snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Humor

Old 16 January 2010, 06:56 AM

I actually thought it was kind of funny, but I'm immature like that.

It hearkened back to the horrible, horrible things my sister and I did to each other when we were growing up. We can bicker over who has the moral high ground all night long, but I don't think it's all that important; we have a boy who history has already proven to demonstrate bad judgment (a 12-pack in your room? Please) and a girl dumb enough to leave her list unattended in a house with an internet connection and a revenge-minded teenager with a devious streak.

Bottom line: something like this was going to happen at some point. While I see ample people giving the sister the moral high ground here, I can guarantee you that justice and the law were the last things on her mind when she narced out her brother. In fact, she may very well have ratted him out because he wouldn't share. Anyone who thinks that her motive was clean living and righteous thoughts, well, I got a bridge that's just your color.

This doesn't let the little brother off the hook, though. He's clearly cracking an egg with a sledgehammer here, and the same brilliant judgment that put a case of beer in his room in a house with a snoopy sister is at work there.

These are not mature, intelligent people who consider the ramifications of their actions and plan accordingly. These are a couple of idiot teenagers butting heads over stupid shit.

Love, Who?
Old 20 January 2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
First of all I really doubt this story ever happened,
I agree, which makes me feel really silly for arguing the point, but what the heck.

Quote:
but if it did, there is still such a thing as "making the punishment fit the crime".
I'm going by memory here, but I don't think anybody here has disputed that. It's just that it's also worth noting that the sister went looking for trouble. That's not the same as saying she deserved what he did to her.

Quote:
The sister would have been punished for snooping in most families except that what she did ended up paling in comparison to what her brother did to her.
In most families. In the unlikely event that this story is real, I would not overlook the possibility that this family is among the exceptions. I can tell you that in my family, the sibling who tattled almost always got off scot free. It didn't ever seem to occur to my parents how much animosity that inspired between their children. (To this day, they don't have a clue as to why sis and I can't just work out our differences. And that's after she got physically violent with me on at least two occasions and got off with barely a "don't do that again".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
But I'm not saying we were right, and if, in fact, you are in a situation where you have to play espionage against your siblings, that's not a healthy household.
I never said it was, and I don't think anybody else did either. In my last post (which you responded to), I was not talking about what's healthy; I was talking about the reality of what some teenagers need to cope with when it comes to relations with their parents and siblings. And I can tell you from experience, there are cases where what sounds appropriate on paper is absolutely useless in reality.
Old 20 January 2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave View Post

In most families. In the unlikely event that this story is real, I would not overlook the possibility that this family is among the exceptions. I can tell you that in my family, the sibling who tattled almost always got off scot free. It didn't ever seem to occur to my parents how much animosity that inspired between their children. (To this day, they don't have a clue as to why sis and I can't just work out our differences. And that's after she got physically violent with me on at least two occasions and got off with barely a "don't do that again".)
Dave, I do understand that when issues of family come up all most of us can go by is our own personal experience. In your case you grew up with an abusive mother and an abusive sibling. Naturally that is going to colour your perception of these kinds of situations.
Old 20 January 2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave View Post
A child's perceptions of what happens in family relationships may not include the entire truth, and may well be skewed completely because of that perspective.

Not to say that that is what happened in your case, Dave, but that there is often more to the story than a child thinks.
Old 21 January 2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Not to say that that is what happened in your case, Dave, but that there is often more to the story than a child thinks.
Agreed. I was only responding to the prior argument about how what the boy supposedly did was "unhealthy". Which, of course, it was.
Old 15 December 2010, 03:56 PM

The main reason I think it's fake is that all these high-spirited young people apparently have perfect spelling, which just doesn't happen on Facebook.

Pinning down the actual provenance of this alleged screen grab is a little tricky. At one point it went viral and was posted and reposted all over the internet, but a quick survey of a couple dozen of those reposts show that they all either still had the lolfbmoments.com watermark or had poorly photoshopped it out, so it was probably originally posted there. That site became inactive on July 15 2010 (their twitter feed and FB fan page still exist but have fallen into disuse) but much of their other content was reposted on other sites and can be found via google (NSFW for nudity, swearing, racism, etc), and sometime you can still access their original content if you know where to look. (Slightly NSFW content for swearing & boobage.)

From what I can gather the site was similar to failbook.com in that people take screengrabs of their friend's funny Facebook posts and send them to the site, but a fair amount of the content from lolfbmoments.com seems fake to me. The spelling and grammar is often too consistently good, the humour is a little too pat, the identities of the posters are obscured in exactly the same way, no one used l33tspeak, the witty comebacks are a little too consistent ... it just seems like it's the work of writers rather than actual FB screen grabs from different people.

So yeah, given the context in which the brother/sister screengrab came from I'd say it was fake.
Old 20 December 2010, 01:10 PM

If this were real, there's nothing in the brother's original post that suggests the sister was "snooping" in his room. He just complains that she ratted him out about the "12-pack".
Old 21 December 2010, 02:26 AM

Something that I'd like to bring up (assuming the unlikely event that this is real), is that he may have NOT been releasing this to the entire world for all times.

Consider his (apparent) age. He seems be young - and in his mind, he MAY have been telling school and her "wish list" targets. He may have not even considered the possibility that it would get out or last forever. Much like sexting - only me and that ONE other person will know - he may have thought only their small circle of friends would know and he never considered a lingering effect.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 30 December 2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
Is anyone considering the fact that the sister was snooping around in her brother's room in the first place, finding the hidden booze?

Go on about ratting him out as being nasty if you want, but if she wasn't snooping around where she shouldn't be in the first place, none of this would've happened.
Maybe she was snooping to get back her brother for something he had previously done. This is probably just one snapshot of many conflicts between them.

My sisters and I have engaged in sibling rivalry and pranking but the unspoken rule is that whatever we do should be proportionate to what has already happened and should leave no lasting damage.
Old 30 December 2010, 04:00 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotBat View Post
My sisters and I have engaged in sibling rivalry and pranking but the unspoken rule is that whatever we do should be proportionate to what has already happened and should leave no lasting damage.
My brother and I had a similar rule, but there were walls in our house with human shaped holes/dents that prove how sometimes things get out of hand.

After that, it becomes a team effort to cover up the damage.

Demon "Mom: Umm... Boys? Why did you move the book case to from the living room to the hallway?" Wolf
Old 30 December 2010, 05:08 PM

Not sure if this has been said ... but one has to wonder how the opinions of people on here would be if the role was reversed. The sister finding a list of girls her brother has slept with and posted it on facebook ...

Dodger
Old 30 December 2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger_stl View Post
Not sure if this has been said ... but one has to wonder how the opinions of people on here would be if the role was reversed. The sister finding a list of girls her brother has slept with and posted it on facebook ...
I would say posting anything private about anyone is bad. Gender is irrelevant. If you know the person wouldn't want it to be posted, then you shouldn't post it. Even if it's something positive. Your Facebook is for you to post news about yourself; let others post news about themselves. I don't even like posting pics of myself that happen to have other people in the background, without asking the other people first.
Old 30 December 2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Dodger
His peers might react favorably (the old slut/stud double standard) but I would hope that more mature would see it as equally bad.
Old 30 December 2010, 07:47 PM
Arrietty

Quote:

Dodger
Why would anyone, aside as Dotbat noted perhaps his friends, react any differently? It's still a gross invasion of privacy and even if the guy didn't mind for some reason, I suspect at least some of the girls (and their families) would be furious.
Old 07 January 2011, 10:32 PM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate kisses View Post
I am thoroughly embarrassed to admit I thought it meant Valentine card!
So did I. Now I want to know what it does mean, but I assume it's something I shouldn't be Googling from work.
Old 07 January 2011, 10:34 PM

V-card = virginity.