snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Humor

Old 23 May 2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
To my shame I was well into my 20's before I realised that Ireland was not part of the UK.

Dropbear
I am equally ashamed to admit I thought it was in the UK until your post. Fortunately you arent the only one well into their 20's before they realised it .
Old 23 May 2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAAA View Post
I am equally ashamed to admit I thought it was in the UK until your post. Fortunately you arent the only one well into their 20's before they realised it .
Ditto that. I really have no idea what countries are part of the UK besides England and Wales - and for all I know, I have those wrong, too!
Old 23 May 2009, 10:28 AM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
I hate smugness on the part of people who think that just because some tourist doesn't know something they regard as obvious somehow makes them idiots. I've personally berated folk for being so utterly arrogant and pompous that they regard their casual contextual knowledge asUniversal required reading.
I agree up to a point, but I do think it's reasonable for Americans to know they don't need to exchange money when they go to Hawai'i (unless they're coming from outside the US!) and to know Iowa from Ohio and so forth. Speaking of Iowa, when I lived there, I had plenty of experiences with people trying to figure out things like whether Philadelphia was closer to New York or Boston, or which were the six New England states. It wouldn't have bugged me at all, if I hadn't also run into so many people who assumed anybody from the East Coast knew absolutely nothing about the Midwest.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Ditto that. I really have no idea what countries are part of the UK besides England and Wales - and for all I know, I have those wrong, too!
Currently England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

(Technically, before the UK, Wales was a principality of the Kingdom of England, although not part of England, and it hasn't ever really been an independent, united nation state in its own right - although there've been a couple of times several hundred years ago when it's been united in rebellion, or opposition to the English. Saying that probably annoys Welsh people, though. Northern Ireland has never been a country in its own right either, for that matter.)
Old 23 May 2009, 06:57 PM

Icon84

Quote:
To my shame I was well into my 20's before I realised that Ireland was not part of the UK.

Dropbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAAA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I'm a little surprised, given the worldwide media attention that the political problems in Northern Ireland generated.
Old 23 May 2009, 10:14 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
I'm a little surprised, given the worldwide media attention that the political problems in Northern Ireland generated.
Yes, but that I assumed the Northern Ireland was really just northern Ireland. So the troubles were expressed there but that the whole of Ireland was part of the UK.

Dropbear
Old 24 May 2009, 12:13 AM

Once, after driving from Saskatchewan to visit with my parents while they were on holiday in Ocean City, NJ, upon seeing my license plate someone asked me where in Ontario is Saskatchewan. I gently explained that Sask. was out west directly over Montana and North Dakota. That got me a very blank look.
Old 24 May 2009, 01:00 AM

Ditto about Canadian coins being all around the States... I have plenty of them around, but of course you never come across bills.

One difficult thing to explain to people not around here is the structure of New York City. New York City is not just Manhattan, which is what people think of when they hear 'New York City'. The five boroughs make up New York City, and Manhattan is the most famous one and the most urban. Also confusing is that while all of these are part of what is called Long Island, only the two eastern counties, Nassau and Suffolk, are considered to be part of Long Island. Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me but only because I learned all of it in my first year of school. Otherwise I'd be as confused as everyone else
Old 24 May 2009, 01:26 AM

I've received Canadian coins as change even this far south. A lot of Canadians spend the winter in Florida.
Old 24 May 2009, 01:57 AM

I've recieved Canadian coins this far East in my change.

I must have a suspicious face. How come the shopkeeper fails to notice a Canadian cent passed off on them, or that they are giving it to me in change, yet the moment I try to spend it in their shop in lieu of a 1p coin which is what they did to me in the first place then yeah, all of a suuden they can spot it immediately?
Old 24 May 2009, 12:25 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Squirrel View Post
One difficult thing to explain to people not around here is the structure of New York City. New York City is not just Manhattan, which is what people think of when they hear 'New York City'. The five boroughs make up New York City, and Manhattan is the most famous one and the most urban. Also confusing is that while all of these are part of what is called Long Island, only the two eastern counties, Nassau and Suffolk, are considered to be part of Long Island. Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me but only because I learned all of it in my first year of school. Otherwise I'd be as confused as everyone else
One time at a restaurant in Paris, I overheard a group of four or five young women - who apparently were from the NY area - debating which boroughs were on which island and which were on the mainland. I finally leaned over and explained to them that only the Bronx was on the mainland. They asked what part of NYC I was from, and seemed very surprised that anybody not from the area could know as much as I did.
Old 24 May 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'll accept that I must spend the rest of my life explaining to people that all of Ohio is not flat, ...
Years ago, in Holland visiting a Dutch family who had once lived near us, the children showed us their photo albums. On photo was of a small hill, and we asked the significance of it. Their teenage daughter said it was the first mountain she had ever seen.

Quote:
Also, regarding the OP, my BIL used to work as a taxi driver here, twenty years ago. Many visitors would arrive and ask him to take them on a tour around the island and bring them back before tea time. I suppose people who were used to motorways would figure that 120 miles from Dublin could be done in a few hours. However, even with some road improvements, a 120 mile trip to Kerry can still take over 6 or 7 hours, one way.
Living in Killarney (County Kerry) we often had tourists wanting to play golf in Waterville, about 50 miles away. But it was hard to convince them that they could drive there in less than an hour as it went over mountain coastal road, including some single lane stuff. Add to that the fact that they were going before dawn.

PS - Dublin to Killarney is over 200 miles.
Old 25 May 2009, 09:07 AM

Australia

Quote:
Australian mainland visitors to Tasmania ask about currency differences, passport requirements and duty-free options quite regularly.
Considering the dialect of the Tazzie wife of a friend of mine one could wonder if they speak the same language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
We seem to get the opposite with regards to the Republic of Ireland. I had a couple of friends going to Dublin for a weekend and I asked if they had their punts. They had no idea they didn't use the same currency as the UK.
Punts? I thought they had switched over to euros a number of years ago.
Old 25 May 2009, 09:25 AM

United Kingdom

Quote:
He asked me in a most honest voice, "How come you don't have HM customs?"
Maybe people (especially non-native speakers, which you probably deal mostly with when working at customs) don't realise the "HM" is "Her Majesty"?

I've been hearing Germans - trying to sound all sea-legged - to call a German civil vessel named "Hamburg" the "HMS Hamburg". They just picked up somewhere that there are some letters in front of a ship's name, and never spent a thought about what they might mean and why the civil vessel "Hamburg" is most likely not "Her Majesties Ship".

Don Enrico
Old 25 May 2009, 09:52 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Considering the dialect of the Tazzie wife of a friend of mine one could wonder if they speak the same language.
She was probably from Burnie - they talk funny in Burnie.

Dropbear
Old 25 May 2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
She was probably from Burnie - they talk funny in Burnie.
Close enough. They live in Launceston.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:41 AM

Australia

Quote:
...they talk funny in Burnie.
So now we know who the Taswegian/convicts pick upon, after we pick on them. Then the Burnie folk pick on the Kiwis.

My fave is my pommy cousin Nigel having to trawl the deep end of the prawning net on the way back in the Mandurah estuary one time..

"Are you sure there's no sharks here?"
"Yeah, the crocodiles ate them all."

I didn't have the heart to tell him about the cobblers.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
They just picked up somewhere that there are some letters in front of a ship's name, and never spent a thought about what they might mean and why the civil vessel "Hamburg" is most likely not "Her Majesties Ship".
I suppose they didn't say "USS Hamburg" at least...
Old 25 May 2009, 12:10 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
"Are you sure there's no sharks here?"
"Yeah, the crocodiles ate them all."

I didn't have the heart to tell him about the cobblers.
The cobblers who make alligator shoes? (Yes, okay, or crocodile skin shoes - whatever. What do I look like - a reptilologist? They're big green and bitey)

Dropbear
Old 25 May 2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The cobblers who make alligator shoes? (Yes, okay, or crocodile skin shoes - whatever. What do I look like - a reptilologist? They're big green and bitey)

Dropbear
In shoe form I sincerely hope they are neither big or bitey. Green is okay, but it doesn't match my handbag or my eyes.