snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 07 February 2018, 12:37 AM

Liquor is sold in grocery stores, but not on Sunday before noon anywhere due to blue laws. Is that how it works in most states or are blue laws in the minority these days?
Old 07 February 2018, 01:05 AM

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5710135.html

It's at least somewhat out of date, however. MN now allows Sunday sales from 11 am-6 pm. That just happened last July.

We still don't have liquor in grocery stores (other than 3.2 beer) and it was only about 8 years or so ago (I think) that grocery stores were allowed to open up liquor stores at all.

So now we can have a Cub grocery store attached to the Cub liquor store- with separate entrances, but that wasn't allowed until relatively recently.
Old 07 February 2018, 02:14 AM

In all instances where I've used the term "liquor" I mean distilled spirits. Liquor stores can usually sell any kind of alcohol, in my experience. And grocery stores can usually sell alcohol, in the form of beer and often wine, but there's a split whether they can sell distilled spirits at all.
Old 07 February 2018, 11:06 AM

In Ohio you don't need a separate entrance, but that may be as much about the climate as the law. Like why our classrooms generally don't have doors to the outside.
Old 07 February 2018, 06:46 PM

I saw the separate entrance thing in Kentucky, where I also saw a gas station with a liquor store attached that was also a strange little bar.

In Wisconsin, the liquor is sold separate, in a store inside the bigger store, usually at the front.
Old 18 February 2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Most of our convenience stores sell beer and wine, and maybe those pre-mixed type cocktails, but don't sell hard liquor. There are exceptions -- I know of one 7-11 that actually stocks hard liquor (by a strange coincidence it's the one right across from San Diego State...).

I don't know if there are actually still states where hard liquor is sold only in special stores -- I believe Oregon used to be that way, but I don't think it is now.

ETA: a few second's Googling tells me that there are eight states where liquor is sold only in government-run stores: Alabama, Idaho, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.)
Not true for Washington state, and hasn't been for about 5 years.
Old 19 February 2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Liquor is sold in grocery stores, but not on Sunday before noon anywhere due to blue laws. Is that how it works in most states or are blue laws in the minority these days?
Blue laws are much less common than they used to be. Still, in Indiana, no carryout alcohol sales (except a few exceptions like wineries and craft beers?) on Sunday. And car dealers can't sell on Sunday.

Up until a couple years ago, bars were closed on elections days.
Old 19 February 2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Up until a couple years ago, bars were closed on elections days.
And there's been a number of elections where I needed a drink after votimg!