snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 26 August 2007, 01:06 AM

Whalephant Best man: Assistant Bridenapper?

A friend asked a question about why weddings had a best man.

A quick search of the internet gave a consensus that the best man was either there to help hold a reluctant bride during wedding, or to beat off relatives who were unwilling to let the bride wed.

The pages cite a variety of traditions - anglo saxon, germanic, and so on, and there is enough variation to make my UL sense tingle.

Just Lisa
P.S. It has been ages since I've dropped by! Glad to see the Whalefant is still around.
Old 26 August 2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
A friend asked a question about why weddings had a best man.

A quick search of the internet gave a consensus that the best man was either there to help hold a reluctant bride during wedding, or to beat off relatives who were unwilling to let the bride wed.

The pages cite a variety of traditions - anglo saxon, germanic, and so on, and there is enough variation to make my UL sense tingle.

Just Lisa
P.S. It has been ages since I've dropped by! Glad to see the Whalefant is still around.
I don't remember who exactly did it, but at my aunt's wedding in Germany, she was "kidnapped", which really meant she was taken bar-hopping in full wedding regalia, and the groom got to go from bar to bar with her bouquet looking for her. Apparently this was the norm, at least in that area.
Old 26 August 2007, 02:32 AM

Royalty

My GM "told" me that the best man was actually the second choice.

Back in the days of dynastic marriages, the groom and his closest male relative( brother or cousin) stood up and if there was a problem with the groom then his second had to marry in his place.

How true this is/was I don't know
Old 26 August 2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
My GM "told" me that the best man was actually the second choice.

Back in the days of dynastic marriages, the groom and his closest male relative( brother or cousin) stood up and if there was a problem with the groom then his second had to marry in his place.
That was the tradition in Sweden, although it's not strictly enforced anymore. Nowadays, he's just a general helper who keeps track of things the groom is too nervous to keep track of.
Old 26 August 2007, 01:12 PM

Icon220

My Health textbook in high school included a version of this as a "fun fact." According to it, the function of the groomsmen was not to help kidnap the bride but to prevent other prospective grooms from kidnapping her.

The same book listed several ULs as fun facts, though, so I'm skeptical.
Old 27 August 2007, 12:46 AM

I have heard "handy with a broad sword" as a job description from a mate who was a medieval scholar. His idea was the "prevent an irate family interfering" theme. Maybe our medieval scholars can shed more light on this?

me