snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 23 September 2014, 02:00 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. For the first time since 1932, two women topped Quigley Publishing's latest list of the "Top Money-Making Stars" in entertainment. Name the two recent Oscar winners at the top of the list.
Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock
Quote:

2. A "clepsydra" was an ancient Greek device that used water to do what?
keep time
Quote:

3. Last month, Bakersfield, California native Kevin McCarthy became only the 25th person in American history to hold what post?
Poet Laureate
Quote:

4. In 1970, Arthur Janov published an influential book about what new form of psychotherapy, which seeks to re-experience and express repressed childhood pain?
the, IMO, highly dubious practice of hypnotherapy
Quote:

5. The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of what independent nation?
Serbia
Quote:

6. In one common wedding tradition, after the bride throws her bouquet, the groom throws what other item to the men in the crowd, after removing it from the bride?
her garter
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? The Avengers, Barton Fink, He's Just Not That Into You, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, The Judge (2014), License to Drive, Saving Private Ryan, Silverado.
Well, I haven't seen any of them, but that is not an unusual distinction. It does make it rather difficult to come up with an answer, though.

Seaboe
Old 24 September 2014, 10:49 AM

I guess that is a water clock, so: telling the time.

5. The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of what independent nation?

Serbia.

6. In one common wedding tradition, after the bride throws her bouquet, the groom throws what other item to the men in the crowd, after removing it from the bride?

The garther (?) - the ribbon-thingy the bride is wearing on her upper leg.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? The Avengers, Barton Fink, He's Just Not That Into You, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, The Judge (2014), License to Drive, Saving Private Ryan, Silverado.
Old 24 September 2014, 02:08 PM

Glasses

Don Enrico, did you mean to answer question 7?

Seaboe
Old 24 September 2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
4. In 1970, Arthur Janov published an influential book about what new form of psychotherapy, which seeks to re-experience and express repressed childhood pain?
Would that be primal scream therapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Last edited by Karl; 24 September 2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Adding the questions that I'm answering and whiting out the answers as A Turtle Named Mack suggested.
Old 24 September 2014, 08:49 PM

Karl, particularly in the early days after the questions are posted on Tuesday, we put our answers in white, so that those who do not want to see the answers can review the thread without spoilers.
Old 24 September 2014, 09:02 PM

I'm sorry about that; I have whited out my answers.
Old 25 September 2014, 12:37 PM

D'oh!

Seaboe, no, I meant to delete question 7 from the part that I copied.

And Karl's answer to question 5 is, of course, much more right than mine, which is flat out wrong.
Old 25 September 2014, 02:07 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Karl, particularly in the early days after the questions are posted on Tuesday, we put our answers in white, so that those who do not want to see the answers can review the thread without spoilers.
Except for me, because I don't do it.

What he's really saying is 'don't copy Seaboe, because you can't trust her answers anyway.'

Seaboe
Old 25 September 2014, 03:04 PM

Well, no, I was not referring to Seaboe - there are worse people about throwing out answers cluelessly. And some of us will throw out silly answers for the fun of it. I don't trust anyone's answers merely on the authority of their online reputation (although you should all trust what I say implicitly).
Old 25 September 2014, 06:49 PM

1. For the first time since 1932, two women topped Quigley Publishing's latest list of the "Top Money-Making Stars" in entertainment. Name the two recent Oscar winners at the top of the list.

Jennifer Lawrence and Sandra Bullock.

Tell time, it's a water clock.

3. Last month, Bakersfield, California native Kevin McCarthy became only the 25th person in American history to hold what post?

House Majority Leader.

Primal Scream.

Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Garter.

No idea.
Old 25 September 2014, 07:26 PM

About #7: I am embarrassed to admit I saw License to Drive when it first came out. I only remember 2 things about it. One was that it was extremely bad. The other is that it starred the two Coreys, as in Haim and Feldman. Then I remembered that Barton Fink and Saving Private Ryan have two main characters played by people with the same 1st name. Don't know about the others, though.
Old 25 September 2014, 07:31 PM

The stars of The Judge fit that pattern. (Both are Roberts)
Old 26 September 2014, 01:03 PM

The Avengers would fit that pattern as well, with Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans. And if I recall correctly, Silverado had Kevin Kline and Kevin Costner.
Old 30 September 2014, 11:47 AM

Good Tuesday to you all. Here is Ken Jennings' weekly installment.

As regular as a workplace Red Cross blood drive! As brief as a perfunctory quarrel over a restaurant bill! As mildly entertaining as a rerun of an NBC sitcom on an airplane! It's Ken Jennings's Tuesday Trivia!

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. For the first time since 1932, two women topped Quigley Publishing's latest list of the "Top Money-Making Stars" in entertainment. Name the two recent Oscar winners at the top of the list. Jennifer Lawrence and Sandra Bullock are currently the two most bankable movie stars, according to Quigley. The last time two actresses managed that feat, it was Marie Dressler and Janet Gaynor in 1932, the survey's very first year. Marie Dressler!

2. A "clepsydra" was an ancient Greek device that used water to do what? Tell time. A clepsydra is a water clock.

3. Last month, Bakersfield, California native Kevin McCarthy became only the 25th person in American history to hold what post? McCarthy is the new House Majority Leader, following Eric Cantor's surprising primary loss back in June.

4. In 1970, Arthur Janov published an influential book about what new form of psychotherapy, which seeks to re-experience and express repressed childhood pain? Janov is the father of "primal scream" therapy, which, let's be honest, probably doesn't work but seems like a good time and led to some hilarious Yoko Ono recordings.

5. The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of what independent nation? Sarajevo is now the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

6. In one common wedding tradition, after the bride throws her bouquet, the groom throws what other item to the men in the crowd, after removing it from the bride? The garter from her stocking. Of all the wedding traditions that make no sense whatsoever, this is probably the one that makes the least sense whatsoever.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? The Avengers, Barton Fink, He's Just Not That Into You, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, The Judge (2014), License to Drive, Saving Private Ryan, Silverado. Each starred a pair of actors with the same first name. To save you a trip to IMDb: Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth, John Turturro and John Goodman, Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Connelly, Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi, Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall, Corey Feldman and Corey Haim, Tom Hanks and Tom Sizemore, and Kevin Costner and Kevin Kline. I have a feeling I missed some good ones. Anybody?

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. A style of low-slung wooden chair with wide armrests is named for what American mountain range, where it was invented in 1903?

2. In a 1605 novel, what fictional peasant leaves his wife Teresa and joins a new master, lured by the promise of becoming governor of his very own island?

3. The only cast members to have starred in all four seasons of TV's American Horror Story are Evan Peters and a trio of actresses. Name any two of the three actresses.

4. The weta, a large cricket, and the tuatara, a reptile, are among the fauna unique to what country?

5. What professional sports team was named in honor of a famous local sports event, the Preakness Stakes?

6. What general was captured hiding in a swamp on April 22, 1836, the day after he was defeated in the 18-minute Battle of San Jacinto?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these musical acts? Badfinger, the Bee Gees, Big Star, the Four Tops, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Mamas and the Papas, the Temptations, and the Wailers?

Enjoy!
Old 30 September 2014, 12:21 PM

4. The weta, a large cricket, and the tuatara, a reptile, are among the fauna unique to what country?

The weta is not a 'large cricket'. It's a collective name for a group of insects, related to crickets and grasshoppers, and they are not indigenous to New Zealand. The tuatara is, though.

Re last week's quiz. There never was an 'archduke Ferdinand' connected to the outbreak of the First World War. The archduke, that was assasinated in Sarajevo, was called Franz Ferdinand.
Old 30 September 2014, 12:33 PM

1. A style of low-slung wooden chair with wide armrests is named for what American mountain range, where it was invented in 1903?

Adirondack

5. What professional sports team was named in honor of a famous local sports event, the Preakness Stakes?

Must the the (then Baltimore) Colts.

6. What general was captured hiding in a swamp on April 22, 1836, the day after he was defeated in the 18-minute Battle of San Jacinto?

Santa Ana?
Old 30 September 2014, 02:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Okay, since I think I have some right answers this week, I'll succumb to peer pressure and hide them. Sigh. Adirondack.
Quote:

2. In a 1605 novel, what fictional peasant leaves his wife Teresa and joins a new master, lured by the promise of becoming governor of his very own island?
The only novel by that famous 17th century action writer, Frank Bacon. Utopia.
Quote:

3. The only cast members to have starred in all four seasons of TV's American Horror Story are Evan Peters and a trio of actresses. Name any two of the three actresses.
Anne Heche (I don't have to white this one out because I'm pretty sure it's not right. Right?)
Quote:

New Zealand.
Quote:

Baltimore's Colts.
Quote:

Remember, the Alamo! Santa Ana
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these musical acts? Badfinger, the Bee Gees, Big Star, the Four Tops, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Mamas and the Papas, the Temptations, and the Wailers?
Only one of the original members is still alive.

Seaboe
Old 30 September 2014, 02:32 PM

Baseball 1 for 7 this week

A whole lotta guessing going on with me this week.

1. A style of low-slung wooden chair with wide armrests is named for what American mountain range, where it was invented in 1903? The Appalachian?

2. In a 1605 novel, what fictional peasant leaves his wife Teresa and joins a new master, lured by the promise of becoming governor of his very own island? Only book I know that old (and I could be off) Robinson Crusoe.

3. The only cast members to have starred in all four seasons of TV's American Horror Story are Evan Peters and a trio of actresses. Name any two of the three actresses. No clue whatsoever. Drew Barrymore and Courtney Cox.

4. The weta, a large cricket, and the tuatara, a reptile, are among the fauna unique to what country? I'm guessing Australia.

5. What professional sports team was named in honor of a famous local sports event, the Preakness Stakes? One I know. The Baltimore Colts. After the '90s expansion of the CFL into the US and the fiasco with naming the Baltimore franchise, it was emblazoned on my brain.

6. What general was captured hiding in a swamp on April 22, 1836, the day after he was defeated in the 18-minute Battle of San Jacinto? I'm guessing Santa Ana (only general I know from that era).

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these musical acts? Badfinger, the Bee Gees, Big Star, the Four Tops, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Mamas and the Papas, the Temptations, and the Wailers? I'm going with: after the band broke up, they released more albums since the breakup than before it. Plus they have sold more copies of those albums than the albums released before the breakup.
Old 30 September 2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Adirondack
Quote:
Sancho Panza
Quote:
Never even heard of the show
Quote:
Madagascar
Quote:
The Washington Bullets
Quote:
Napolean XIV
Quote:
All were working as studio musicians before forming the bands – except this would apply to Blue Oyster Cult, Procol Harum, Atlanta Rhythm Section and a bunch of other bands. Seaboe’s suggestion would apply to Lynyrd Skynyrd, too, IIRC. I’ll have to give this more thought.
Old 30 September 2014, 05:26 PM

Adirondack.

Sancho Panza.

No idea.

I'm going to guess New Zealand, based purely on Weta Workshop.

Baltimore Colts.

Santa Anna.

Nothing is coming to mind.
Closed Thread