snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 27 June 2018, 06:13 PM

Judge Justice Anthony Kennedy to retire from Supreme Court

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Justice Anthony M. Kennedy announced on Wednesday that he would retire, setting the stage for a furious fight over the future direction of the Supreme Court.

Justice Kennedy, 81, has long been the decisive vote in many closely divided cases. His retirement gives President Trump the opportunity to fundamentally change the course of the Supreme Court.

A Trump appointee would very likely create a solid five-member conservative majority that could imperil abortion rights and expand gun rights.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/u...eme-court.html

NFBSK! I hope he has a good reason, because if not, my opinion of him just fell by a whole lot.
Old 27 June 2018, 06:31 PM

I certainly hope Sen. McConnell agrees that the replacement nominee should be approved by the Senate elected in the mid-term election that's underway right now.

At least that is what he said eight and a half months before the presidential election, so at the very least the same should apply to the mid-term election that is four and a half months away.
Old 27 June 2018, 06:39 PM

We're long past the point of giving Republicans the benefit of the doubt. They are not going to hold themselves to any standards of consistency or precedent. It's one rule for them and another for everyone else.

In 2021, the Democratic president and congress needs to play by Republican rules. Reduce wasteful government spending by streamlining the Supreme Court down to 7 members, with a Last In/First Out system. Then reconsider whether that isn't too few, and restore it to 9, with Merrick Garland and one other new appointee.
Old 27 June 2018, 07:03 PM

I haven't been this sick with fear for the future of this country since the night of the 2016 election.
Old 27 June 2018, 08:12 PM

After the disappointing rulings of the past couple of days, this comes as a real blow. if it's that bad with Kennedy...ugh.

I agree with someone who proposed that the next time the Democrats control the Senate with a Republican in the White House, they should adopt a policy of, "We're reserving one appointment. You stole one from us, we're taking it back."
Old 27 June 2018, 10:20 PM

unprintable unprintable unprintable ---

He couldn't at least have waited till after the midterms?

-- story says he announced it after meeting with Trump. Has Trump got something on him, I wonder?

Sorry, I am feeling paranoid right now.
Old 08 July 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I haven't been this sick with fear for the future of this country since the night of the 2016 election.
I haven't been this hopeful since the 2016 election. My expectations are being met.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:26 AM

Judge

US President Donald Trump has nominated Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court, setting the stage for a bruising confirmation battle.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44775078
Old 29 June 2018, 03:19 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
We're long past the point of giving Republicans the benefit of the doubt. They are not going to hold themselves to any standards of consistency or precedent. It's one rule for them and another for everyone else.
Exactly. The fact that the DNC continues to pretend that they are dealing with reasonable people, despite all evidence to the contrary, makes you wonder if they are disingenuous or just unbelievably naive. You guys are basically Charlie Brown, always positive that this time Lucy won’t trick you and you’ll get to kick that football, while the GOP is Lucy.
Old 29 June 2018, 09:13 AM

Time for as many sane states as possible to put in place legislation protecting a woman's right to choose and autonomy over her body.
Old 29 June 2018, 12:55 PM

Default Is the Trump White House behind Justice Anthony Kennedy's Supreme Court retirement?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8422751.html

Quote:
As he made his way out of the chamber, Mr Trump paused to chat with the justice.

“Say hello to your boy,” Mr Trump said. “Special guy.”

Mr Trump was apparently referring to Mr Kennedy’s son, Justin. The younger Mr Kennedy spent more than a decade at Deutsche Bank, eventually rising to become the bank’s global head of real estate capital markets.
Old 29 June 2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Time for as many sane states as possible to put in place legislation protecting a woman's right to choose and autonomy over her body.
Fortunately I believe that's already on the books here in California, but of course there are plenty of states that have been doing everything they could to make abortion more difficult without banning it outright. If Roe is overturned, they'll be on it like flies on a dog turd.

And it will suddenly make it a much bigger issue in every election (I expect California would get ballot propositions on the matter regularly), which might actually help the Democrats -- I've theorized that there are a fair number of pro-choice Republicans out there who just keep quiet about it, willing to accept the "pro-life" folks in their party as long as they have Roe as a safeguard, but might have to abandon the party if it gets kicked back to legislatures -- but not everywhere, and it will be ugly, and it probably won't be worth it.