snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 27 February 2008, 03:44 AM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkiemouse View Post
Our female cat, Yuki, doesn't care much for plastic bags, but our male cat, Kyo, will eat them. Naturally, we don't let him, and we try to remember to put the bags away, but sometimes he gets ahold of one...

Lately his thing has been chewing the handles so that they are no longer handles, but two strips of plastic that were once connected, rendering the bag useless.
He's not a red lynx point Siamese-X with x-eyes, is he? That's my oldest's favorite part!
Old 28 July 2010, 03:34 PM
Emarschall

I noticed a few times that my cats' bag-licking behavior becomes more incessant if my attention to their water bowl had lapsed. I theorized that while it may have originated out of curiosity, it works like this:

The first lick leaves the bag slightly wet. The thin nature of the bag allows it to almost instantly cool in the ambient temperature and the secondary lick is cooler and registers as wet, so it triggers "this is water." So my theory is that they lick the bag because it makes them think they're getting little tastes of water.

Now if we could just figure out a way to test that...
Old 29 July 2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
Could be worse... my smallest cat Zeebee suffers from Overactive Tongue Disorder... OATD is a horrible affliction that forces her to spend hours living everything. Herself, other cats, the dog, the floor, the blankets on the beds, the walls, and the humans. Even open air!
My cat Harley loves to lick objects and groom the other cats and people in the house; especially peoples' faces and hair. She likes to lick plastic quite a bit, even if it is not something flexible like a bag that makes noise. She also likes to lick my small animal cages. When she was a kitten she made the mistake of licking the rat cage one too many times and the rat chomped down on her tongue!
I started sleeping with a pillow over my head for a while to avoid getting a haircut at night from her. She will also give me a complete facial grooming- some people spend hundreds for 'microdermabrasion' but I get 'catodermabrasion' for free! A few times after she gave me an especially long grooming time on my forehead, I ended up with a reddened tender spot later where she I guess licked skin right off.
Harley has even given Bianca the German Shepherd a 'facial' a few times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V-3MuqbaoQ
Old 09 August 2010, 11:09 PM
Malamuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
OK, there's no substitute for experience. I tried licking a plastic bag. It tasted nothing, with a faint taste of dust.
I have tasted cat food before (wet food) and it was surprisingly bland. Evidently it is the smell that attracts them more than the taste.

My father is easily "grossed out" so of course I told him about tasting the cat food to get a rise out of him. My response is that if you have eaten potted meat before, I'm sure you have consumed lower-grade and "grosser" animal parts than are used in cat food!
Old 10 August 2010, 03:58 AM

Our cat doesn't do this. She does, however, like to play with crumpled up paper balls (of course) and when she is in my parents' room (Dad plays it with her the most) she will inspect the garbages and pull out any crumpled up paper, so that she has a plethora of toys.
Old 20 August 2010, 12:12 AM
Pugrider

Default The Worst Cat Treat - Used Dental Floss

We have a Pug and three cats. Only one of the cats loves to chew on plastic bags, but his favorite treat is used dental floss. We now have our bathroom trash permanently suspended high in the air in a plastic bag to avoid temptation.

And trust me, dental floss coming out is not pretty for anyone involved.

Pugrider
Old 25 August 2010, 07:56 AM

You could just flush the dental floss. We have to flush used tissues because one of our cats will eat them. He doesn't care what's on or in them, either.

He's a solid black American shorthair (cat version of "mutt"), neutered, age six or so, whose father was also his brother, in case anyone's keeping track.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterbites View Post
American shorthair (cat version of "mutt
Nitpick: American shorthair is a pedigree breed of cat. The mutt version is a "domestic shorthair". American shorthair breeders might entertain thoughts of lynching you for suggesting their breed's name = mutt cat!
Old 25 August 2010, 03:48 PM
Pugrider

Of our three cats the lover of dental floss is a Maine Coon (a very big male), our second is a Norwegian Forest Cat (a close second in the size department) and the third is a "domestic shorthair" rescue female that is about a third the size of her brothers and rules them all.

And not to start an "urban legend" thread, but flushing dental floss seems like a bad idea from a plumbing perspective. I have seen what hair can do to a drain, but maybe this is different.

Pugrider
Old 26 August 2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Nitpick: American shorthair is a pedigree breed of cat.
Oops, my mistake! I meant to say "domestic shorthair." Mutt really suits him better, though.

RE: flushing dental floss...we only use pieces about a foot long, and then it's rolled into a tight ball before being flushed. I wouldn't recommend it if you have a septic system, but I've never heard any admonishments against it from our county sewer service providers...and believe me, they have a looong list of things we're not to put down our drains or toilets ~ like cigarette butts, tampons, "flushable" kitty litter, and more. They haven't mentioned dental floss. Yet.

Edit: OK, lots of sites online, from dentists, plumbers, waste management people, etc., all say "Dont' flush the floss." Or hair! Maybe I should take up macrame and recycle it...

Last edited by Critterbites; 26 August 2010 at 09:06 AM.