snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04 April 2018, 02:10 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 21,451
Mister Ed Detroit Zoo is giving away free buckets of poop

The Detroit Zoo is luring visitors with the temptation of a free bucket of animal poop.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ung/481179002/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04 April 2018, 04:29 PM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,688
Default

My high school biology teacher used to swear by the merits of "zoo doo" obtained from the local zoo - in his case, he got buckets of predator feces to mix with water and spread around the perimeter of his garden to repel deer and other foragers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04 April 2018, 05:00 PM
Aud 1 Aud 1 is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,161
Default

We got a rabbit last fall and my composter is now completely filled with bunny poop. I hear it is supposed to be amazing for gardens.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04 April 2018, 05:47 PM
overyonder overyonder is offline
 
Join Date: 03 March 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,120
Default

Reminder to not use manure from flesh-eating animals in your vegetable garden.

OY
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04 April 2018, 05:57 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
My high school biology teacher used to swear by the merits of "zoo doo" obtained from the local zoo - in his case, he got buckets of predator feces to mix with water and spread around the perimeter of his garden to repel deer and other foragers.
That will work for a while, but eventually the deer learn that there isn't actually a large carnivore there and will go back to eating the garden.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04 April 2018, 06:18 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,369
Default

And that's when you "borrow" the actual predator from the zoo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04 April 2018, 06:25 PM
Alarm's Avatar
Alarm Alarm is offline
 
Join Date: 26 May 2011
Location: Nepean, ON
Posts: 5,756
Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
And that's when you "borrow" the actual predator from the zoo.
Can't you just make a robot one?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04 April 2018, 06:59 PM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That will work for a while, but eventually the deer learn that there isn't actually a large carnivore there and will go back to eating the garden.
I also wondered at the time if tiger poop was necessarily an effective deterrent for North American species. I imagine that there's a general "carnivorous" odor to it, but I would think that coyote, etc. (something we have as a native species) would be more effective.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04 April 2018, 07:10 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,369
Blow Your Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Can't you just make a robot one?
I've seen enough movies to know that any plan whose result is "robot predator" is probably not going to turn out well. And since the first victim is usually the creator, defiantly not well for me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04 April 2018, 07:49 PM
Alarm's Avatar
Alarm Alarm is offline
 
Join Date: 26 May 2011
Location: Nepean, ON
Posts: 5,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I've seen enough movies to know that any plan whose result is "robot predator" is probably not going to turn out well. And since the first victim is usually the creator, defiantly not well for me.
Oh come on, it can't be that bad....
What have you got to lose?



Besides, robots don't poop, so you get the benefit of a pseudo predator's presence, without the smell of spreading it's poop in your yard!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04 April 2018, 08:35 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 6,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I also wondered at the time if tiger poop was necessarily an effective deterrent for North American species. I imagine that there's a general "carnivorous" odor to it, but I would think that coyote, etc. (something we have as a native species) would be more effective.
I would think the poop of a carnivore is quite distinctive, certainly distinct from a herbivore. Completely different food in, completely different poop out. Detecting the poop of a generic carnivore would be a much more likely inheritable trait than detecting the poop from a particular carnivore, even if local, like a wolf.

On the other hand, if a particular deer had first hand knowledge of wolfs then that odor would probably be long remembered. (But not inheritable.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04 April 2018, 09:15 PM
Tootsie Plunkette's Avatar
Tootsie Plunkette Tootsie Plunkette is offline
 
Join Date: 26 October 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,096
Mister Ed

Woodland Park's "Zoo Doo" is so popular they have a lottery (or at least have done in the past) to determine who gets a bag. I believe it's not just raw poop, but is composted.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04 April 2018, 11:51 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I would think the poop of a carnivore is quite distinctive, certainly distinct from a herbivore. Completely different food in, completely different poop out. Detecting the poop of a generic carnivore would be a much more likely inheritable trait than detecting the poop from a particular carnivore, even if local, like a wolf.

On the other hand, if a particular deer had first hand knowledge of wolfs then that odor would probably be long remembered. (But not inheritable.)
Pretty much this. The odor of digested meat is sufficiently similar to produce the same response whether it's big cat or wolf feces. Though as deer aren't used to being preyed upon by large reptiles I suppose a Komodo dragon's poop wouldn't produce such a deterrent response.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05 April 2018, 02:19 AM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9,589
Default

I would think that using scent of a carnivore prevalent in the area might attract other members of that carnivore species.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05 April 2018, 03:52 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,820
Default

Unless you live in Montana or rural Idaho, wolves aren't too likely to be around to be attracted. And mountain lions are pretty solitary.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05 April 2018, 01:27 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,505
Default

I'd avoid using coyote poop.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05 April 2018, 03:46 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Unless you live in Montana or rural Idaho, wolves aren't too likely to be around to be attracted. And mountain lions are pretty solitary.
Coyote, however, are all over the place; at least, if the place is most of North America.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05 April 2018, 04:00 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,505
Default

And around here, foxes have been observed to be hanging out closer to homes/humans, to avoid the coyotes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05 April 2018, 05:36 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Coyote, however, are all over the place; at least, if the place is most of North America.
Wolf poop will definitely keep coyotes away. Though being a lot smarter than deer they'll probably become habituated to it faster.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05 April 2018, 05:52 PM
Dr. Winston O'Boogie's Avatar
Dr. Winston O'Boogie Dr. Winston O'Boogie is offline
 
Join Date: 23 February 2000
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Posts: 5,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
Woodland Park's "Zoo Doo" is so popular they have a lottery (or at least have done in the past) to determine who gets a bag. I believe it's not just raw poop, but is composted.
If the lottery is audited, would that be a Zoo Doo Review?

Sorry for the pun, I'll get it:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alleged shoplifters say they heard ‘free holiday’ instead of ‘tax free’ A Turtle Named Mack Police Blotter 2 05 August 2015 06:40 PM
How Detroit went broke Beachlife! Business Bytes 6 20 September 2013 01:55 AM
Detroit Slums Jenn Fauxtography 25 27 August 2009 03:28 AM
Giving 103% jw Glurge Gallery 4 07 May 2008 08:07 PM
Legendary Detroit snopes Urban Legends 0 15 November 2007 06:56 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.