snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 27 January 2011, 08:08 PM

Frying Pan Self-Googling yields privacy concerns

Snopes.com, a site that explains and fact-checks urban legends and rumors, responded to a rash of chain emails and Facebook posts from the spring of 2010 that cautioned people to opt out of Spokeo (no doubt drastically increasing traffic to the site as well). In response, writers on the Snopes Spokeo page made an analogy that will ring true to anyone who’s ever attempted to control his or her online identity.

“Removing your personal information from display by Internet aggregators isn’t a one-time deal, but rather more like a never-ending game of Whack-a-Mole,” says the page.

http://www.addisonindependent.com/20...ivacy-concerns
Old 27 January 2011, 11:56 PM

What a coincidence. I just copied & pasted that paragraph into my friend's Spokeo warning on Facebook.

I mean - with the link to the Snopes page, of course.
Old 28 January 2011, 12:22 AM

Ugh. I had no idea how obnoxiously revealing Spokeo really is. Thank goodness I don't use this user name anywhere else.
Old 28 January 2011, 02:01 AM

I put in a few pieces of info about me and didn't find much, but wow, my mom's phone number generated a surprising amount of accurate information. Yikes.
Old 28 January 2011, 03:01 AM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Spokeo has tons of information, but IME 90% of it is wildly wrong. So why bother to try to remove it? IMO it might only encourage them to publish accurate info.

Example: Spokeo says that my mother is male. It lists my brother and I as members of her household, even though neither of us has lived there for over 20 years. My grandmother is shown as married and living with my grandfather, although he died in 1989.

Four Kitties
Old 28 January 2011, 03:12 AM

Spokeo says my parents and I have lived in my house for 15 years. It also says my parents and I currently live in my college apartment.

It also says my phone number belongs to a man with the initals D.S., who lives across town.
Old 28 January 2011, 03:26 AM

It had me down pretty well, and they displayed my first name as one that's linked to only one email address. My parents' information is all accurate, except that they list my SIL as living in their house.

The information they display for my real life self is all available online on other sources. My other online name displays all of the pages I've created for myself since 2001. I didn't realize that my LJ wasn't set to Friends Only security!
Old 28 January 2011, 03:39 AM

I know that I'm not in there so I entered my parents' phone number. The satellite photo showed an empty field that is near the house, but the ages and length of ownership were way off.
Old 28 January 2011, 06:09 AM
Violiav

They didn't have much on me, just one address. but for both my parents and my sister they listed two previous address, and for my boyfriend 3 different addresses.
Old 04 February 2011, 12:42 PM

I entered my name and got nothing but them asking if I spelt it correctly(yes I know how to spell my name . I entered my Mum, Dad, Brother and Sister-in-laws names and got several Americans with the same name...lol I love having a unusal first name.