snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 08 June 2014, 04:35 AM

Default Ever Wished That Billl Watterson Would Return to the Comics Page? Well, He Just Did

Let me tell you. Just getting an email from Bill Watterson is one of the most mind-blowing, surreal experiences I have ever had. Bill Watterson really exists? And he sends email? And he’s communicating with me?

But he was. And he had a great sense of humor about the strip I had done, and was very funny, and oh yeah….

…He had a comic strip idea he wanted to run by me.

http://stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2...l-he-just-did/
Old 08 June 2014, 04:52 AM

That was neat. Now he should ask Mr. Patterson to redesign his webite, too.
Old 08 June 2014, 05:15 AM

A couple of articles on the reveal, from Rolling Stone and The Washington Post.
Old 08 June 2014, 09:33 AM

I've never really got Pearls Before Swine - to me it seems an odd choice for him to pick as a collaboration.
Old 08 June 2014, 12:34 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I've never really got Pearls Before Swine - to me it seems an odd choice for him to pick as a collaboration.
He picked the guy who penned a homage to him that he probably got a kick out of. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.
Old 08 June 2014, 01:24 PM

The comics themselves were kind of meh, frankly. It was a panel of that cool Watterson artwork we all know and love, followed by a dumb throwaway joke. While the level of artistic aptitude of Watterson was certainly *one* of the things that separated him from the pack, it certainly wasn't the *only* thing. It was the way he forced his editors to allow him to play with the format the way people hadn't for 50 years, plus the often surprisingly dark thematic material (a recurring theme was "if you're creative, the world kind of hates you but that's all right because you can create your own world") and the way that the main character was often as not the object of rather than the purveyor of the joke of the day. And I know a lot of people hated it when Watterson would use the strip to talk about some particular issue that was dear to him, but I liked those as well.

Anyway, I don't want to say that "they don't make 'em like they used to", but to my mind the only comics worth reading anymore are web-based. If Watterson ever does come back, I hope that's the medium he chooses. There are no restrictions on your work if you're doing everything yourself.
Old 08 June 2014, 03:40 PM

In a way I think the story of how he came to do it is the good part. Particularly the clear reverence and astonishment from Pastis at the honor.

One of the things that saddened Watterson was the way that newspapers have shrunk the comics over the years, putting limits on what artists can do in the medium. He noted that there were lots of talking head/gag strips but that it's become a lot harder to make a strip that depended more heavily on the art (and that the old spectacularly drawn adventure strips are long gone). So I think it may well have been Pastis making fun of his own less-than-stellar artwork that really attracted Watterson's attention and gave him the idea. The fact that Pastis contacted him about the strip referring to C&H just offered the opportunity. Right place at the right time.

No, it's hardly Watterson's most brilliant work, but still...nice to know he's out there and still cares!
Old 09 June 2014, 12:50 AM

Semi-Twilight Zone moment, here: I read this thread this morning, then just a few hours ago called up Netflix streaming on my TV and there, in my "Recommended" list, was this 90-minute movie I've never heard of before called Dear Mr. Watterson - and it was a pretty darn good homage to Calvin & Hobbes with a ton of interviews with a whole bunch of cartoonists and the curators of several cartoon art museums and so on. Included was Mr. Patterson, but no mention of the collaboration because the movie was finished in 2012 and released in 2013. Still, quite weird to have read the one thing and then seen the other, quite out of the blue!