snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 27 December 2018, 12:37 AM

SNOW!!!! Well, we had to drive about 12 miles across town to the entrance of the Organ Mountain National Monument (which is closed due to the orange idiot) to verify it was snow. The snow was another few miles east and a couple of thousand of feet higher.
Old 27 December 2018, 06:27 PM

Chef

Well, I did not see the event, but the aftermath. I was at work when it happened.

My wife came downstairs and discovered the oven was on. She was sure she shut it off. She noticed the display was blank and she could not get the oven to shut off, despite everything she tried. The temperature kept increasing and she starting seeing sparks inside the oven compartment as I told her to go downstairs and shut off the breaker (electric range).

It appears the oven went into a nuclear melt down. The temperature was approaching the self-cleaning cycle and the door was not locked. I could still feel the heat coming from the oven when I arrived home 30 minutes later and it was still at about normal cooking temperature over an hour after the power was cut.

Needless to say, we are having a new range delivered and installed next Monday.

It could have been worse. My wife was getting ready to go on a grocery shopping trip when she noticed the oven on by itself.
Old 27 December 2018, 06:40 PM

Yeah, that's scary. Good thing she noticed it when she did.
Old 28 December 2018, 02:48 PM

I'm glad our oven problems were so much less. A turkey taking too long to cook is nothing compared to the oven going into meltdown.
Old 28 December 2018, 04:26 PM

That is both really weird and a major hazard. Shouldn't you report it somewhere?

I've had a burner that took to suddenly turning itself on high when I'd set it on a lower heat; but at least it went off when I turned it to off. Apparently the control could go bad in that fashion. The most annoying thing about it was that I had to get an entire new stove to fix it, because they no longer made that part for that stove (and yes, I tried ebay etc.)
Old 29 December 2018, 02:55 AM

As I was driving through town today, I was stopped at a red light when I saw the driver's side door of the car behind me open up and (censored for those who might not want to read it): the driver leaned out and vomited all over the road.

So, um, yeah, that happened.
Old 29 December 2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I've had a burner that took to suddenly turning itself on high when I'd set it on a lower heat; but at least it went off when I turned it to off.
My parents' hob is actually designed to do that. It's a really odd design flaw... it has a "quick boil" feature, so that it can bring a pan up to heat quickly and then leave it at the right temperature to simmer. It does it by turning up to the maximum until the pan boils then turning down automatically.

My hob also has this feature, but you have to enable it deliberately - on mine, you do it by setting the temperature downwards from nine rather than upwards from zero, so you can't do it accidentally and if you just turn the hob up to a low setting, it does what you expect it to do and turns on low. But on my parents' hob, if you turn it on and turn to a particular temperature as you normally would, it enables the quick boil. To turn it on as you'd expect it to behave, you have to turn the knob all the way to the end and then back to the right setting.

It's really annoying and counter-intuitive. It caught my brother out the other day and meant we had to redo part of the Christmas stuffing recipe - there was an onion and cloves simmering gently in a small pan of milk (which my mum had put there, knowing the quirks of the hob). My brother checked it to make sure it wasn't going to boil over. It was pretty much done, so he turned it off, then realised he needed to keep it warm, so turned it back on to a very low heat which would (on a sensible hob) have let it sit there at the right temperature until it was needed. But since he'd turned it right off then back on again, the hob interpreted that as an instruction to turn itself up to the maximum and boil as quickly as it could, even though it was set to 1 or 2 out of 9. A couple of minutes later we checked again and in a very short time, the pan had completely boiled over and started to char the onion as well.

It's really annoying, but it does seem that the hob is designed that way. I assume that newer ones of the same brand will have fixed it, because it's a bad enough design that I think it counts as a serious flaw!
Old 29 December 2018, 04:28 PM

Richard W, that does sound like a handy feature -- but while I think the way your parents' is set up is worse than the way yours is, I wouldn't design it either way. I'd have it as its own setting, marked as such (it would have to be abbreviated, of course). That would make it a lot less likely to have it be turned on by accident, either by somebody who wanted an extended boil or by somebody who wanted a lower temperature.

It would also make it at least a little less confusing to people who had never heard of the feature but were trying to use the stove -- as guests, or renters, or whatever. You'd at least be able to tell that there was some specific setting there.

(In any case, as I think you realized but just in case you didn't, that wasn't what was going on with my stove.)
Old 31 December 2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
That is both really weird and a major hazard. Shouldn't you report it somewhere?

I've had a burner that took to suddenly turning itself on high when I'd set it on a lower heat; but at least it went off when I turned it to off. Apparently the control could go bad in that fashion. The most annoying thing about it was that I had to get an entire new stove to fix it, because they no longer made that part for that stove (and yes, I tried ebay etc.)
I thought about reporting it, but the range is/was around 20 years old. I figured it was an outlier outcome. The old one was hauled away this morning, so it would not do any good at this point as they would not be able to tear it down to determine the cause.

My wife is happy to be able to cook again. She really feels limited with only having the microwave to use, especially with cooking fresh vegetables.
Old 07 January 2019, 10:28 PM

A Christmas tree in the middle of the highway It looked like it rolled/bounced off a vehicle going over the overpass.

To whom should I have reported this Christmas tree? NJDOT? Non-emergency police line?
Old 07 January 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
To whom should I have reported this Christmas tree? NJDOT?
I've called 911 to report objects on the road surface before, and they've never had a problem with it. Even if not hit, an accident could occur if a driver swerving to avoid it makes contact with another car.
Old 08 January 2019, 06:44 PM

Three-dimensional "eyelashes" on a Ferrari 458 -- like this image.
Old 08 January 2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
The old one was hauled away this morning, so it would not do any good at this point as they would not be able to tear it down to determine the cause.
I'd guess it was probably a short in the thermostat or wiring that essentially bypassed it so the element just stayed on continuously. A heating element that visibly glows is going to be at least 1,200F so it would quickly heat everything way beyond normal cooking temperatures.
Old 08 January 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
I thought about reporting it, but the range is/was around 20 years old. I figured it was an outlier outcome. The old one was hauled away this morning, so it would not do any good at this point as they would not be able to tear it down to determine the cause.
I was actually thinking more of warning other people who have that range than of diagnosing it; though it's true that a diagnosis might help to figure out whether other models are likely to eventually do it also. But there may be somewhere to register a warning even if the particular stove no longer exists.
Old 10 January 2019, 11:59 AM

Crash

How about odd things that happen to you?

Sometimes, and this has been going on for years, I get odd auditory hallucinations when I'm half asleep or half awake... depending on which part of the night it is. Usually its a bang or smash as if the cats have knocked something off a table... but when I go check, everything is fine. Other times, I've heard indeterminate yelling, just like a single shout or call. No discernible words or anything, just a voice. I've even heard our doorbell.

No, I don't think it's a ghost.

I just maybe have a little touch of Exploding Head Syndrome.

Last night it was of the "CRASH! Did the cats knock something off a table?" variety. Nope. Nothing's out of place and the cats were both asleep.
Old 10 January 2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
How about odd things that happen to you?

Sometimes, and this has been going on for years, I get odd auditory hallucinations when I'm half asleep or half awake... depending on which part of the night it is. Usually its a bang or smash as if the cats have knocked something off a table... but when I go check, everything is fine. Other times, I've heard indeterminate yelling, just like a single shout or call. No discernible words or anything, just a voice. I've even heard our doorbell.

No, I don't think it's a ghost.

I just maybe have a little touch of Exploding Head Syndrome.

Last night it was of the "CRASH! Did the cats knock something off a table?" variety. Nope. Nothing's out of place and the cats were both asleep.
I've also experienced hypnagogic/hypnopompic auditory hallucinations, although fairly rarely. One time I swear I heard my father call my name.
Old 10 January 2019, 01:20 PM

Fright

It's a weird sensation, isn't it? I can absolutely see where the experience could lead someone to believe in ghosts or monsters. Things that go bump in the night...

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties,
Good Lord deliver us!
Old 10 January 2019, 02:02 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I've also experienced hypnagogic/hypnopompic auditory hallucinations, although fairly rarely. One time I swear I heard my father call my name.
I've gotten out of bed to answer knocks that weren't knocked. I've also clearly heard my dad calling my name when he was, in fact, in his own apartment a few miles away.
Old 10 January 2019, 02:38 PM

I used to get them, haven't in a while. I usually heard someone speaking, but it was never a voice I recognized.
Old 10 January 2019, 03:19 PM

Glasses

My night time auditory hallucinations haven't yet been voices, but I hear a lot of odd noises. However, ever since I learned about these and how common they are, when a noise wakes me up, I don't go shooting out of bed until I get confirmation that the noise was really there. Ferdinand is a good barometer for that.

One thing I find odd is that the arrival of the newspaper in the morning frequently wakes me, but I don't actually hear it hit the porch. I've deduced it's the newspaper because it's the same time every day.

Seaboe