snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 24 January 2009, 08:53 PM
nm06379

Icon05 New CIA director's daughter is an anti-American radical?

I recently received an e-mail from a friend that said that the the nominee for Director of the CIA Leon Panetta's daughter, Linda Panetta is a rabid Anti- American activist. There was even a picture of her with Hugo Chavez and Daniel Ortega, both known commies from South and Central America. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 28 January 2009, 01:09 PM

Well, according to this bio, he doesn't have any daughters. This blog, which posted the same information you received, retracted their claim that the two were related.
Old 28 January 2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
Well, according to this bio, he doesn't have any daughters. This blog, which posted the same information you received, retracted their claim that the two were related.
Why the heck are the PUMAs trying to smear Panetta? He's a Clintonite.

I will never understand the PUMAs.
Old 28 January 2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm06379 View Post
I recently received an e-mail from a friend that said that the the nominee for Director of the CIA Leon Panetta's daughter, Linda Panetta is a rabid Anti- American activist. There was even a picture of her with Hugo Chavez and Daniel Ortega, both known commies from South and Central America. Anyone know anything about this?
You know, I think that is the first time I have seen "Commies" written down since the collapse of the Warsaw Pact. It is quite jarring for me to read, I don't know why though.
Old 28 January 2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm06379 View Post
I recently received an e-mail from a friend that said that the the nominee for Director of the CIA Leon Panetta's daughter, Linda Panetta is a rabid Anti- American activist.
Even if it were true, are we to hold you responsible for all the opinions of your family?

Quote:
There was even a picture of her with Hugo Chavez and Daniel Ortega, both known commies from South and Central America. Anyone know anything about this?
OMDOYC! Not Communism! Ahhh, we're all going to die!
Old 28 January 2009, 03:41 PM

Okay, I looked at that blog and I still don't know what the NSFBK a PUMA is.
Inquiring minds want to know, especially on a day when the mind is at work, but the workplace is all out (snow and ice day).

Ali "is it a mountain lion, or a panther?" Infree
Old 28 January 2009, 03:48 PM

I believe a PUMA is an ardent supporter of Hillary Clinton's Presidential Run, who decided in the wake of Obama's Primary Victory not to rally around the successful candidate, but to pretend that the Democratic Primary is still going and that Obama is the enemy. It's an acronym for "Party Unity My Ass." Or possibly "Party Unity? My Ass!" which I think sounds more dramatic.

I didn't realise they were still going, actually.
Old 28 January 2009, 04:08 PM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
You know, I think that is the first time I have seen "Commies" written down since the collapse of the Warsaw Pact. It is quite jarring for me to read, I don't know why though.
Because you are a "COMMIE"! Commie.
Old 28 January 2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara bhur gCara View Post
I believe a PUMA is an ardent supporter of Hillary Clinton's Presidential Run, who decided in the wake of Obama's Primary Victory not to rally around the successful candidate, but to pretend that the Democratic Primary is still going and that Obama is the enemy. It's an acronym for "Party Unity My Ass." Or possibly "Party Unity? My Ass!" which I think sounds more dramatic.

They are, indeed. But they have now decided that PUMA stands for People United Means Action. Or something. And their new raison d'etre is watching Obama like a hawk to make sure he doesn't insult women. Or do anything muslim-y. Or something.
Old 28 January 2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara bhur gCara View Post

Oh, Lord, yes they still have not gotten over Clinton's loss. There are some that even went so far as to support McCain, because the possesser of a vagina was on his ticket, never mind that said possesser was Sarah Palin.

I think the goal of many of them is similar to those who frequent the Joe the Forum website, and that is to do everything in their power* to bring any amount of discredit to Obama.

________
*The amount of their actual power is vastly overstated by them.
Old 28 January 2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
They are, indeed. But they have now decided that PUMA stands for People United Means Action. Or something. And their new raison d'etre is watching Obama like a hawk to make sure he doesn't insult women. Or do anything muslim-y. Or something.
So, Joe the Plumber's Asshat Auxiliary, then?

The blog made my head hurt, especially its claims of massive support. Hello? The election is over, and it was pretty much a landslide. Take a deep breath and get over it.

I know, wishful thinking. But all of us had to put up with 8 years of Bush mismanagement, a little break would be nice.

Ali "like a month even?" Infree
Old 28 January 2009, 06:15 PM

I thought a PUMA was an older Cougar if you know what I mean. But that's just me.
Old 28 January 2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
I thought a PUMA was an older Cougar if you know what I mean. But that's just me.
I thought older Cougars were leopards, though. You know. Because of the [age] spots.
Old 28 January 2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
For me it's the fact that they are described as "known commies". None of those stealth commies...
Old 29 January 2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
The blog made my head hurt, especially its claims of massive support. Hello? The election is over, and it was pretty much a landslide. Take a deep breath and get over it.
They didn't even get the support of Clinton, they're supposed reason for existence.
Old 11 February 2009, 07:46 PM

Icon101

Well, as we all know, Hillary's core supporters were card carrying members of the Birch society, and rabid right-wing anti-communists.

Well, that or they are actually the type who would regularly be calling Hillary a communist, but assumed that women were too dumb to tell the difference between Hillary and Palin - and that when that failed they just kept up the charade out of habit/unwavering belief in their superiority.