snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 19 June 2014, 07:31 PM

Police Police: Dog's throat cut; Officer charged with animal cruelty

A Baltimore City police officer was arrested and charged with aggravated animal cruelty and other charges after cutting the throat of a dog, police officials announced Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/police-do...uelty/26553714
Old 19 June 2014, 07:54 PM

This is so bizarre. I've heard of unnecessary shootings but this...
Old 19 June 2014, 11:58 PM

Must have been on his bucket list; "slit the throat of a living creature."
Old 20 June 2014, 01:46 AM

A second officer has been suspended. http://m.wbaltv.com/news/2nd-city-of...death/26573790.

It doesn't say why in that article, but the previous one mentioned that Police commanders were investigating why it wasn't reported to them right after it happened. Perhaps the suspended officer was the ranking one on scene?
Old 20 June 2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
This is so bizarre. I've heard of unnecessary shootings but this...
As a former police officer I get the desire to Monday quarterback decisions after the fact but I find this one so odd not to say something.

Most the time "unnecessary" actions, seem necessary at the time. When you have to make decisions in seconds, often in hindsight, they may seem unnecessary but the courts take the perception of the officer at the time to be the critical factor.

Which is why I'm baffled by this. They had the dog retrained on the ground with a loop. So if they felt they had to euthanize the dog for public safety than why knife it? I could see shooting it as a method but you already had it restrained for safety. Putting your hands by the mouth of a dangerous animal doesn't seem like a good move.

I don't agree with what they did, and I can't see the logic that got them to making that decision
Old 20 June 2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
I don't agree with what they did, and I can't see the logic that got them to making that decision
That's what had me posting this. I have seen a number of "police shoot dog they assumed was dangerous cases". I understand doing that, even though in some cases, the police should not have even been on the particular property or were clearly exaggerating the threat. As you said, the impression in the moment is critical.

But this one is about as close to the 'man bites dog' kind of story we are likely to see.
Old 20 June 2014, 04:07 PM

My own experiences with the police have been really mixed. Some officers are the sort who would never make up excuses to shoot a dog, and would truly only do so if their perceptions suggested it was necessary. Others, not so much. But in any case--there doesn't seem to have been an immediate need to kill the dog, and the method would seem to endanger the officer more than protect him from harm.
Old 22 June 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
That's what had me posting this. I have seen a number of "police shoot dog they assumed was dangerous cases".
If they had shot the dog then I might question their actions a little less.

The only time I can think of that using a knife to kill a dog is if the dog was attacking you and that's all you could grab to defend yourself.

I don't mind analyzing a situation but I am not a fan of Monday quarterbacking.

It's often after a shooting people will say, "Well the officer could have done, X,Y, Z". Which isn't really relevant to the investigation. What is relevant is what the officer DID do and if that was reasonable.

The only time I was allowed to kill an animal as a police officer was to protect the safety of myself or others from an imminent threat (Dog was retrained, so there wasn't an imminent threat) or if an animal was injured beyond reasonable medical care and was to euthanize it.

Unless there are a lot more details that were left out. I don't see where this was a reasonable action to deal with the situation. The dog should have been turned over to animal control to deal with the situation.