snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 16 January 2007, 03:39 PM

My parent's doctor told them that a sneeze is either allergy or virus. I laughed my socks off. I told them that a sneeze is also the body's reaction to an inhaled irritant - dust, grit, sand or anything else that tickles the lining of the nose. I also cited light-sensitive sneezing and humidity/temperature change sneezing and sneezing when I pluck straggly hairs from my eyebrows. I had to explain that "irritant" is not the same as "allergy" as it's a physical irritant, not a histamine reaction. I'm guessing they took the doctor's words out of context or that the doctor erroneously assumes a certain level of common-sense from my parents (they take her word literally).

Sometimes my reflexes get stuck in sneeze mode and I go into double figures. It's really annoying as I sneeze violently, however much I try to sneeze gently (apparently I just have a good pair of lungs!). Mum also sneezes into double figures, so I'm guessing this oddity may be inherited.

Do not read any further without heeding a TMI alert.

As for the sneeze/climax thing, I get the same sensation of will it happen, won't it happen "aaah ....aah .... aaah ...nope, seems not ... oh hang on ....aaaah .... aaaah.... aaaah choo/oh yessss" with both things. And often my nose runs while/after I climax. Reminds me of the "everytime I sneeze I climax joke" (are you taking anything for it? yes, snuff!)
Old 16 January 2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Reminds me of the "everytime I sneeze I climax joke" (are you taking anything for it? yes, snuff!)
A right twisted wench from Caprees-ed
Orgasmed each time that she sneez-ed
To the druggist she went
And laid down her last cent
Said, "A barrel of snuff, if you pleas-ed."

-Axel the Sot
Old 21 January 2007, 03:15 AM
Amused

(second newby post!)

I am a major multiple sneezer, always have been, and it's always allergies.
My kids don't seem to have any allergies yet (I credit my magical breast milk! )
but when they do sneeze, it does seem to be in the multiples too.

Now I would much rather have multiple orgasms, then sneezes, whoever compared the two was doing one of them wrong!
Old 21 January 2007, 08:03 AM

I've heard three sneezes in a row is good luck. I usually sneeze three times in a row.
Old 22 January 2007, 05:26 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersten View Post
As a kid, I saw an episode of Clarrissa Explains It All (I believe that was the show) and she said the number of times you sneeze in a row has a meaning. Anyone heard this?
I can't remember what each number meant, so I found an example on the internet. A guy claims that:
1 sneeze = dust/allergies

Only one? In allergy sufferer?! On what planet?
Old 11 July 2007, 05:04 PM
Robigus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I have the common sneeze reflex when walking out into bright sunlight, but I've never sneezed due to a cold or other illness.
I have light sensitive sneezing also, which I am amazed to find out is a recognized medical condition called Photic Sneeze Reflex.
Old 12 July 2007, 04:28 AM

Sneeze on Monday, sneeze for danger.
Sneeze on Tuesday, kiss a stranger.
Sneeze on Wednesday, get a letter.
Sneeze on Thursday, something better.
Sneeze on Friday, sneeze for sorrow.
Sneeze on Saturday, see your true love tomorrow.
Sneeze on Sunday, the devil will have you the rest of the week.

This is from the book "A Dictionary of Omens and Superstitions" by Phillippa Waring. I have seen it elsewhere slightly different: sneezing on Saturday would cause you to see your 'sweetheart' tomorrow, and the last line was, 'sneeze on Sunday, your safety seek, or the devil will have you all week.'

Personally I think that version has a better sound to it, but who asked me?

The book also talks about saying 'bless you' when someone sneezes: oft thought of as superstition, the author suggests it may come from Roman times (?) when a sneeze might be the first sign a person had caught the plague.

She names several other superstitions ralated to sneezing but not to number; I'll post them if anyone is interested but otherwise I wont hijack the thread for them......

By the way, the book is copyrighted 1978, just if anyone cares for time frame reference. (I always like to look at the dates when I read anything cultural, like superstitions, but maybe that's just me.)

I've also read somewhere: One sneeze is lucky, two sneezes queer, three sneezes-get your hanky!, four sneezes, oh dear, five sneezes, off she goes, into the bed and under the clo'es.

Which would imply that on the fifth sneeze, they decided 'she' was actually sick.

And I've read the one in the OP, which several people here say is actually for magpies, and where I saw it, it was related to sneezing. No mention of magpies.
Old 12 July 2007, 11:03 PM

I sneeze in 8's.
everytime i sneeze, 7 more follow behind in rapid succession.
I also sneeze in restaurants, or more accuratly, about 5 minutes from LEAVING a restaurant.
I once thought that i may be allergic to something in the bread (as bread was the common theme in every restaurant meals.) but then i had a meal without bread and the same thing... so.. who knows..
Old 14 July 2007, 04:54 PM

My friend's mother always tried to sneeze three times. It would "get the devil to leave!" It was mostly tongue in cheek - like she was teasing. But each time someone would sneeze, she would try and encourage three sneezes.

JMC
Old 15 July 2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
I also sneeze in restaurants, or more accuratly, about 5 minutes from LEAVING a restaurant.
Could it be due to changing from dry air-conditioned air to outside air? I knew someone who sneezed when going into a mall and also when leaving a mall. His doctor told him it was sinus related and due to changes in air humidity.

Bright light can also make me sneeze. Good job I never wanted to be a fighter pilot

I can have sneezing fits into double figures. This is a nuisance as I sneeze very violently. If I have an upper respiratory tract infection (rather than just inhaling an irritant) the violence of the sneezes can cause leakage. I do lots of pelvic floor exercises (doing them now ), but even that can't counteract the side-effect of very violent URTI-related sneezes (in fact it seems like an early symptom of an URTI).
Old 26 August 2007, 04:05 AM

Default NFBSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
I didn't play a lot of sports in high school... Now I feel like I missed out...

Anyway, the video I mentioned, I think this might be it.
I googled "Where did I come from" and the link I got was not what I was looking for (I kinda remembered the video and thought I might find it online..I was way off) But after I checked your link that IS the one I remembered. Here is the lnk for what I found. I um dont even know what to say about it other than NFBSK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AbQ68UwGAE