snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 02 December 2015, 03:22 AM

Icon605 The CEO Paying Everyone $70,000 Salaries Has Something to Hide

Inside the viral story of Gravity CEO Dan Price

Quote:
It seemed too good to be true. On April 13, with reporters from the New York Times and NBC News hovering nearby, Dan Price, the young chief executive officer of Gravity Payments, a Seattle-based credit card processing company, told his staff he was raising their minimum salary to $70,000 a year. Some employees would see their wages double. There was more: He planned to cut his own $1.1 million compensation to help cover the cost. The idea came to him, he’d later tell the media, after talking to a friend who earned less than he did. He’d read about a study showing that extra income improves the happiness of people who earn less than about $75,000. “It’s not about making money; it’s about making a difference,” Price told the Today Show, one of two dozen TV interviews he did in the days following the announcement.
The guys always seemed a bit squirrely to me, this interview doesn't make him seem any less so.
Old 02 December 2015, 03:48 AM

The popup, multicolor text looks squirrely to me. Ugh, I would not have expected an article layed out that way from Bloomberg.
Old 02 December 2015, 04:59 PM

Wow, I get that Bloomberg is a business-oriented site, but talk about burying the lede:

Quote:
Price’s life may get more complicated the week of Dec. 7, when TEDx plans to post online a public talk by his former wife, who changed her last name to Colón. She spoke on Oct. 28 at the University of Kentucky about the power of writing to overcome trauma. Colón stood on stage wearing cerulean blue and, without naming Price, read from a journal entry she says she wrote in May 2006 about her then-husband. “He got mad at me for ignoring him and grabbed me and shook me again,” she read. “He also threw me to the ground and got on top of me. He started punching me in the stomach and slapped me across the face. I was shaking so bad.” Later in the talk, Colón recalled once locking herself in a car, “afraid he was going to body-slam me into the ground again or waterboard me in our upstairs bathroom like he had done before.”
Old 20 June 2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Inside the viral story of Gravity CEO Dan Price

The guys always seemed a bit squirrely to me, this interview doesn't make him seem any less so.
It's like how Richard Branson says to keep the employees happy and they will keep the clients happy.