snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 14 July 2018, 07:12 PM

I think mbravo was implying that after running and sweating like that, he'd have nasty, swampy feet and socks capable of walking themselves to the laundry room.
Old 14 July 2018, 09:07 PM

Yeah I just meant that kind of tongue in cheek like one extra layer of unpleasantness. I was picturing the scene from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles where John Candy takes his shoes off in the car

I'm all for working to get/stay physically fit but it doesn't give you a pass on being considerate to others.
Old 14 July 2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Any "summertime recipe" that starts out with preheat oven to.... is not a summertime recipe unless you live in the South Pole!
I understand what you mean, but I'm guessing in this case they mean it uses ingredients that are in season during the summer.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:56 AM

Whalephant

The CVS clerk does not want to hear your life story. The people in line behind you don't want to wait while you tell it.
Old 16 July 2018, 05:08 PM

France

I'm not sure this is in the usual vein for this thread, but still...

So, some activist in France tweeted, after their victory in the World Cup, something to the effect that 50% of the team members are African, and 80% are Muslim, so if France is all proud of winning the Cup they ought to stop being so xenophobic and anti-Muslim. I haven't verified the actual stats cited, but it's a good point.

One of the responses, however, was from someone saying: "That's impossible! 50% plus 80% would be 130% - that doesn't make sense!"

Um. I don't think it should be necessary to tell people that being African and Muslim are not mutually exclusive...
Old 16 July 2018, 06:19 PM

Yeah, that's a classic Muslim = Arab/Middle Eastern problem.
Old 16 July 2018, 07:01 PM

"Life isn't fair" isn't a bold moral stance. It's about the furthest thing from a bold stance as you can possibly get. It's nothing but an excuse to do nothing (in this case, casting a F2M transgender actor to play a transgender man in a movie instead of Scarlett Johansson, who's since chosen not to take the part precisely over the backlash).
Old 16 July 2018, 07:16 PM

21 of 23 players are French born how do they get 50% African?
Old 16 July 2018, 07:21 PM

I guess they are hung up on the phrasing- usually when you list percentages, it's expected that they'd add up to 100% (or possibly less)- but thinking about it for more than 3 seconds should reveal why it's logical. Good grief, our species.
Old 16 July 2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
21 of 23 players are French born how do they get 50% African?
I'm assuming the meaning was "African-French" (used in the same sense as "African-American") -- or in other words, black.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:50 PM

TYSHTTP: The fact that Angela Merkel is from the former East Germany and speaks fluent Russian is not, and and of itself, evidence that she is up to something nefarious or that Germany is America's enemy (I suspect the person who said it was grasping at straws to find something to support the idea that the EU is America's "foe").
Old 17 July 2018, 06:10 PM

Icon204

To McLean VA residents: Cry me a river. What you're describing is going on throughout the whole area if not the country. Maddening? Yes, but your area is not special. I don't care if it is the high-rent area of Fairfax County, you're not special! https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/07/...osure/slide/1/

On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how long people will continue to use apps like Waze, considering that everyone and his dog now know about all the 'secret' ways. I don't use it myself for that very reason.
Old 18 July 2018, 11:30 AM

Icon02

Next door neighbor G, I know you like, no make that adore, the weedy mess that is the shared corner of my yard, but if I think that all that crud needs to come down, then it's coming down. It should benefit you as well, since you'll be putting your house on the rental market later on this year. Maybe you're right and potential renters won't care about all that, but you may want to check with a Realtor for a second opinion. Anyway, my yard, my rules.

Mr. Landscaper I am very pleased with the work you did yesterday and will be happy discuss future work, but when I tell you I have to get to work, please don't stay on the line another ten minutes! We can talk when I get home.
Old 18 July 2018, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Next door neighbor G, I know you like, no make that adore, the weedy mess that is the shared corner of my yard,
Shared with whom? If it's shared with him, maybe he does have some say.

Seaboe
Old 18 July 2018, 02:47 PM

We share a fence, but all the foliage is in my yard. Another issue: all those weeds were covering up some of my shrubs, like the big euonymus bush, a lilac and a nandina bush. Plus a holly tree. I was also really worried about attracting pests.
Old 18 July 2018, 02:56 PM

The "weedy mess" may also be attracting beneficials, which might be eating your pests. These things can get complicated.

Of course, you might intend to plant other things there which will attract beneficials.