snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 14 June 2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I always feel like that's laughing at my own joke, but perhaps warranted in these cases.
It's a lot better than saying haha or LOL after your posts. Now those I find annoying - the emoticons though can just add to the joke. Although even with that some people use them to death. There was someone who used to post here who every time he quoted someone else had to , often to numerous responses in the same message - yeah, we got his point. Everything any of said was worthy. Man that got tedious!
Old 14 June 2017, 05:23 PM

Poe's Law

randomcharacters
Old 14 June 2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Sessions did invoke executive privilege, just in a weaselly way.

ETA: AIUI, he said that he won't discuss things that might possibly be covered by executive privilege at some later, unspecified time. Which would basically be any conversation with the President.

FETA: Also AIUI, Comey deferred questions to the later scheduled closed sessions, I don't believe he flat out refused to answer.
He didn't invoke executive privilege. It is not his to invoke. If the president hasn't invoked it, it is not a matter of executive privilege. So, he's made an assertion of some sort of duty of confidentiality, but it isn't executive privilege, and he needs to have some other legal basis to refuse to answer if the president hasn't invoked the privilege.

I think he isn't yet in contempt of Congress because he was not under a subpoena to testify, but that would possibly be a next step if the committee wanted to press the issue.
Old 14 June 2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Um... I know it was a parody. I was trying to be funny. I will refrain from such activity in the future.
Please don't. Things are just so topsy-turvy these days that it's sometimes hard to follow what is real and what's a joke and who thinks which is which. It's like the real thing is funnier than any SNL, or would be if it were not so consequential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
It's a lot better than saying haha or LOL
You complained about that in the LTTAY thread!
Old 14 June 2017, 06:47 PM

Correct, he didn't invoke it in that he didn't state that the conversation was covered under executive privilege (as he also pointed out, he can't). But he invoked it in pontentia as his basis for not answering so that the President could potentially later invoke it. Which is why I said he invoked it in a weaselly way.

KING: I understand that, but the president hasn't asserted that. You said you don't have the power to exert executive privilege so what is the legal basis for your refusal to answer the questions?

SESSIONS: I'm protecting the right of the president to assert it if he chooses and there may be other privileges that could apply in this circumstance.
Old 15 June 2017, 03:26 AM

Trump must be so glad right now that he didn't admit to obstruction of justice during a TV interview.
edit: lol

Last edited by Dreams of Thinking Machines; 15 June 2017 at 03:27 AM. Reason: lol
Old 15 June 2017, 12:25 PM

Shout

From another dimension comes a booming, familiar-to-people-over-50, voice that says: YOU HAVEN'T LEARNED ANYTHING HAVE YOU NFBSKERS!
Old 16 June 2017, 02:45 AM

Mouse

Are we doing Nixon comparisons again? I know it's hard to avoid them, but they still feel inaccurate. Nixon had a degree of competence to his villainy and could manage to go five minutes without completely changing his story/contradicting himself. Nixon also started from a working class background and worked his way to the presidency. Several times, people thought Nixon was finished when it came to his political career, but he managed to come back from them, ar least until Watergate, which was just too big a scandal to come back from.

Again, Nixon may be the closest thing we ever had to having a Bond villain as president, but he had a degree of competence/work ethic to go with his villainy. Trump's one of those lazy mothers who wants to see the world burn, but can't be arsed to light a match.
Old 16 June 2017, 12:27 PM

I don't think he wants to watch the world burn, I think he doesn't care whether it does or not, unless he can see an immediate negative impact to himself or his family.
Old 16 June 2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Awww, don't stop joking around just put a winking smiley in.
Quote:
I always feel like that's laughing at my own joke, but perhaps warranted in these cases.
They way it was explained to me, many years ago in the early days of chatrooms, well in the early days of chatrooms for the general public*, was that emoticons were there because words on a screen alone may not convey the fact you are only kidding or joking. In a face to face conversation this would be clear by your tone of voice or your facial expression or even an actual real world wink . Emoticons are there to ensure that people understand exactly how the comment is meant to be taken.

* I understand chatrooms have been around for decades for the true computer literate.
Old 16 June 2017, 03:06 PM

Icon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Are we doing Nixon comparisons again? .
Sorry. I'm just reminded of a lot of things I remember hearing at that time. I was a kid, so a lot of it didn't make sense then, but it does now.

On a slightly different note, right now the hardest job in the world is being the president's attorney.

Dawn--who'll stop the tweets?--Storm
Old 16 June 2017, 06:01 PM

Trump decides to ‘go on the attack’ over FBI probe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico
President Donald Trump has smarted all week over the stories about the special counsel probe zeroing in on him and his close associates, according to a White House official, spending hours in the White House obsessing over the coverage.

And Trump’s bombshell tweet on Friday morning — appearing to confirm that he’s now under investigation for obstruction of justice and attacking his deputy attorney general — is part of a broader decision by the president to “go on the attack,” the official said.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...igation-239637

A genius move by a guy with a very good brain.
Old 16 June 2017, 07:06 PM

Damn the approval ratings! Full speed ahead!

~Psihala
(*Oh, and don't forget that you're 100% for testifying under oath!)
Old 16 June 2017, 07:50 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I don't think he wants to watch the world burn, I think he doesn't care whether it does or not, unless he can see an immediate negative impact to himself or his family.
He didn't start the fire/It was always burning/since the world was turning....

ETA: The news-talk station I listen to always has the following line over the weekend: It's the weekend. We know that the president tweets...tune in on Monday for a full analysis...

If it was about any other president that would be way too much information!!

Last edited by DawnStorm; 16 June 2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added a be
Old 16 June 2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm not sure. He's got a very definite "in order to win, someone else has to lose" mindset. Burning the whole world, and thus causing everyone else to lose, might be the ultimate win in his view.
Old 16 June 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
He didn't start the fire/It was always burning/since the world was turning....
It would go with the Ink Spots:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Spots
I don't want to set the world on fire
I just want to start a flame in your heart
The lyrics don't really work, but as a fan of Fallout, it conjures the correct image for me.
Old 16 June 2017, 11:49 PM

Icon106

Thanks for the earworm, Dawn...I think.
Old 17 June 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams of Thinking Machines View Post
A genius move by a guy with a very good brain.
He may be the best example ever of Dunning-Kruger.
Old 17 June 2017, 12:08 AM

Judge

If Trump never got off that escalator, where would he be now?
[You are required by constitutional law to read this article if you want to be smart and not dumb, okay?]
Old 17 June 2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
The lyrics don't really work, but as a fan of Fallout, it conjures the correct image for me.
Despite Fallout, I still think of that line as the introduction to the Megadeth song Set The World Afire...