snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Humor

Old 07 April 2009, 04:46 PM

Icon09 BYU student paper removed after caption error

One edition of the Brigham Young University student newspaper has been pulled from newsstands because of a typo in a caption that referred to Mormon leaders as apostates instead of apostles.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US
Old 07 April 2009, 04:50 PM

Wolf

I would bet dollars to donuts that this is a result of someone blindly relying on spellcheck without double checking that the suggested correct spellings are the word that you're looking for.

Demon "4 entries found for 'apostel'- apostate, a pestle, apostle, a postal" Wolf
Old 07 April 2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
I would bet dollars to donuts that this is a result of someone blindly relying on spellcheck without double checking that the suggested correct spellings are the word that you're looking for.

Demon "4 entries found for 'apostel'- apostate, a pestle, apostle, a postal" Wolf
That was my thought as well. How embarassing, considering that BYU is owned lock, stock and barrel by the LDS Church.

Reminds me of the time when I was working at a small community paper in the eraly 1990s. We ran an item under the heading of "public notice", but we left the "l" out! The next day a local wiseacre sent us a congratulations note, telling us of how he remembered his first pubic notice when he was about 12 and how grown up he felt.
Old 08 April 2009, 07:59 AM

Merriam-Webster online:
Quote:
apostasy

1 : renunciation of a religious faith
2 : abandonment of a previous loyalty
Joseph Smith started a new religion. I assume these people were religious before they followed him. What's the problem?
Old 08 April 2009, 11:31 AM
Jonny T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Merriam-Webster online:

Joseph Smith started a new religion. I assume these people were religious before they followed him. What's the problem?
Mormons tend to describe themselves as Christian, albeit of a different breed to most.

(Most other Christians disagree, in my experience.)

Also, it's a term which is overwhelmingly used in a negative sense.
Old 08 April 2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny T View Post
Mormons tend to describe themselves as Christian, albeit of a different breed to most.

(Most other Christians disagree, in my experience.)

Also, it's a term which is overwhelmingly used in a negative sense.
Additionally, a central tenent of Mormonism involves a Great Apostasy in which, in the years folowing the death of Christ, his teachings and church were lost through misinterpretation and mistranslation of scriptures. This is what necessitated the resoration of the gospel through Joseph Smith. An apostate, therefore, is usually anyone who does not follow the restored gospel, according to Mormons.
Old 15 May 2009, 11:16 PM
Agent 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Merriam-Webster online:

Probably because the founding of the religion was 200 years ago and the current leadership wouldn't have abandoned any previous religion, thus implying they were abandoning the LDS one.
Old 16 May 2009, 03:36 AM

The original story is no longer there, but Floater is right - that can't be a typo.

Why would the Mormon leaders be "apostles"? They aren't apostles by any definition, I don't think - let alone one that a caption-writer from a non-Mormon university would go out of their way to use. Yet they are "apostates" by the usual definition. Especially for people who still follow the religion they supposedly "left".
Old 16 May 2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The original story is no longer there, but Floater is right - that can't be a typo.

Why would the Mormon leaders be "apostles"? They aren't apostles by any definition, I don't think - let alone one that a caption-writer from a non-Mormon university would go out of their way to use. Yet they are "apostates" by the usual definition.
They are self-referred to as apostles.
Old 16 May 2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Joe View Post
Reminds me of the time when I was working at a small community paper in the eraly 1990s. We ran an item under the heading of "public notice", but we left the "l" out! The next day a local wiseacre sent us a congratulations note, telling us of how he remembered his first pubic notice when he was about 12 and how grown up he felt.
A few months ago I applied for a job as a state park ranger. One of the instructions on the form was "Describe your experience with pubic speaking."
Old 18 May 2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post

Why would the Mormon leaders be "apostles"? They aren't apostles by any definition, I don't think - let alone one that a caption-writer from a non-Mormon university would go out of their way to use. Yet they are "apostates" by the usual definition. Especially for people who still follow the religion they supposedly "left".
See definition #4 for apostle at m-w.com: "one of a Mormon administrative council of 12 men." To Mormons, they hold the same office as the original 12 apostles. All of the current apostles were raised Mormon. Since they never "left" any other religion, they can't be referred to as apostates. Unless you think lifelong Protestants are apostate Catholics and lifelong Christians can be called apostate Jews.

BYU is a Mormon university, but any objective news reporter would properly refer to them by the ecclesiastical title bestowed by the church they belong to. If a church has officers they call "deacons," then a reporter ought to call them deacons, not apostates.