snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 29 January 2007, 05:40 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan With a 'Y' View Post
This looks like a variation on"Mother's Little Helper" from the ULRP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
It tooks to me like a version of http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/helper.asp
ZOMG - Did I spank an administrator?

(tiptoes quietly out)
Old 30 January 2007, 03:36 PM

Due to this stupid story, I had a dream a few nights ago about a cat's head stuck in a toilet, dead from drowning. (Presumably a kid tried to flush it down a toilet, but it didn't all go down.) Thanks a lot for the dream!
Old 02 February 2007, 05:42 PM
ericsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
However, I still think that the dad rushed into the bathroom, drowned the little boy, and then escaped with no one seeing except the little girl. The little girl, confused by these actions, explained it in the only way that made sense based on what she had seen with the kittens.
This would make a great episode of Law & Order...
Old 04 February 2007, 01:04 PM
Barbara

Whalephant Mea Cuppa, er, Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan With a 'Y' View Post
ZOMG - Did I spank an administrator?

(tiptoes quietly out)
Get back in here - it was my screwup, not yours. I must have been on my fourth cup of tea to have missed your post - I just didn't see it.

Barbara "shouldn't have been allowed on the Information Superhighway in such tea'd up condition" Mikkelson
Old 04 February 2007, 04:03 PM
Fiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
~snip~ I have the feeling that most young children are going to correlate the phrase "God took them" with their fathers doing the deed, rather than an abstract concept like the water being used to do the deed being God. Most of the young children I speak with imagine God as a person as a pretty concrete belief, and I know that when I was a kid, if such a ploy had been used on me after I saw my dad drown the kittens, I would have become deathly afraid of my dad thinking that he was God.

Now, back to the story, just because the little girl said, "God took him" doesn't mean that the little girl drowned her little brother. There could have been an accident (which is why it is stupid to leave the child under the supervision of another child in the first place, as other posters have pointed out), and the little girl may have correlated drowning with God's way of taking people based on her previous experience. ~snip~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's the same problem I have with it. Why is she taking it upon herself to drown the little boy? No one has said that he needs to be "taken by God." So she's just decided to drown him because she's seen it happen?
I think that she killed her little brother as revenge for what her father did to the kittens, and then, when her mother discovered this, taunted her by saying that god took him in the same way that god took the kittens. It is understood by both mother and daughter, though, that god didn't actually play a roll in either of the drownings.
Old 04 February 2007, 04:31 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
I think that she killed her little brother as revenge for what her father did to the kittens, and then, when her mother discovered this, taunted her by saying that god took him in the same way that god took the kittens. It is understood by both mother and daughter, though, that god didn't actually play a roll in either of the drownings.

Hmm...an alternate theory that actually makes sense.

Earlier I said that "kids are smarter than that". Now, I'm changing my story. "Kids aren't that smart."

b "I'm not a very good politician" john13
Old 04 February 2007, 04:51 PM

I'm changing my story to "kids aren't as sociopathic as that." Well..."The Bad Seed" aside...
Old 05 February 2007, 03:26 PM

My first reaction to this story was "What kind of idiot doesn't spay their cat?!"

Wishing she'd drowned the parents...
Old 10 February 2007, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Late in, but after reading the OP I would tend to agree to a point. Consider this, the little girl sees that unwanted things are drowned. Little brothers aren't exactly prizes for most little girls, so she took care of what she didn't want in the same manner as her father did. No need to be sociopathic for this, the kid learned by example. Of course, one would hope that the child would be able to weigh the difference between a human life and an animal life, but hey, her daddy's the freak out there drowning kittens. She doesn't have too good of a role model.