snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 July 2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I've come to think of the Ant-Man movies as feature-length breather episodes. If you look at both of them, it's kind of obvious. After putting us through some heavy stuff in Age of Ultron and some really heavy stuff in Infinity Wars, Marvel gives us a break by giving us a movie where the stakes aren't quite as heavy and it's just fun.

The second one is better in that, well, the second movie of superhero series tends to be better, because they've gotten the introduction out of the way and can just skip to the ass-kicking.
Oh, the Ant-Man films were obvious breathers, that's up front.

And I agree with you that the second movie in a superhero series tends to be better than the first (the two exceptions I can think of are Iron Man 2 and Thor: Dark World, both of which suffered from heavy pacing issues). It's just that the way the two Ant-Man films were done, it just doesn't quite feel like they're part of the larger MCU.
Old 13 July 2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I rather liked the fact that the main "villain" in this one wasn't really a villain, either. Admittedly, at certain points I wanted to slap them and say "You could be working together on this, you know!" But I suppose the reasons for distrust on both sides were reasonably valid.
In order for that to work, Hank Pym would have had to not be Hank Pym.

Well, at least in the MCU, Hank and Janet seemed to have had a healthy relationship. The comic book versions of the two had a brutally dysfunctional one, starting with Janet manipulating Hank into marrying her and winding up with The Slap when Hank hit her in the face*. And then there was the Ultimate Universe version where Hank was simply a violent abuser and Janet was his self-loathing victim.

*Interestingly, The Slap was originally intended to be accidental, with Janet walking up behind him while he was gesturing wildly, resulting in him accidentally striking her because he didn't know she was there. There was a mix up with the artist, and he instead drew Hank deliberately striking Janet, which was how it ended up getting treated from then on.
Old 13 July 2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
You can even get away with a contradiction if it's noticed in-universe as something that somehow shouldn't be possible.
I did enjoy Spider-Man observing about Captain America's shield, "That thing does not obey the laws of physics!"
Old 16 July 2018, 01:36 AM

Mouse

Yep, this movie would have been resolved a lot faster were it not for the fact that Hank Pym is a dick. Though dickish dads are kind of the norm in the MCU. Between Howard Stark, Brian Banner, Harold Barton, Odin, and Hank Pym, the Avengers could easily be called the My Dadís a Dick Club. If we expand outward to the Guardians of the Galaxy, we can add Ego and Thanos to all this. I suppose Team Daddy Issues is a shorter, more accurate name, I still like My Dadís a Dick Club, because I like calling them dicks. Is Marvel owned and operated by people with daddy issues?
Old 16 July 2018, 05:36 AM

I thought Disney had mommy issues.
Old 16 July 2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I thought Disney had mommy issues.
Disney has parent issues. Marvel is the Daddy Issues Division...
Old 18 July 2018, 02:05 PM

Saw The Quiet Place. I'm going to assume that this is a movie that really needs to be seen in a theater, because watching it at home is not good. It is basically one giant plot hole, and you have plenty of time to catch all the problems with it while watching at home.

It was well acted for the most part, and well directed. There are definitely some tense moments, and if you could lose yourself in the movie I could see it being scary.
Old 18 July 2018, 03:13 PM

I ended up watching Coco on Netflix.

I can see why this didn't receive as much buzz as Disney's last few movies. It was okay, but no better than okay.

Also, they spent too much time with the main character justifying his wanting to be a musician because of his ancestor. It's treated like that's the only reason it's an acceptable goal for him.