snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 14 October 2013, 07:13 PM

Read This! Stop fact-checking the movies

Can we simply enjoy movies without having to fact-check every little thing?

Apparently not, because so many people feel compelled to show us how clever they are by attempting to point out factual errors depicted in film after film.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/14/opinio...ies/index.html
Old 14 October 2013, 07:17 PM

Can people stop tellign other people how to enjoy the movies?

Some people go enjoy the movies because it gives them an opportunity to escape everyday life. Some people .enjoy the movies by nitpicking it with their friends/online. Some people watch the same movie multiple times so they can do both

Stop telling us how to enjoy a movie
Old 14 October 2013, 07:21 PM

If your nitpicking is spoiling someone else's enjoyment though I think it's perfectly in order to ask them to knock it off. Go hang out with a group of likeminded nitpickers either in person or online but don't intrude your need to nitpick into every conversation when you know perfectly well the others involved don't want you to. You're either being a show off or you're being a jerk - neither is an admirable thing to be.
Old 14 October 2013, 07:26 PM

From the article:
Quote:
And here's the biggest thing for people like deGrasse Tyson to keep in mind: it's science fiction, for God's sake! You would think the "fiction" part of "science fiction" is something that an astrophysicist could comprehend.
Um, wrong. Blatant bad science jerks a SF fan right out of a story like Gravity. I was disappointed in Gravity because it had been talked up as an intelligent SF movie. What it was (IMO) was an action film set in space.
Old 14 October 2013, 07:32 PM

And then there are 'historical fictions' that introduce 'facts' that are not true, and then people start repeating those things as true because the movie was 'historical.' Movies such as that really need to be fact-checked to prevent errant memes from getting established.
Old 14 October 2013, 07:38 PM

You would think the "science" part of "science fiction" would be something a scriptwriter would comprehend. Apparently that's a silly idea, though...

And the "history" part of "historical fiction," too, as A Turtle Named Mack says. There's only so many times you can say "it's only a story, of course you shouldn't believe anything in it" before it gets silly. Where do you stop? It's silly for me to think there's such a place as New York because I've only ever read about it or seen it in films, and nothing you read or see in films is true? Of course people assume, by default, that at least the basic background in a historical film is historical.

(eta)

Quote:
I can just hear him whispering things such as: "The Death Star is too big to fly at that rate of speed,"
"Rate of speed"? Probably not...
Old 14 October 2013, 07:44 PM

Throw Tomato

deGrasse Tyson sent out a number of tweets on October 6th gently ribbing the scientific inaccuracies of Gravity. However, he also said the following that day:
Quote:
My Tweets hardly ever convey opinion. Mostly perspectives on the world. But if you must know, I enjoyed #Gravity very much.
Brian
Old 14 October 2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If your nitpicking is spoiling someone else's enjoyment though I think it's perfectly in order to ask them to knock it off. Go hang out with a group of likeminded nitpickers either in person or online but don't intrude your need to nitpick into every conversation when you know perfectly well the others involved don't want you to. You're either being a show off or you're being a jerk - neither is an admirable thing to be.
The article wasn't targeting people butting into conversations, it was claiming that nitpicking in general is ruining peoples' enjoyment of movies and shouldn't be done in any context.

(That's not to say that your point wasn't valid - intruding an unwelcome opinion into a conversation when you know the other people wouldn't want you to is impolite in general, even when it's not about film facts.)
Old 14 October 2013, 07:58 PM

I liked Phil Plait's review of Gravity, where he went into the scientific nitpicks (acknowledging that there wouldn't be much of a movie at all without the inaccuracies), while still saying that it was a fantastic movie and (IHO) totally worth seeing. He pointed out what the movie got right while using the things it got wrong as a springboard to teach, not to trash (note: I haven't actually seen Gravity myself, but the feedback from various scientists and people who have actually been to space is enough that I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen).

Sometimes, for some people, the inaccuracy is too much and gets in the way of enjoyment. Sometimes it actually opens things up for some interesting side research. I love it when an inaccuracy in a movie leads to me to learn something new.
Old 14 October 2013, 08:08 PM

Ponder

I'm somewhere in the middle on this, I guess. I will sometimes nitpick about things I know are wrong and/or illogical. I'm usually willing to let the non-essential stuff slide. Sometimes it depends on whether or not I liked the movie...

I remember a friend telling me that someone had pointed out that some of the plants seen in the gardens in "Restoration" were unknown in England during the Restoration. Oddly, that didn't affect my enjoyment of the film.
Old 14 October 2013, 08:19 PM

That reminds me of the commentary in the first Lord of the Rings movie where they were talking about how people were upset that the hobbits were cooking with tomatoes. It seems that we're willing to accept hobbits, elves and dragons in a fantasy version of Great Britain, but not new world foods.

I think that part of the problem is that some people assume nitpicking always has to be a negative thing. It's possible to point out a flaw in a movie or book (especially if it's something interesting to learn) without saying it ruins the material for you. You can enjoy a movie and learn something new about the science it's based on or the historical figure/event it's referencing.
Old 14 October 2013, 08:26 PM

Never mind the tomatoes, what about the po-tat-oes?

I think everybody has a different idea about what a nitpick or an inaccuracy is, and how noticeable it is to them, and how much it affects their enjoyment.

Imagine watching a film with a dog in it, and it's a perfectly ordinary dog in an ordinary household and it's not the focus of the plot, but every time the dog opens its mouth it says "meow", and everybody treats that as normal, and the critics don't mention it, and the writers and actors don't seem to be aware of any sort of point that was being made. Wouldn't it affect the way you saw the film? Wouldn't you think it worth mentioning?

(eta) What about the rabbit, for that matter? Rabbits were introduced to Great Britain by the Normans, who arrived after the early-to-mid Medieval Anglo-Saxon / Danish period that The Lord Of The Rings is "based on" according to pedants.

Last edited by Richard W; 14 October 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 14 October 2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
That reminds me of the commentary in the first Lord of the Rings movie where they were talking about how people were upset that the hobbits were cooking with tomatoes. It seems that we're willing to accept hobbits, elves and dragons in a fantasy version of Great Britain, but not new world foods.
And what was pipeweed if not tobacco!? (I know it could be marijuana, but that really seems more out of place for these characters than just accepting anomalies compared to the presumed setting).
Old 14 October 2013, 08:42 PM

As Tyson stated, part of the reason I noted some of the errors in Gravity (which I did quite enjoy) is because it's in many ways a very authentic-feeling film. Similar errors in a Star Wars film would hardly be worth noting.

As for historical films, I do mind when they have a big influence on how people see history, particularly recent history - Stone's JFK being the most obvious offender.
Old 14 October 2013, 08:44 PM

I purposely avoid going to the movies with certain people who find it enjoyable to tear it apart and make me feel silly/dumb for liking it. I go to the movies for escapism, not for an education. I'm not stupid for what I like. I avoid watching movies likely to drive me crazy because I know too much about the topic (although I did enjoy Hysteria anyway).

In fact, since this has become an annoying past time of many of my friends, I tend to go to the movies alone. I'm happy enough doing that, actually.
Old 14 October 2013, 08:49 PM

Tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, pumpkin and corn come readily to mind as new world foods in Lord of the Rings.
Old 14 October 2013, 08:51 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
That's sort of an issue with creating a fictional universe vs. creating an alternate version of a real universe. In the latter case, people still expect the known aspects of the real universe to apply.
Old 14 October 2013, 09:35 PM

Even as a person who loves history I am not bothered about historically inaccurate historical films. BBC History Magazine had a series about historical films in which each month they compared three films on the same historical subject. Amongst other things they rated each film on historical accuracy, but very often the best film, the magazine thought, was the least historically accurate. It may be a cliche, but it is true - what makes good history does not necessarily make a good film.

What worries me about historically inaccurate films is when people believe them - yes, I'm looking at you (some) Scottish people with Braveheart.
Old 14 October 2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
And here's the biggest thing for people like deGrasse Tyson to keep in mind: it's science fiction, for God's sake! You would think the "fiction" part of "science fiction" is something that an astrophysicist could comprehend.
As I just said in the "Movies you've seen" thread, this is a stupid argument.

If you're watching a rom-com and apropos of nothing a character just flew into the air breaking the law of physics you wouldn't go "Oh don't worry about it! It's fiction, not a documentary! Stop nitpicking and ruining it for the rest of us!"

But because so many people are ignorant of so many basic facts of science, especially physics, chemistry and so forth, it seems that's the argument that gets made when people nitpick sci-fi or fantasy movies.

It seems "Stop nitpicking" often means "Stop bringing up facts that I'm ignorant of."
Old 14 October 2013, 09:53 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post

(eta) What about the rabbit, for that matter? Rabbits were introduced to Great Britain by the Normans, who arrived after the early-to-mid Medieval Anglo-Saxon / Danish period that The Lord Of The Rings is "based on" according to pedants.
Speaking of nitpicking... it now seems accepted that it was the Romans.