snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 20 March 2009, 04:43 AM

Military Army doesn't supply socks

Comment: I have a relative who says that the army does not supply socks
for soldiers. She is working to acquire gifts of suitable socks to be sent
to soldiers in Iraq and other places overseas and has already received
hundreds of pairs of "suitable socks." I can't believe that this is true.
Old 20 March 2009, 10:57 AM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I know this was not true in 1988, when I joined, and I am certain that it isn't true now.

Now, the Army does not (or at least did not) provide 'free' uniforms and such after boot camp, but we did get an anual 'uniform fund' payment every year, if my memory serves right. And I know full well that base stores have a wide selection of socks from what they issue in basic to more 'high tech' or 'athletic' socks that pass muster.

The basic fact is that foot care is something that the Army (and virtually every other modern military) takes VERY seriously. A soldier with bad feet is a casualty just as much as one with a bullet wound.

My guess, somebody heard that they don't hand out free socks every 24 hours and got some great exercise conclusion hopping.
Old 20 March 2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhull View Post
Now, the Army does not (or at least did not) provide 'free' uniforms and such after boot camp, but we did get an anual 'uniform fund' payment every year, if my memory serves right. And I know full well that base stores have a wide selection of socks from what they issue in basic to more 'high tech' or 'athletic' socks that pass muster.

The basic fact is that foot care is something that the Army (and virtually every other modern military) takes VERY seriously. A soldier with bad feet is a casualty just as much as one with a bullet wound.
Wearing unapproved types of sock sent by well-wishers could actually cause bad feet (poorly made seams rubbing, poor choice of fabric etc). I can see that some folks might have a preferred type of sock from a particular store that is suitable, but which isn't stocked by the army's stores and they might get friends and family to send extra pairs.
Old 20 March 2009, 09:14 PM
bl76km81

My son-in-law, is an Iraq war veteran, my ex-husband served in the 1st Gulf War, ironically they were issued the same type of socks, olive green. My ex must have at least 20 pair, all issued by the Army.

Rumors start, and people with no knowledge of the service, beleive everyone of them.
Old 20 March 2009, 09:32 PM

I have a drawerfull of Army issued socks. Seems like supply hands me out new socks and t-shirts about every six months.

I like the smartwool socks better, but they cost about $12 per pair, so I only have a couple. Everything else is OD Army issue 1pr wool/acrylic socks.
Old 20 March 2009, 11:34 PM

Whalephant

I was reminded of a note in Herman Melville's White Jacket: "And all the while the ship carries a doctor, well aware of Boerhaave's great maxim, 'Keep the feet dry.' "

There is also a cute reference to this in one of Bill Mauldin's famous WWII cartoons featuring Willy and Joe. "Joe, yestiddy ya saved my life an' I swore I'd pay ya back. Here's my last pair of dry socks."

Armies have known this for a LONG time.

Silas
Old 21 March 2009, 12:27 AM

Can't speak for the Americans, but the CF gives out socks with such ferocity that I had a drawer-full before I even aged out of cadets. They're the grey itchy wool variety.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:40 AM

So what are the Army issue socks like? Soft or scratchy? Durable or flimsy?
Old 21 March 2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Unless they have changed them recently (about a 50/50 chance), durable, but rough.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:59 AM
KKHB

Quote:
If they are anything like the USAF issued socks, they are scratchy but durable. My husband gave me all of his extras to use as slippers in the winter for my perpetually cold feet. They are okay if worn with a pair of cotton socks underneath.
Old 23 March 2009, 01:36 AM
Delta-V

Quote:
The ones I was issued were cotton. Not really soft, but not scratchy. They held up fairly well. Just a basic, cheap cotton boot sock in green. They're not as nice as my Fox River Blister Guard socks, but not bad.

Even the officers (who normally have to pay for everything in peacetime) get issued a few pairs, as well as 4 uniforms, 2 pairs of boots, and a ton of t-shirts.
Old 18 April 2009, 09:27 AM
Mnotr2

Quote:
I'm deployed and just yesterday received six pairs of Army issue socks. They're not the old, scratchy wool blend socks that I used to hate, but cushion-foot, cotton/poly blend that are very comfortable and fairly durable IMHO.

And I'm very picky about my socks.

Mnot - keep your feet dry - r2
Old 18 April 2009, 03:11 PM

The only grain of truth I can think here is that, when I was in basic training, people who got a rash from the green wool socks could wear green cotton socks from the PX, if they wanted to buy them, but we got a clothing allowance to buy underwear and bras, which was more than we needed, and the green cotton socks weren't expensive, so it was not a big deal. I suppose someone who could medically document a severe wool allergy could make a stink and get free socks, but it would have been a lot of trouble for little gain. I bought some of the cotton socks for the summer.

My husband got his white cotton socks for running PT free when he was deployed, and could technically get them free by presenting his worn out ones, filling out a DX form, and waiting for the new ones, but since he can buy a 10-pack at Wal-Mart for $3, and he wears them every day, he just buys them himself now.

The thing soldiers appreciate the most, in my experience, are phone cards. I don't know how much has changed since my husband was deployed in 2005, but we couldn't find a cell phone company that would give him service overseas, so he had to use the base phones, where he had to stand in line and wait for a landline, which he had to pay for with a credit card on our own phone service, or a calling card. The calling card was lots cheaper.

Books and videos are nice, but you have to know the soldier's taste, and sending toiletries saves them some money, but the postage is a lot compared to phone cards, since toiletries are mostly water, and they can get toiletries pretty cheap on base. It's not WWI, and they don't spend months in trenches.
Old 18 April 2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I suppose someone who could medically document a severe wool allergy could make a stink and get free socks
Quite literally.
Old 19 April 2009, 06:15 AM
Mnotr2

Rivkah,
Things have improved greatly in Iraq since 2005. Cell phone service while not very reliable, is relatively cheap.
Old 19 April 2009, 02:43 PM

Maybe your aunt read about how during the civil war, the woman all got together in sewing and knitting circles and knitted socks for the soldiers, and got the idea that meant that the army never issued socks. My mother seems to have gotten stuck with what she learned about WWI from reading the paper, and during viet nam started a sewing circle to make blankets for the soldiers. It wasn't til I came home on leave from basic that I finally convinced her that the army had plenty of blankets, and yes they were quit warm and sturdy.
Old 20 April 2009, 04:02 PM
ET1 (SS)

In the US Navy we wear black socks.

They are 'issued' in bootcamp and we are billed for them. The issued socks are also available at every Navy Exchange store. They have 100% wool toe, bottom and heel with an elastic knit from the ankle on up.

Some guys say that the black dye causes foot problems so they wear white cotton socks with thin poly black socks over them.

So long as the white does not show it is okay.

The above works in the Navy for our white uniforms, our Navy Blue [black] uniforms, and our working dungaree uniforms and poly coveralls.

Some sailors will have to wear the US Marine camo uniforms. I had to wear cammies at 2 of my duty stations. With them, high boots and pants that are bloused out, you can not see the socks. So socks really become a matter of choice. Thick cotton socks seem to be the preferred sock.

All of our uniforms are 'issued'. At some duty stations, if their uniform is unique, we will be issued a set of uniforms when we arrive. And 3 years later when we are checking out to transfer out, we will be expected to turn in one set of those uniforms. Now obviously one blouse and one pair of pants can not last 3 years, so we are expected the first week to go purchase uniforms at the base exchange. So in effect while working there, one set 'belongs' to the base, and the rest 'belong' to you.

Usually for most uniforms, we are issued a bunch of them at bootcamp, and we are billed for them. Then every year we receive one extra pay bump, for the purpose of buying replacement uniforms.

After 20+ years when I retired I had many uniforms.
Old 08 June 2009, 03:54 AM
AmazngWonder

My hubby is Air Force (I know...VERY different from the Army) and when he was enlisted he was given a uniform allowance. He's not Commissioned and doesn't get an allowance
Old 17 June 2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I would say it is 1/2 true.
Socks are issued for use with the boots. They are not bad, but shed like crazy.
White socks are not issued for the PT gear, and must be purchased.
Old 22 June 2009, 10:08 PM

Default Blankets for the troops

An article in my local paper says the local DAR chapter is collecting blankets for troops stationed in Afghanistan.

A soldier stationed there said they are issued one blanket and "they need more to stay warm where they are stationed in the mountains."

It also says they will leave the blankets for replacement troops when they are relocated.

Like the socks question, is this true? If so, I could donate some of my extras.

skrap