snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 09 May 2013, 10:56 PM

Icon215 Give Me An "F"! Creationists Fail a Fourth Grade Science Test

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...lly_wrong.html
Quote:
At Snopes.com, the parent of the child who took this quiz said the Blue Ridge Christian Academy was otherwise a good school, but they will keep a close eye on the science, and at the end of the year will pull their daughter out of enrollment.
Brian
Old 10 May 2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
If creationism were true, then essentially no modern invention would work.
Ummm.... what? How does creationism mean that modern inventions wouldn't work? Does creationism say that electricity is not real or that the principles of observable physics aren't what they are?
Old 10 May 2013, 12:40 AM

Well, it would require that most of the laws of physics not operate as we know them.
Old 10 May 2013, 05:51 AM

Why? If a supernatural being or intelligence was involved, then that being could have setup the laws after doing the creation part. Or could simply operate outside the laws.
Old 10 May 2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Quote:
If creationism were true, then essentially no modern invention would work.
Ummm.... what? How does creationism mean that modern inventions wouldn't work? Does creationism say that electricity is not real or that the principles of observable physics aren't what they are?
We would not be able to say whether they work because we would not be able to distinguish between those that do and those that are miracles or simply appear to be working but are actually just working in mysterious ways to make it look as if they evolved over millions of years are working.
Old 10 May 2013, 03:14 PM

I'm sure whether to be glad or worried that I was able to follow that explaination.
Old 15 May 2013, 05:02 AM

My partial solution to the whole thing: any energy companies who contribute money to political candidates who favor teaching creationism in the schools (whether it's called that or not) should only be allowed to employ young-earth creationists as petroleum geologists...

(I did read an account recently where a fairly dedicated creationist turned completely around after spending a few days in the field with the scientists who use the fossil record as their guide in searching for new oil deposits. Suddenly, it was all real.)
Old 15 May 2013, 10:56 AM

Who sets the curriculum in American schools? Is there a standard across the country or state?

This is no different to Bobby Boucher believing that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.
Old 15 May 2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Who sets the curriculum in American schools? Is there a standard across the country or state?
There are some national standards, but they are very broad. Below that you have a lot of variation at the state and even county level.
Old 15 May 2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Why? If a supernatural being or intelligence was involved, then that being could have setup the laws after doing the creation part. Or could simply operate outside the laws.
Yep, the creationist could explain that any inconsistencies with science depend on miracles. However, more often than not they try to give events in the Bible a scientific explanation that just contradicts everything we know. This ranges from variable light speed to juice-drinking carnivores on the Ark to silly explanations of the fossil layers.
Old 15 May 2013, 02:05 PM

I just can't make myself feel outraged by this. It's sad and depressing that ANY school would teach this but this was a private Christian school, so all it gets from me is a big "shrug". If it was a public school then it would be outrageous, but there are people who wend their kids to private Christian school specifically so this will be taught to them instead of evolution. I don't agree with this being taught as science but that's why I'll never send my kid to a private Christian school.
Old 15 May 2013, 03:31 PM

I think adults conspiring to deliberately make kids stupid is enough to get outraged over, but that's just me.
Old 15 May 2013, 03:48 PM

We're all going to have to live with the resulting stupid adults.
Old 15 May 2013, 06:54 PM

You know, youth often rebels against what they perceive as the old guard's expectations. Maybe the kids will respond with increased interest in hard sciences?

It would be nice to think this bullcrap has some sort of positive side, anyway.
Old 15 May 2013, 07:39 PM

Icon07

Quote:
It's sad and depressing that ANY school would teach this but this was a private Christian school, so all it gets from me is a big "shrug". If it was a public school then it would be outrageous, but there are people who wend their kids to private Christian school specifically so this will be taught to them instead of evolution.
If people send their children to particular private schools specifically so that their kids be taught that homosexuality is evil, that non-white races are subhuman, and that Jews are plotting to take over the world, does that also merit nothing more than a "big shrug"?
Old 15 May 2013, 07:54 PM

There is nothing about Creationist doctrine that would prevent a good grounding in fully accepted chemistry, physics, comparative biology, physiology, and mathematics (I have yet to hear a literalist really argue that because of the reference in, IIRC, Isaiah, that the actual value of pi is 3). In geology, they would have trouble discussing fossils and strata (even without fossil content), but especially at the pre-high school level, the science is more descriptive than explanatory, anyway, so you can just identify the rocks, and talk about 'over the many years'. As for astronomy even most hard-core literalists do not advocate heliocentric views based on statements like 'the sun stood in the sky' etc. Basically, at the level of almost any primary school course, you can teach respected science properly and still be consistent with the literalist beliefs (evolution really should be held out until a person has a broad enough basis of information to be able to hear the arguments without it being another 'just-so' story, i.e. drawing together lots of knowledge rather than just being statements to memorize). It seems that this 4th grade class though is based on indoctrination the children against evolution rather than teaching ANY actual science.
Old 15 May 2013, 09:08 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
If people send their children to particular private schools specifically so that their kids be taught that homosexuality is evil, that non-white races are subhuman, and that Jews are plotting to take over the world, does that also merit nothing more than a "big shrug"?
There is a big difference in "shrugicity" between "science is wrong" and "groups of people are wrong."
Old 16 May 2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
It seems that this 4th grade class though is based on indoctrination the children against evolution rather than teaching ANY actual science.
From what I've seen of creationist groups, that's generally their goal. Except that it's really not just the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection that they oppose: they're also opposed to teaching Anthropogenic Climate Change, the idea that conservation of natural resources is important, or anything that might hint that there's a finite amount of natural resources and we could actually run out of one or more of them. They also tend to teach very inaccurate versions of history, both of the US and world- basically that Christians have always been this oppressed minority that was picked on by everyone else (who are really minions of Satan) and has survived only because they're God's Chosen People, as well as teaching geocentric astronomy.
Old 16 May 2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettie Page Turner View Post
There is a big difference in "shrugicity" between "science is wrong" and "groups of people are wrong."
Not really. The former carries the implicit message that people who "believe in" science or practice science are wrong.
Old 16 May 2013, 03:01 PM

My mind boggles at the notion that it's harmless to our society for children to be taught that "science is wrong."