me pay attention to him; Brose knew that if he licked plastic bags I'd get up from whatever I was doing to yell at him, take it away and scold him. Of course, he was also the cat who turned his nose up at steak juice, was perplexed by a dead mouse "what is this?", and had a sweet tooth.
Old 24 December 2007, 12:59 AM
Cess

My cat is terrified of plastic grocery bags. It all goes back to the day when he was a kitten and somehow got one tangled up around his butt. He must have thought something was chasing him, because he tore the apartment up. Finally he ran under the bed where the bag got snagged on something and pulled off. He came out from under the bed with the biggest bottle-brush tail you've ever seen.

My parents have a dog who licks my Dad's leather chair almost constantly. She never licks the couch, which is also made of leather. Just the chair. It almost seems compulsive. She's a funny dog anyway.
Old 23 February 2008, 08:04 PM
bjohn13

My 20 lb. tabby, Buddy, doesn't like the plastic bags so much. The first time I brought him home kitty treats from PetCo, he got his head in one of the plastic bags from which I had just removed the kitty treats, and he couldn't get out. He must have walked around the apartment backwards for 20 minutes before I finally gained my composure enough to help him out.

Bubble wrap, on the other hand, is something that he just freaks out about. He knows where I keep it, and I tend to have a giant roll of the stuff with the big bubbles on hand just in case I have to ship something on the spur of the moment. If I'm around, and it's out, he'll just lick, lick, lick, lick until I finally get annoyed enough to put the thing away. Then there was the one night he got a hold of it while I was sleeping. Rustle....rustle, rustle. RUSTLE...rustle. Rustle. RUSTLE, RUSTLE POP! I got out of bed, went to the living room, and found Buddy staring off into the other direction. "What noise? I didn't hear anything."
Old 25 February 2008, 04:15 PM
rose217

Icon220

I'll tell you why your cat licks plastic bags if you can explain why my Great Dane swallows socks. Whole.

And it isn't as if they are dirty socks. He doesn't care. Dirty, clean, cotton, wool. Doesn't matter. Mine, hubby's, my daughter's. Equal opportunity sock swallower. He doesn't chew them. Just swallows them.

They do come out.

I'm fairly sure he licks plastic bags as well. He's usually looking for sausage or soemthing, though...
Old 25 February 2008, 08:49 PM

My cat was always interested in any of the bicycle oil I got on my clothes.

Maybe thought its something more based on taste, and less on smell, perhaps as far as the cats can tell, oil is oil, petroleum doesn't taste that different from the vegetable and animal oils.
Old 25 February 2008, 10:26 PM

My cat doesn't lick plastic bags, but she does try to kill and eat them. I figure it's because of the rustling sounds and the movement more than anything. She wants to kill most anything that moves and makes noise, including me and my husband.
Old 25 February 2008, 11:14 PM

It isn't just cats. I had a guinea pig who loved to chew on (and eat) plastic.
Old 26 February 2008, 03:59 PM
inkiemouse

Icon401

Our female cat, Yuki, doesn't care much for plastic bags, but our male cat, Kyo, will eat them. Naturally, we don't let him, and we try to remember to put the bags away, but sometimes he gets ahold of one...

Lately his thing has been chewing the handles so that they are no longer handles, but two strips of plastic that were once connected, rendering the bag useless.
Old 26 February 2008, 08:37 PM

Icon204

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose217 View Post
I'll tell you why your cat licks plastic bags if you can explain why my Great Dane swallows socks.
I'm just glad neither of my cats do that. Otherwise I'd end up with a sock in the puss.