snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 28 August 2013, 10:35 PM

Cheer 25 Things That Make You Happier

Humans have remarkable control over their own happiness.

In her book, "The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want," psychology professor Sonja Lyubomirsky says a person's happiness is 50% due to genetics, 10% due to circumstances, and the remaining 40% is "within our power to change."

But it takes work.

http://www.businessinsider.com/scien...er-2013-8?op=1
Old 28 August 2013, 10:52 PM

Wow. Just wow. Evidence based happiness. That was so much nicer than the treacle-esque quotes one sees spread around. I like the ones about dirt and gardening because I've been a bit mystified as to why I love my garden so much.
Old 28 August 2013, 10:56 PM

Can't help but notice the huge outlier in those suggestions: "Move to Australia."

Sure, I'll get right on that.
Old 28 August 2013, 11:17 PM

Ponder

Yes, way better than some glurge gunk and an interesting explanation on the healing powers of gardening.
Old 28 August 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Can't help but notice the huge outlier in those suggestions: "Move to Australia."

Sure, I'll get right on that.
Like we would even want you all . One of the things that make us happy as Australian is the rest of the world is all that distance away.

It also contradicts living in a cool climate.
Old 28 August 2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
Wow. Just wow. Evidence based happiness. That was so much nicer than the treacle-esque quotes one sees spread around. I like the ones about dirt and gardening because I've been a bit mystified as to why I love my garden so much.
Dad has set up a few pots on my veranda with herbs and some vegetables. I make me happy to look after them and see how they are growing.
Old 28 August 2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Happiness is maximized at 13.9C (about 57 F), says Oska University's Yoshiro Tsutsui,who described the effect of temperature on mood in a paper published in the journal Weather, Climate, and Society.

"The effects of other meteorological variables — humidity, wind speed, precipitation, and sunshine — are not significant," Tsutsui wrote.

That makes sense when one considers that cooler locations like Norway, Sweden, and Denmark often top lists of the world's happiest countries.
False correlation. According to the link provided, climate does not factor into the countries' happiness rankings. Also, seasonal affective disorder is a legitimate condition. Based solely on anecdotal observations, I'm crying false on the claim that sunshine and precipitation do not significantly impact peoples' moods.
Old 29 August 2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
a person's happiness is 50% due to genetics, 10% due to circumstances, and the remaining 40% is "within our power to change."
This seems too neat. Are circumstances never within our power to change? In fact, aren't genetics somewhat subject to environmental influences (in that certain stimuli can turn genes on or off), and therefore, to some extent, also within our power to change?
Quote:
so-called "realistic optimists" have the perfect blend of personality types to succeed
This sounds like something farther down the spectrum of things you can't change.
Quote:
Low levels of serotonin is what causes depression in people.
Actually, I don't think the experts are certain about that. We know that most antidepressants inhibit reuptake of serotonin, and some studies indicate they work (though other studies indicate they don't), but that's the only evidence we have that low serotonin is behind depression.
Quote:
Become a florist or a gardener. Maybe it has something to do with those magical soil microbes, but florists and gardeners are the happiest with their careers,
Or maybe it's that happy people are more likely to become florists and gardeners?
Quote:
people who had one partner were happier than people who had several partners throughout the year.
Or maybe people who find one good partner are more likely to be monogamous, whereas people who are still searching for someone they really click with sexually are more likely to have multiple partners, and it's the lack of sexual satisfaction that makes them unhappy.
Quote:
workers were happiest about their work when they ate lunch on the beach
And yet people are happiest when it's 57 degrees? How do you square that circle?
Quote:
Australia was ranked in 2013 as the world's happiest country
I had no idea Australia was so chilly.
Quote:
Maintain a position of power.
Probably true. I'll get right on it.
Old 29 August 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Probably true. I'll get right on it.
Ok, keep us updated.
Old 29 August 2013, 12:38 AM

oh and also

Quote:
Play with puppies.
PUPPIES, yay puppies.

Even better garden with puppies.
Old 29 August 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
"Outer order contributes to inner calm," she says. And regaining a sense a control, especially when one feels overwhelmed, cheers people up.
Definitely true for me. We've just moved and things are still in disarray; which makes me anxious. Having things in their proper places calms me.

Quote:
workers were happiest about their work when they ate lunch on the beach
And yet people are happiest when it's 57 degrees? How do you square that circle?
Very few things make me as happy as being on the beach when it's sunny, but cool enough for a sweater/jacket.
Old 29 August 2013, 01:06 AM

I'm not a happy person. My affection for gardening took me by surprise. Of course, I spend a lot of time daydreaming about garden improvements when I'm doing other things so that contradicts the one about living in the moment.
Old 29 August 2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
By being me.
Old 29 August 2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Even better garden with puppies.
It is difficult to set out lettuce transplants with the aid of a kitten.

(It is nevertheless true that both the kitten, and the fact that the lettuce is transplanted, increase my happiness.)
Old 29 August 2013, 02:00 AM

Kittens make so many things harder, and yet infinitely better.

Speaking of which, only somewhat hijackably [because it may increase your happiness if you watch it], here is a video of a snow leopard cub.
Old 29 August 2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
False correlation. According to the link provided, climate does not factor into the countries' happiness rankings. Also, seasonal affective disorder is a legitimate condition. Based solely on anecdotal observations, I'm crying false on the claim that sunshine and precipitation do not significantly impact peoples' moods.
I fell into a deep blue funk the other day when I realized fall is in fact coming soon, which means winter is not far away.
Old 29 August 2013, 05:43 AM

I'm not a very neat or ordered/organized person. I'm one of those who organizes in piles yet generally knows where everything is. But I make my bed every morning. I love walking into the bedroom and finding it nice and tidy. It's a little sea of calm in a chaotic day. And it keeps the covers from getting too far askew after a few days.

Gibbie