snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 03 January 2014, 12:54 AM

TV How Netflix Reverse Engineered Hollywood

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...lywood/282679/
Quote:
Through a combination of elbow grease and spam-level repetition, we discovered that Netflix possesses not several hundred genres, or even several thousand, but 76,897 unique ways to describe types of movies.
Brian
Old 03 January 2014, 01:13 AM

I let my sister use my Netflix account, so I suspect her viewing habits are throwing off their recommendations for me. Here are the "microgenres" Netflix created for me:

"Goofy British TV Comedies", probably because I watched The IT Crowd and Fawlty Towers recently.
"Witty Workplace TV Shows", probably because my sister has been using my account to watch Parks and Recreation.
"Supernatural TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy", probably due to me watching Star Trek: DS9, Dr. Who, Warehouse 13, and Eureka.
Old 03 January 2014, 02:11 AM

We've been using the new option to select "who's watching" accounts. That way I don't get, "Because you watched Lilo and Stitch" and my kids don't see "Dark Foreign Dramas based on real life."

It also gave me the opportunity to discover that DH is a fan of both "Cerebral Science and Technology Documentaries" and "Oscar Winning Emotional Dramas."
Old 03 January 2014, 06:44 PM

Ah, cool. I didn't know those existed because I rarely log into Netflix on my computer, mostly just my TV and smartphone. I set up a profile for her. Now it would be nice if I could go through my viewing history and tell Netflix "No, she watched this, not me."
Old 03 January 2014, 08:38 PM

No Netflix didn't "Reverse engineer" Hollywood. Reverse engineering means studying something that someone else created to try to figure out it's inner workings. The OP has reverse engineered Netflix. Netflix hasn't reverse engineered Hollywood. It has cataloged Netflix in a systemic manner