snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 15 January 2007, 05:02 AM

I once sneezed 12 times in a row.

I'll take an orgasm over that experience any day of the week.
Old 15 January 2007, 07:11 AM

My sneezes usually come in three's or more. A really good sneeze (or series of sneezes) feels good, but not THAT good. Perhaps the person who originally equated sneezing with orgasms wasn't doing it right (I don't mean the sneezing).
Regardless, my sneezes are loud, having been heard 3 houses down on a cold day when doors and windows are all shut. DS2 sneezes like me, while the others have much gentler, girly-type sneezes. People often ask me if I'm catching a cold when i sneeze, and look at me doubtfully when I assure them I'm not. COlds and flu usually result in coughs that sound like a barking seal and give me headaches.
Old 15 January 2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcm View Post
I have also heard the one which says that every time you sneeze your heart stops. I'd be long dead by now if this was true!
I've heard that one, and someone once told me that every time you sneeze, you lose brain cells. Which wouldn't mean much, because you lose brain cells all the time, anyway.

I usually sneeze twice, but it's mostly due to dust or excessive sunlight. (Apparently in some people squinting can trigger the sneeze reflex.) I hardly sneeze when I have a full-on cold.
Old 15 January 2007, 04:45 PM
evilrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersten View Post
As a kid, I saw an episode of Clarrissa Explains It All (I believe that was the show) and she said the number of times you sneeze in a row has a meaning. Anyone heard this?
I can't remember what each number meant, so I found an example on the internet. A guy claims that:
1 sneeze = dust/allergies
2 sneezes= a cold
3 sneezes= the flu

It surely can't be like that for everyone (if anyone at all)... some people sneeze many, many times in a row!

On a related note, anyone heard that how many times you sneeze in a row is "genetic"?
I remember that episode...I don't think it was meant to be an actual "rule," more a matter of "It's just a sneeze, I'm not getting the flu..."

I'm a multi-sneezer.
Old 15 January 2007, 04:51 PM

My supervisor sneezes all the time and when she sneezes it is alway 3 times or more. My first day at the library she sneezed and I started to say "bless you" but one of my coworkers said "wait - she always sneezes more than once!"
Old 15 January 2007, 04:55 PM

Theme Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret
Never to be told.
It finally came to me...that was in a Counting Crows song. Surely they are too deep and dark a band to be referring to sneezes?
Old 15 January 2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natiam View Post
Kind of OT but I always heard that when you sneeze you have one-tenth of an orgasm.
I seem to remember one of those animated sex-ed videos that, in trying to explain the concept of an orgasm to children, described it as being like a sneeze.

Last edited by 1958Fury; 15 January 2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 15 January 2007, 05:31 PM
lazerus the duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleupp View Post
It finally came to me...that was in a Counting Crows song. Surely they are too deep and dark a band to be referring to sneezes?
It's way older than a counting crows song, it does refer to magpies.

I've sneezed 37 times in a row through hayfever when I was 13. Someone else was counting as I woke up in hospital.
Old 15 January 2007, 06:02 PM

Spit Take Multi-Sneezer

Hi All:

I am definitely a "multi-sneezer" (i.e., never one without two or three). In my salad days, I could get all the pets running for cover with a sneezing attack

However, what really bothers me is the non-sneeze. You know you have to sneeze and can feel it coming, but for whatever reason it never seems to happen. You stand there like an idiot going through extreme facial contortions for ten or so seconds. But in the end, lunchbag letdown.

It's even worse on the telephone when you're so tied up in the facial contortions, you can't even tell other person what is happening.

BTW, how does a non-sneeze fit into the magpie counting poem?

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "clearing the tubes" ab Arthur
Old 15 January 2007, 11:30 PM

Ponder Sneezing when full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Galaxy View Post
I usually sneeze twice, but it's mostly due to dust or excessive sunlight. (Apparently in some people squinting can trigger the sneeze reflex.) I hardly sneeze when I have a full-on cold.
That, I have heard is relatively common. For me, I actually sneeze when I'm "full" (i.e. had too much to eat). Back in the dark ages of the internet (circa late 1990's) I actually found a web page that referred to my condition, but I have been unable to find a reference to it since. Needless to say, this gets me sneezing 5-10 times in a row.

-Le Chevalier Blanc
"Chivalry is not dead... it's just paralyzed from the neck up."
Old 15 January 2007, 11:58 PM

Up until a few years ago I was always a double-sneezer. They were so fast it was almost like two sneezes at the same time. I never thought about it being odd until one day in school when someone made a comment about it - then I suddenly became self-conscious about my sneezing. Somehow over the years I became a single-sneezer for the most part.

I have the common sneeze reflex when walking out into bright sunlight, but I've never sneezed due to a cold or other illness.
Old 16 January 2007, 12:14 AM
Doug4.7

Icon202

My kids tell me this about the sneeze #:

1 = someone is thinking nice of you
2 = someone is thinking bad of you
3+ = you just have a cold
Old 16 January 2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
I seem to remember one of those animated sex-ed videos that, in trying to explain the concept of an orgasm to children, described it as being like a sneeze.
They told us it was like the happiness you feel when you win a soccer game--don't know where that one came from!
Old 16 January 2007, 02:46 AM
Bramble Silvertree

Umm . . . Gotta go! I suddenly have the urge to buy a soccer ball!
Old 16 January 2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble Silvertree View Post
Umm . . . Gotta go! I suddenly have the urge to buy a soccer ball!
You can imagine how excited we were to find out we were playing soccer in gym that day...We were all convinced we were having orgasms!
Old 16 January 2007, 05:31 AM
Bramble Silvertree

Oooh! What happens if you sneeze 10 times while winning a soccer game??
Old 16 January 2007, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Squirrel View Post
They told us it was like the happiness you feel when you win a soccer game--don't know where that one came from!
I didn't play a lot of sports in high school... Now I feel like I missed out...

Anyway, the video I mentioned, I think this might be it.

Last edited by 1958Fury; 16 January 2007 at 05:50 AM. Reason: left out a word
Old 16 January 2007, 07:12 AM

Icon215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersten View Post
On a related note, anyone heard that how many times you sneeze in a row is "genetic"?
My SO usually sneezes twice (sometimes three times) - and so do her mother and her sister. I always assumed it to be genetic, but I will come back with additional information when our daughter will be born in June...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieuan ab Arthur View Post
However, what really bothers me is the non-sneeze. You know you have to sneeze and can feel it coming, but for whatever reason it never seems to happen. You stand there like an idiot going through extreme facial contortions for ten or so seconds. But in the end, lunchbag letdown.
Have you tried looking into the light? As has been said, direct sunlight (and, to a lesser degree, artificial light) in the eyes can trigger the sneeze reflex. It doesn't work "out of the blue" (like, when I'm not about to sneeze) for me, but is does in the situation you describe.

Don "Hatschi!" Enrico
Old 16 January 2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chevalier Blanc View Post
That, I have heard is relatively common. For me, I actually sneeze when I'm "full" (i.e. had too much to eat). Back in the dark ages of the internet (circa late 1990's) I actually found a web page that referred to my condition, but I have been unable to find a reference to it since. Needless to say, this gets me sneezing 5-10 times in a row.

-Le Chevalier Blanc
"Chivalry is not dead... it's just paralyzed from the neck up."
I thought I was the only one - I too sneeze several times after a heavy meal. Intrigued I poked about a bit - a google for gustatory rhinitis gives some info.
Old 16 January 2007, 12:55 PM

I always sneeze if I eat any strong mint sweets. Without fail.