snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 16 January 2019, 07:51 AM

Icon18 Spider-Man: Far From Home - Trailer(s)

Well, this was not quite what I was expecting.

Contains what could be considered a very minor spoiler for Avengers: Engame (at least one person who was dust at the end of Infinity War, other than Spider-Man himself, isn't -- at least apparently, assuming the film takes place after Infinity War anyway -- and in the same universe -- and all the other possible ways to retcon things...

Old 16 January 2019, 08:01 AM

Into the Spiderverse was the best Spiderman movie (very surprisingly, since it was by Sony animation), and this one doesn't seem very promising in comparison.
Old 16 January 2019, 08:41 AM

I have a couple of friends who think Spider-Verse is the best superhero movie to date, period. My response has been to say that I wouldn't put it quite that high -- but it is the best comic book movie to date.

(Also, most of my favorite superhero films are "sequels" or part of a series where they had earlier films to set them up: notably, The Avengers, The Dark Knight, and X-Men: Days of Future Past. The exception is The Incredibles. You could argue that Spider-Verse is in a sense a sequel to the Sam Rami Spider-Man films, but only barely...).

Nonetheless, while it's hard to get much of a sense of how good this will be from the few moments we have here, it looks like it will be on a par with most of the MCU canon, none of which have been completely awful (though I still haven't actually seen The Incredible Hulk). Though I still reserve judgment on Infinity War till after I've seen Endgame -- I really feel like it's only half a movie.
Old 16 January 2019, 10:48 AM

For a while there I thought that Hydroman was an unusual and somewhat obscure choice of villain, then I saw the actual villain. Also unusual! Perhaps even moreso.
Old 16 January 2019, 06:01 PM

Dramatically more unusual. The Elementals are a group of Ms Marvel villains who haven't appeared in the comics since the 70s.

As for when this film takes place, I'm guessing after Endgame just because of how the movies have been broadcast in chronological order (excepting Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Ant-Man and Wasp).
Old 16 January 2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Dramatically more unusual. The Elementals are a group of Ms Marvel villains who haven't appeared in the comics since the 70s.

As for when this film takes place, I'm guessing after Endgame just because of how the movies have been broadcast in chronological order (excepting Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Ant-Man and Wasp).
Captan Marvel is set in the past as well. Iím guessing this will probably be set pre - infinity war.

Also Spiderman appeared in Civil War that took place part way through Spiderman homecoming..

Come to that, Dr Strange was way out of time as well....

Iím not sure that many of the films have been shown in order!
Old 16 January 2019, 08:28 PM

Also, annoyingly, on freeze framing the passport, there is no years of issue! Thay are playing with us!
Old 16 January 2019, 08:31 PM

Homecoming explicitly took place after Civil War.
Old 16 January 2019, 11:09 PM

Far From Home explicitly takes place after Avengers 4.
Quote:
“What I think we should focus on is this Spider-Man who started in Civil War and then has this [Homecoming] movie, and then will be in the Avengers movie,” Sony’s boss Amy Pascal said all the way back in late June 2017 about the then-new Spider-Man: Homecoming film. “And we are starting now the next one which will start a few minutes after Avengers 4 wraps as a story.”
Old 16 January 2019, 11:59 PM

Which basically confirms that not all the 'deaths' at the end of Infinity War were permanent -- which was pretty obvious anyway judging by who we lost: Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange (all of whose franchises are in the early stages), as compared to was left (particularly the original Avengers, most of whose actors are probably ready to leave the franchise anyway).

Or, my long-shot theory -- Thanos didn't kill anyone; he just split the universe in two, so that from the point of view of Spider-Man, for example, it was Iron Man who vanished -- and Engame will be about trying to put the two universes back together.

The big question for me really is whether they will let Loki stay dead (as he was apparently killed in our universe, not just turned to smoke) -- assuming he actually died; he's done that trick before. I'd hate to lose him from the franchise, even if he was only an occasional bit player.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:31 AM

I think there would be a lot of very, very happy fans if Loki ended up alive and had a new commitment to being more heroic.

Also, I've hears some speculation about how the Microverse might be outside of the Gauntlet's influence. I don't know if that's true, but it would give Ant-Man, who's otherwise ludicrously outmatched, a way to be more relevant in the story.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I think there would be a lot of very, very happy fans if Loki ended up alive and had a new commitment to being more heroic.
Especially as Marvel has confirmed that Loki's most evil outing (Avengers 1) was due directly to him being influenced by the Mind Stone. Atonement! Spin-off series! Squealing fans!
Old 17 January 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Oh please, like Marvel is ever going to pretend to kill Loki and then later reveal that he was never dead and it was all just a trick?
Old 17 January 2019, 01:42 AM

They don't necessarily have to.

He could have actually died and still be brought back.
Old 17 January 2019, 09:16 AM

You guys are aware that Loki really is getting his own spinoff TV series, right?

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/11/i...g-service-too/
Old 18 January 2019, 03:27 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
Especially as Marvel has confirmed that Loki's most evil outing (Avengers 1) was due directly to him being influenced by the Mind Stone. Atonement! Spin-off series! Squealing fans!
Iím not sure how I feel about that retcon. I just canít get onboard with all these rabid fangirls who try to make Loki the most innocent victim since Jesus. While I have no problem with him leaning more towards the side of good, but I find him more interesting with a slightly amoral streak in him. Hence why I while I will agree that the mind stone was influencing his actions, I think it was only enhancing what was already there, like his hatred and anger towards Asgard.

Then again, I sometimes wonder if the main conflict could have been resolved in Thor 3, by having Loki, Thor, and Hela unite in their hatred of Odin.

Hela: Our father used me as a weapon to conquer and subjugate the realms, then once he was done, he imprisoned me so I wouldnít pose a threat to his rule.
Loki: Well, he didnít tell me I was adopted then proceeded to raise me to hate my own race, probably intending to use me as some kind of bargaining chip at some point down the road. To say nothing of the clear favoritism.
Thor: Hey, he wasnít too much kinder towards me!

Hela: It sounds like our father was generally just terrible.
Loki: Agreed. Let us all drown our sorrows in mead.

Yeah, Thor was the favorite, but Odin still wasnít too much better to him. In fact, my personal headcanon is that was how Thor figured out that Loki had taken his place. The one time Odin displayed any fatherly warmth was when Loki was pretending to be him. I picture Thor being like, ďWait a minute, my father was being much less of a dick than usual.Ē

Though I know the upcoming movie does reveal that Spidey is brought back, which I suppose spoils things a little, at the same time, I really donít care, because Spidey was just sunshine and adorableness. If anyone deserves to survive, it should be him.

Of course, Iím still holding out hope that Thanos will be revealed to be an entitled NFBSKboy who canít take no for an answer like he was in the comics.
Old 18 January 2019, 03:56 AM

The way he treated Gamora and Nebula wasn't enough for you?
Old 18 January 2019, 04:11 AM

Mouse

As far as Iím concerned, Thanos canít be hated on enough, and it really cheeses me off when fans claim that he really did have noble motives or that he really loved Gamora. His horrific abuse of Nebula makes it impossible for me to believe any word that comes out of his mouth. To the extent he did love Gamora, I see it more as Thanos loved her as an extension of him, or the way someone might love a prize-winning racehorse. He would never ever have any issues with throwing her under the bus for whatever reason.
Old 18 January 2019, 01:04 PM

Germane to this turn of the conversation...

Old 18 January 2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
As far as Iím concerned, Thanos canít be hated on enough, and it really cheeses me off when fans claim that he really did have noble motives or that he really loved Gamora. His horrific abuse of Nebula makes it impossible for me to believe any word that comes out of his mouth. To the extent he did love Gamora, I see it more as Thanos loved her as an extension of him, or the way someone might love a prize-winning racehorse. He would never ever have any issues with throwing her under the bus for whatever reason.
I don't doubt that he did love her. Many abusive parents love their kids.

That doesn't do anything to mitigate or excuse it- if anything it makes it worse. He cared about her, but he cared about killing half the universe a whole lot more. People have a strong tendency to forget that "charismatic" and "driven" aren't synonyms for "good."