snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Humor

Old 09 November 2009, 07:24 AM

Fright Alan Shepard practical joke

Okay, here's the story I heard:

Back when he was still an active astronaut, Shepard got tagged by his bosses to lead a group of reporters on a tour of the Vehicle Assembly Building, a task he abhored. Well, supposedly, they went to the roof the building (then the tallest in Florida) and as he was showing them around up there, he casually walked by an employee doing work up there and patted him on the back... sending him over the side.

Supposedly there is video of this, complete with one of the female reporters fainting. The joke was revealed when the employee's voice was heard "Okay, can you pull me back up now?" as he dangled from the mandatory safety strap he was using, this all being set up before hand.

It's a funny story, but I do have trouble believing it. One, I've never seen the supposed footage. And two, while they were known jokesters, that was in front of 'civies' and that employee must of really trusted him and the safety gear in order to consent to the joke.

Anybody else hear this story?
Old 10 November 2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhull View Post
The joke was revealed when the employee's voice was heard "Okay, can you pull me back up now?" as he dangled from the mandatory safety strap he was using, this all being set up before hand.
So the reporters and an astronaut were in a place where the wearing of a safety strap was mandatory ... but they were not wearing safety straps?

Good thing the reporter that fainted didn't fall off the building since she wasn't wearing a safety strap.

OSHA would have been very unhappy.
Old 10 November 2009, 07:03 AM

A safety strap might save one's life if knocked off a building, but it almost certainly won't save them from injury. Depending on how they fell they could have broken bones, sprains, serious abrasions, or any other number of injuries.