snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 October 2017, 11:59 AM

I'm not VERY close to being done with my long semester project, but I've made some good strides over the weekend, and have decided that if I can get the work I allotted for today and tomorrow done tonight after I come home, I can take tomorrow to relax and enjoy the rainy day we are predicted to have.

Worst case I just have a little done early and then tomorrow if I still feel guilty abuot relaxing, I will just be getting more work done, which isn't horrible.
Old 23 October 2017, 03:18 PM

Glasses

My hip is responding well to the ibuprofen. I think I'm going to be able to get this to go away without a cortisone shot.

Seaboe
Old 27 October 2017, 06:16 AM

Judge

LTTMMH: the Australian high court just ruled that several Australian politicians had been ineligible when they were elected and has booted them out, including the nasty conservative Barnaby Joyce and the infuriatingly smug global-warming-denialist, anti-Muslim, anti-same-sex-marriage conspiracy-theory-loving Malcolm Roberts.

I'm especially happy to see Roberts go, he's a revolting human being.

ETA: if you've seen that video of Professor Brian Cox arguing against an Australian politician about global warming, that guy was Malcolm Roberts.
Old 27 October 2017, 03:05 PM

Glasses

It's Friday.

Seaboe
Old 27 October 2017, 10:03 PM

Getting under warm blankets on a cold day.
Old 28 October 2017, 04:36 AM

It was in the 60's (F) and sunny for the last farmers' market of my season. Not something that can be counted on around here this time of year; a just-above-freezing rain would have been at least as likely.

And there was some excellent music.
Old 30 October 2017, 01:03 PM

I took my daughter to the Free Comic Day in our town on Saturday. It made me happy that the owner recognizes us (well, my daughter, as she is usually there with my wife.) I told my daughter she could pick out a free comic, and she said she didn't want to since she can't read yet. So, the owner showed her a comic that had the DC female superheroes (and some villains) as teenagers, with dinosaurs. SO, we had to get that one as my daughter loves all things dino.

After I read the comic to my daughter, she ran off, stripped down, and dressed as a superhero (cape, skirt, and a tiara.) She then had me give her big superhero missions, like moving things, and carrying things, and running SUPER fast. It was so great seeing her get that girls can be superheroes, and SHE is now a superhero.
Old 30 October 2017, 01:37 PM

Reading

Went to a book sale a county library was having; got a bagful of books for the grand total of $5.
Old 02 November 2017, 09:08 PM

The website Curbside Classic used the pictures I posted to their Flickr group last week in this article.
Old 03 November 2017, 05:50 AM

My neighbor is a retired composer, and they're holding a concert in honor of her 90th birthday with a selection of her music. She'll be playing a couple of them herself. She seems spry for her age. I would have guessed she was in her 70s.
Old 07 November 2017, 02:51 AM

My favorite pizza place in town finally reopened last week, after being closed for remodel since April.
Old 07 November 2017, 03:07 AM

A mother carrying her bay and the baby was making those voice testing noises - not crying or trying to talk or wanting anything just "aaa" "aaaa". I love that sound.
Old 10 November 2017, 03:37 AM

My new car has long range remote start so I can start it from my bedroom despite my apartment complex having a gigantic parking lot. This will be amazing come January when it's -20C.
Old 10 November 2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
It's Friday.
It's still Friday! (Or it's Friday again, or something. How does time work again?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
A mother carrying her bay and the baby was making those voice testing noises - not crying or trying to talk or wanting anything just "aaa" "aaaa". I love that sound.
I had a soft toy dog as a child that was called "A-A". (I'm not sure of the hyphenation. I never thought to write it down. It might just be "A A". They're short A's, though.) I think it must have been the first soft toy I owned and named... certainly at the point I can remember it, it was by far the most chewed. I think it started off pink and somewhat fluffy, but in my memory it's grey and threadbare, with its stuffing coming out.
Old 10 November 2017, 03:16 PM

Glasses

It's Friday again, and this time I have my tickets to the Garth Brooks concert in hand (well, tucked into the super sekrit pocket of my jacket). They're for the right show and the right seats (apparently, there is some hysteria about the tickets a) not being sent out early, 2) not being for the right show and/or iii) the right seats. IME, if there's something wrong with 2 & 3, it's almost certainly the purchaser's fault).

Seaboe
Old 12 November 2017, 02:33 AM

We took Bo to the vet today for the first time in the three or so years we've had him. I don't know if he'd ever been before in his life.
He went into the crate very pleasantly, and only started howling and crying in the car. He had a rough time at the vet during the examination but wasn't overly aggressive or upset. He cried again on the ride home. I was certain that when we let him out of the crate in the house he would skulk away and not want to cuddle anymore.

Well, I opened the crate door and he took a few moments before coming out. Then he poked his head back into the crate, then came over to me, rubbed my legs, rubbed a few other nearby objects including the carry crate, and then went over to his food bowl for a bite to eat. Then spent the entire rest of the afternoon as if nothing had happened.

I wonder if cats can feel emotional relief. I think every time he's ever been in a car before it's been to go to someplace new and stay there "forever" until he moved somewhere else- previous owner to shelter, shelter to us, etc. I think he was pleasantly surprised to come home again. I have NEVER had a cat be so happy and relaxed after going to the vet, especially when they had something actually painful they needed to get looked at! He is truly a unique and amazing little guy.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:08 PM

I've found a great way to get Pearl to take her meds: for capsule-shaped pills, break them in half and use a Pill Pocket (or whatever works). For a capsule, snip off the top and pour the medicine into a Pill Pocket, crimp the top and feed. Kind of hard to spit out powder!
Old 14 November 2017, 03:06 PM

Glasses

Ferdinand loves his pill pockets (he thinks they're treats), although if he gets a single flavor for too long he has to be coaxed to eat it. On the other hand, even when he needs to be coaxed, he does know he doesn't get breakfast (or dinner) until he eats the pill pocket.

Ferdinand is always a little thing (18 lbs) that makes me happy.

Seaboe
Old 15 November 2017, 02:53 AM

Teacher

The results of Australia's official same sex marriage postal survey were announced today and the 'yes' camp won! They got 61.6% of the 'votes', my Facebook feed is overflowing with rainbows.
Old 15 November 2017, 06:20 AM

Australia

Yay Australia!