snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 28 March 2018, 05:17 PM

Icon18 Pilots report close encounters with UFO over Arizona: 'Something just passed over us'

Two pilots on different aircraft reported having close encounters with a mysterious object flying high above Arizona last month, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/pilots-repo...ry?id=54067123
Old 29 March 2018, 06:51 PM

I mean, it is true in the literal sense. They saw something the couldn't identify, and it was an object that was flying.
Old 30 March 2018, 12:42 PM

Military plane, Space Station, etc.

OY
Old 30 March 2018, 12:42 PM

Swamps gas, weather balloon
Old 30 March 2018, 05:18 PM

Can the military (or the CIA) turn off their transponder in flight over the US? Is it illegal to turn off a transponder?
Old 30 March 2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Can the military (or the CIA) turn off their transponder in flight over the US? Is it illegal to turn off a transponder?
Virtually all aircraft have the capability of turning off the transponder, either from a front panel switch or pulling a circuit breaker (or pulling a fuse).

If the aircraft is flying in airspace where a transponder is required, it would be in violation to operate the aircraft in that airspace without a functioning transponder. That would suggest illegal to turn off the transponder. With that said, government owned/operated aircraft may have operating arrangements where they would turn off a transponder. One such operation might be intercept of other aircraft and by using the transponder, there could be an alert on the TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system) of the intercepted aircraft.

ATC can waive the requirement and obviously has to, if the aircraft has a major power failure and none of the avionics are working.

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 30 March 2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: adding fuse and TCAS.
Old 31 March 2018, 11:25 AM

So, what, not even a slight possibility it's a monitor craft from the Inner Earth peoples? Space Nazi scoutship? Alien teens pranking the primitives? An atmospheric life form trying to reach calmer skies?

You know, it's possible to be just too darned skeptical, people.
Old 31 March 2018, 12:58 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
Military plane, Space Station, etc.

OY
I was thinking new type of military plane. There's Luke AFB in Phoenix, after all. There's Davis-Monthan AFB here but what with all the Boneyard tours I doubt they'd be here.
Old 31 March 2018, 01:41 PM

Are we sure Mad Mike didn't launch a second rocket that we haven't heard about yet?

~Psihala

Last edited by Psihala; 31 March 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01 April 2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I was thinking new type of military plane. There's Luke AFB in Phoenix, after all. There's Davis-Monthan AFB here but what with all the Boneyard tours I doubt they'd be here.
That reminds me of an anecdote I heard once. I think someone shared it here a long time ago, actually. In the early 1980s someone was hiking somewhere in the southwestern US and saw a completely alien looking aircraft fly overhead. It didn't look like any plane he'd seen before. For years this person claimed they's seen a UFO, until years later when the Stealth program was declassified. Then they realized that was in fact what they had seen.
Old 01 April 2018, 06:41 AM

I've heard similar anecdotes, and also the possibility that the government deliberately spread a few rumors of alien sightings during the Cold War to cover up top secret experimental aircraft programs, like the U-2, SR-71, and F-117.
Old 01 April 2018, 09:06 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I've heard similar anecdotes, and also the possibility that the government deliberately spread a few rumors of alien sightings during the Cold War to cover up top secret experimental aircraft programs, like the U-2, SR-71, and F-117.
Phoenix does have the still unexplained Phoenix Lights, after all. I still think those were military aircraft.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights