snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 11 March 2016, 05:07 PM

Default Grand jury does NOT indict man charged in killing teen

http://www.wltx.com/news/local/grand...-teen/76741027

I'm a little puzzled what the jury may have been thinking.

OY
Old 11 March 2016, 05:23 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. Other articles say that he used a Stand Your Ground defense, but from what I can tell (I'm not a lawyer), South Carolina's Protection of Persons and Property Act doesn't cover anything remotely like this. I'm not sure why this didn't go to trial.
Old 12 March 2016, 12:39 AM

Mouse

Yeah, I'm kind of curious as well. But maybe the defense managed to convince the jury that the victim was "no angel" and breathed in a manner than his killer could have reasonably found threatening.

I'm more thinking, whenever I heard cases like this, really shooting a gun in a neighborhood? I'm not saying there is never a moment where that's justified, but shouldn't you really exhaust every measure before pulling the trigger? I don't know if anyone's told the NRA, but bullets don't come with Detect Bad Guy settings and they can travel a surprising distance and wind up killing some poor shmoe, whose only crime was being in the flight path of a bullet from a gun fired by a trigger-happy moron.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but again, given all the risks involved, I feel you should only fire on a burglar if you are backed into a corner and have no other options.
Old 12 March 2016, 02:36 PM

I'm not sure but I don't think the defense is present in at a grand jury hearing. It seems like the grand jury decided on their own that this was a justified shooting. The prosecutor presented the evidence which may have been as follows: Victim shot in head. Methe admits he fired the shot. Methe's truck was broken into. There is a strong assumption the victim did that without Methe having to testify.

Jury hears this and says that despite what South Carolina law actually says, a person has the right to defend their property.