snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 03 June 2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Did you call it or what Chloe?
Well, I did, but surely we should be talking about whether or not men have or haven't called something?
Old 03 June 2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
The real parallel for men and the word "slut" is "faggot", because being a slut is not about being promiscuous per se, it's about violating sexual stereotypes.
Exactly. And unlike various archaic terms being dug up, "faggot" is not an admiring compliment.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
The correct term for a male slut is letch or letcher, but now obsolete in day to day use and would not carry the same negative meanings as it once did.
Those words are used here, but not meaning that the person is actually having sex. It means someone who ogles etc.
Old 03 June 2014, 06:42 PM

I see that misspelled the word "lech" by adding a "t" and it is so out of use that the auto spell checker does not know the word.

Lech comes for the word lechery meaning unrestrained or excessive indulgence of sexual desire. I heard it defined as ogles women when I was a child and later learned it meant doing a lot more. Though today men are not run out of town for being a lecher and are even admired for it by other men (unless it is their wife that is the subject of the lech).
Old 03 June 2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
It's not, as you go on to point out. So it looks like a case of "poor menz" after all.
Or maybe it's just a response to the naturally evolving conversation about the usage of the term "slut" and related terms?
Old 03 June 2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
Or maybe it's just a response to the naturally evolving conversation about the usage of the term "slut" and related terms?
Indeed. An inevitable, inevitable response.
Old 03 June 2014, 10:16 PM

It's like "Manwin's Law" or something: the longer one has a conversation about feminism and/or women's issues, the likelihood of said thread being derailed by people whinging "what about the mans?" actually rises above 100%, in that said thread will be derailed more than once by this.
Old 03 June 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I see that misspelled the word "lech" by adding a "t" and it is so out of use that the auto spell checker does not know the word.

Lech comes for the word lechery meaning unrestrained or excessive indulgence of sexual desire. I heard it defined as ogles women when I was a child and later learned it meant doing a lot more. Though today men are not run out of town for being a lecher and are even admired for it by other men (unless it is their wife that is the subject of the lech).
Yes, I know what the word means, and here, at any rate, it virtually never means a man sleeping with a lot of women.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lecherous
Old 09 July 2014, 10:40 PM

I've seen it used in some social circumstances in which a group was relatively large but still small enough that everyone saw all of the same people every day, even if he or she didn't know each of their names. In these instances, women used it as a 'preemptive strike' to try to eliminate competition by creating a stigma around the perceived competitor.

"Guys won't want her if they think she's a slut" seemed to be the mentality underlying it. The term was bandied about by women to women and by women to men for this purpose. When used by women in each others' company the goal seemed to be to create the rumor that may be passed along to the males at some later point.

Bottom line, it was used almost exclusively as a weapon by females on females to weaken female competition for male attention.