snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 05 April 2013, 01:48 PM

Default Flight diverted after family raises concerns over PG-13 inflight movie

Quote:
During the flight, the PG-13-rated detective film "Alex Cross" was shown on drop-down monitors across the plane.

The family worried about their young children seeing inappropriate content in the film.
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...engers/274512/

The family got deplaned after "security issues" about them, all they apparently did was try to get the movie stopped. I suspect there are two sides to the "nice family" story. "no voices raised", yet the plane was diverted.

I'm mixed on this one.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:01 PM

Link?

Trying to get the movie stopped is completely unreasonable, IMO. Don't buy the headphones, and give your kids a book to read.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:16 PM

Why is it completely unreasonable?

If it were rated PG-13 for language or other things that simply not wearing headphones could avoid, then I'd definitely agree with you, because it would be easy to make sure your kids weren't exposed to that. But according to IMDB, it is "Rated PG-13 for violence including disturbing images, sexual content, language, drug references, and nudity."

I'm not a prude, but I can see the problem with exposing people to content they don't want to be exposed to when they just want to take a plane ride.

Now, it's quite likely that at least someone in this family went a bit farther than asking politely, as hambubba suggests, or else why would they be kicked off? But I don't see anything wrong with asking politely (even if firmly) to not play the movie.

Edit: Here is a link to an article on the incidence.

Last edited by Jahungo; 05 April 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:24 PM

Because they're not the only people on the plane.

If there are individual monitors at the kids' seats, ask if they can be turned off or covered with a blanket.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
I'm not a prude, but I can see the problem with exposing people to content they don't want to be exposed to when they just want to take a plane ride.
Then we'll just have to stop showing movies, probably, because just about any movie could contain something that would be objectionable to at least one person.

ETA: From the link:

Quote:
The family also contends that United should reassess the movies they screen to ensure they are appropriate for all audiences.
Good luck with that.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:26 PM

Forgot the link, sorry. Thanks Jahungo!
Old 05 April 2013, 02:29 PM

Airplane

From United's Hemisphere Magazine:

Quote:
Most films have been edited for airline use. However, customer discretion is still advised. Content guidelines are provided as a courtesy to help our customers decide whether to view a film.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
If there are individual monitors at the kids' seats, ask if they can be turned off or covered with a blanket.
The article says they were drop downs, and they were told they couldn't be turned off. Otherwise, your solution would be the easiest.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:47 PM

Yes, I saw that when I read the article, but the link hadn't been posted when I made that suggestion. The blanket idea still might work -- if you can't cover the monitors, maybe you could build a blanket fort over the kids somehow.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:50 PM

I don't think that would be allowed for safety reasons.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:57 PM

What, letting a kid read a book under a blanket?

ETA: To clarify, in the phrase "build a blanket fort," the word "build" is not intended to be taken literally.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:25 PM

Movies shown on "common screens" on airplanes are edited for running time and content - there would not be serious gory violence or nudity, and the children could have been given another activity to do - with the responsibility of the parents to make sure they do not avert their gaze from their book or other activity. You'd think, too, that if there were *two* parents, one could watch the kids and other could watch the movie - most of that movie would be perfectly acceptable for children of any age to watch, and there's likely to be some warning (by watching the movie and paying attention to it) when there might be something unpleasant.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
But according to IMDB, it is "Rated PG-13 for violence including disturbing images, sexual content, language, drug references, and nudity."
As others have pointed out, movies are edited for viewing on flights. It's not the same cut that the MPAA rated.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Why is it completely unreasonable?

(Snip)

Because it's impossible to have any concept of "public" which can really do that.

The very idea of "appropriate for public" is based on the concept of what most people find objectionable.

Which makes it very annoying for those of us that don't share and/or understand the general populaces hangups about certain things.

If I was making a list of things that truly and honestly bother me I'd get pretty far down the list before the things that makes the MPAA slap a PG-13 on a movie made it on there.

If an edited for content PG-13 movie is enough to bother you, then no you don't need to be in any public place pretty much because the world is going to make you cry.
Old 05 April 2013, 07:30 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
I suspect there are two sides to the "nice family" story. "no voices raised", yet the plane was diverted.
Yeah, a diversion is actually pretty expensive for an airline, so it's not something they like to do unless there's a really good reason for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Don't buy the headphones.
IIRC, the last time I flew on United the headphones were free, and were provided in every seat pocket. But that's just a nitpick. The parents could still, of course, take them away from the kids.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 05 April 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05 April 2013, 07:41 PM

Oh man. Bridge to Terabithia. I didn't put the headphones on and still ended up sobbing. That's only PG. I felt so trapped. I did not want to have a catharsis on a plane. The poor lady next to me was so uncomfortable. I tried to read but I could hear other people crying too. Sucky sucky movie choice.
Old 05 April 2013, 08:40 PM

I would be annoyed if I was subjected to a movie I didn't want to watch--why in the world would the monitors be always on?
Old 05 April 2013, 08:44 PM

On most older planes you didn't have your own individual monitor, they were mounted up on the ceiling or even on the front wall of each section and showed the movie to large sections of people.
Old 05 April 2013, 08:51 PM

Where there are individual monitors, I agree it should be possible to turn them off. But I don't know if that was the setup in this case or not. In some planes there are multiple drop-down screens, each of which serves multiple rows of seats. If that was the set-up in the OP case, then turning off the one nearest the family, assuming it were possible, would affect other parties on the plane, too.
Old 05 April 2013, 09:05 PM

Airplane

I've flown on United's Airbuses many times, and that is the setup they have on them. Since the article says the movie was shown on drop down monitors I would deduce that was the type of plane they were on.

And I have to nitpick Joe's post -- the age of the plane itself doesn't matter that much. It's more a matter of what kind of entertainment system the airline chooses to install and when the cabin was last refurbished. There's no reason United couldn't install individual screens on their 1990s Airbuses if they wanted, and it's not unheard of for an airline to put the overhead monitors on new planes evan today (I hear AA has them on some very new 737s).