snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 23 August 2018, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I don't think there is one. I also don't think that Orange is the New Black has many bars. For the most part their in those cinder block cubicles in a minimum security prison, and I think in the latest season they're behind doors. Although the theme song does end with the sound of the typical barred prison door being slammed shut.
Old 23 August 2018, 07:59 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Who's the recovering alcoholic in How I Met Your Mother?
I have never seen the show. The only show I know is Cheers, and I have more than just a name awareness of the Rockford Files, and I seem to remember a recovering alcoholic there. So, that is what fed my guess.
Old 28 August 2018, 12:12 PM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What eventually traded hands due to the Torrijos-Carter Treaties?
The Panama Canal Zone, and all the cool stuff within it (mainly, let's face it, the Panama Canal). I guess this is retroactively a John McCain tribute question now?

2. Which Greek goddess won the golden apple in the so-called "Judgment of Paris"?
When asked to give the apple "to the fairest" goddess, Paris was plied by all three with gifts: Hera offered power, Athena wisdom, and Aphrodite love. Sadly, Paris chose Aphrodite so he could hook up with the most beautiful woman in the world, and the Trojan War resulted.

3. Only four movies have ever made $2 billion at the world box office. What actress has starred in two of them?
The four movies are Avengers: Infinity War, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Titanic, and Avatar. Zoe Saldana is the female lead in the first and the fourth.

4. What would you look for using the Sieve of Eratosthenes?
The sieve will not help you find your car keys or your soulmate. It's a pretty good way to find prime numbers, however.

5. In what city was Comdex, America's largest computer trade show, held every year from 1979 to 2003?
Comdex--just like CES, the electronics show that survived it--was always held in Las Vegas.

6. What is the Dutch militia officer in Frans Hals's most famous painting doing--according to the work's familiar English title, though not in the canvas itself?
The painting is always called The Laughing Cavalier, even though the subject might not be a cavalier and certainly shows no signs of laughing. More like The Halfway-Smirking Guy in Some Kind of Elaborate Outfit.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Cheers, Happy Endings, How I Met Your Mother, Law & Order, Orange Is the New Black, The Rockford Files, Still Standing.
The opening sequences under the credits of all these shows are essentially just a montage of still images, with little or no movement at all. I bet there are more good entries here...I intentionally left off the first seasons of Family Ties and Growing Pains, because subsequent seasons used new title sequences with video clips a-plenty.

DadOf3's note: I think he's wrong about Happy Days. I recall scenes of them in the parking lot at Arnold's in the first season, and after that they had a 45-rpm record spinning in a jukebox with each actor appearing in character in the middle, but they were moving.

Here, I found some:
First season
Second season

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What was the first city liberated by the 1944 D-Day invasion, though it's closely associated with a work of art from a very different invasion?

2. A recent promotion for what Cartoon Network TV series will send two lucky fans to next month's "Pickle Day" on New York's Lower East Side?

3. What does the successful and admired title character do in the last line of the 1897 poem "Richard Cory"?

4. What is the world's largest family-owned liquor company, headquartered in Bermuda since leaving Cuba in the 1960s?

5. What groundbreaking semi-synthetic fiber was originally called "viscose" or "artificial silk" when it was first made from wood pulp in 1894?

6. The "Santo Niño de Cebú" statue is the oldest Catholic relic in what country?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Bobby Bonilla, Dino Ciccarelli, Lou Groza, Connie Hawkins, Dick Lane, Warren Moon, Adam Oates, Dan Quisenberry, Martin St. Louis, John Starks, Bruce Sutter, Larry Walker, Ben Wallace, Kurt Warner.
Old 28 August 2018, 12:20 PM

1. What was the first city liberated by the 1944 D-Day invasion, though it's closely associated with a work of art from a very different invasion?

Bayeux

4. What is the world's largest family-owned liquor company, headquartered in Bermuda since leaving Cuba in the 1960s?

Bacardí

5. What groundbreaking semi-synthetic fiber was originally called "viscose" or "artificial silk" when it was first made from wood pulp in 1894?

Cellulose
Old 28 August 2018, 12:28 PM

Whalephant

Calais?

#6-The Philippines?
Old 28 August 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Cheers, Happy Endings, How I Met Your Mother, Law & Order, Orange Is the New Black, The Rockford Files, Still Standing.
The opening sequences under the credits of all these shows are essentially just a montage of still images, with little or no movement at all. I bet there are more good entries here...I intentionally left off the first seasons of Family Ties and Growing Pains, because subsequent seasons used new title sequences with video clips a-plenty.

[I]DadOf3's note: I think he's wrong about Happy Days. I recall scenes of them in the parking lot at Arnold's in the first season, and after that they had a 45-rpm record spinning in a jukebox with each actor appearing in character in the middle, but they were moving.
He said happy endings, not happy days...

6. Philipines

Last edited by Alarm; 28 August 2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added answer
Old 28 August 2018, 01:07 PM

1. Bayeux.

2. Rick and Morty?

3. Shoots himself.

4. Bacardi.

5. Don't know.

6. Philippines.

7. I know that Bonilla had a contract that caused him to be paid even after retirement, so I'm going to go with that.
Old 28 August 2018, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=Alarm;1985930]He said happy endings, not happy days...

Hah! You're right!!!
Old 28 August 2018, 03:13 PM

Icon05

I cheated a bit by looking at a map of France, but I think it's Bayeux.

2. A recent promotion for what Cartoon Network TV series will send two lucky fans to next month's "Pickle Day" on New York's Lower East Side?
Wild guess: Adventure Time.

3. What does the successful and admired title character do in the last line of the 1897 poem "Richard Cory"?
As Alex says in A Clockwork Orange, snuff it.

Bacardi

Nylon

6. The "Santo Niño de Cebú" statue is the oldest Catholic relic in what country?
Very wild guess: Bolivia?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Bobby Bonilla, Dino Ciccarelli, Lou Groza, Connie Hawkins, Dick Lane, Warren Moon, Adam Oates, Dan Quisenberry, Martin St. Louis, John Starks, Bruce Sutter, Larry Walker, Ben Wallace, Kurt Warner.
Not being a sports fan, I'll say they are all people who have never been in my kitchen.
Old 28 August 2018, 03:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Easy peasy--Bayeaux (because it was liberated early, it was not bombed, saving not only the tapestry but also the cathedral/ church).
Quote:

Since this question requires that I care about CN, I'll have to pass
Quote:

Kill himself.
Quote:

Hmmm. Bacardi?
Quote:

now known as Rayon. The oldest artificial fiber fabric.
Quote:

I'm going to say Portugal, just for the novelty of it.
Quote:

Argh. Athletes. This is not my question (I semi recognize 2 names on this list). ETA: having read Chillas's answer, I believe his idea is true for Kurt Warner, too.

Seaboe
Old 28 August 2018, 05:46 PM

Well, I know number 1 but it looks like everybody else will have got that... I've not read people's answers so lots of people might have got the other two I know or think I know as well!

3. Assuming it ends up the same as the Simon and Garfunkel song of that name, kills himself (by shooting himself in the head, as far as I remember).

4. Bacardi?
Old 28 August 2018, 06:29 PM

Baseball

1. Finally, one I know off the top of my head. Bayeux.

2. What is the show with the character with the family name Pickle? Is it Rugrats? Been years since my kids watched it.

3. I have never heard this poem. Casey struck out.

4. I'm guessing Bacardi

5. Don't know. Rayon?

6. I have no clue. Spain?

7. Hockey, football, baseball. Hmmm. I know a few of the names and one thing I know is that they all had something unorthodox about their playing. Warren Moon was an African American quarterback in a league where it was still white men who played that position. Yet he came in top of his game. Martin St Louis was extremely short, but he came in top of his game. Dan Quisenberry had that weird submarine side arm pitch, and was a top competitor in his day. My proposed answer:

- they all topped their game despite having unorthodox, or almost unique characteristics.

First one went well, then went down hill from there.
Old 28 August 2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
3. Assuming it ends up the same as the Simon and Garfunkel song of that name, kills himself (by shooting himself in the head, as far as I remember).
"Richard Corey went home last night, and put a bullet through his head."
Old 28 August 2018, 06:42 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
"Richard Corey went home last night..."
Of course, this may not mean he shot himself. He may have taken a bullet, shoved it in his nose, and used a neti pot to force it out the other nostril. That's still putting a bullet through his head.
Old 28 August 2018, 07:53 PM

You're an odd person.

I like that about you.
Old 29 August 2018, 04:54 AM

2. A recent promotion for what Cartoon Network TV series will send two lucky fans to next month's "Pickle Day" on New York's Lower East Side? Must be Rick and Morty

3. What does the successful and admired title character do in the last line of the 1897 poem "Richard Cory"? Commits suicide (specifically, "put[s] a bullet through his head"

4. What is the world's largest family-owned liquor company, headquartered in Bermuda since leaving Cuba in the 1960s? Bacardi?

5. What groundbreaking semi-synthetic fiber was originally called "viscose" or "artificial silk" when it was first made from wood pulp in 1894? Rayon?

6. The "Santo Niño de Cebú" statue is the oldest Catholic relic in what country? WAG - Argentina?
Old 29 August 2018, 10:12 AM

1. What was the first city liberated by the 1944 D-Day invasion, though it's closely associated with a work of art from a very different invasion? Calais.

2. A recent promotion for what Cartoon Network TV series will send two lucky fans to next month's "Pickle Day" on New York's Lower East Side? Rick and Morty.

3. What does the successful and admired title character do in the last line of the 1897 poem "Richard Cory"? Kills himself.

4. What is the world's largest family-owned liquor company, headquartered in Bermuda since leaving Cuba in the 1960s? Bacardi.
Old 04 September 2018, 11:36 AM

Tuesday Trivia Time

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Because of its namesake tapestry, Bayeux is more closely associated with the Norman Conquest of 1066.

Ha ha ha, people you really don't want to have to hang out with love that "Pickle Rick" joke from Rick and Morty!

He goes home and puts a bullet through his head. Well-dressed people are still empty on the inside, everyone.

Bacardi got a pretty rum deal in post-Batista Cuba, and now operates out of Hamilton, Bermuda.

Rayon was history's first "manufactured fiber," if you don't count shredded wheat.

Cebu is the oldest city in Asia's only majority Roman Catholic country: the Philippines.

Despite their long and illustrious pro careers, each went undrafted out of college. I waffled on leaving off Kurt Warner, since I was afraid he made it too easy.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Plato's "Ring of Gyges" and the mythological Cap of Hades both possessed what unusual power?

2. Influenced by William Lloyd Garrison's The Liberator, who began his own newspaper, The North Star, in 1847?

3. What scientist, who discovered that electric currents affect magnets, was a close friend of author Hans Christian Andersen?

4. Chris Brasher and Chris Chataway are best known for pacing whom on May 6, 1954?

5. What moviemaking term was borrowed from the world of jewelry, where it's an engraving method similar to intaglio?

6. At their peak in 2006, over half the taxis in Mexico City were what model of car, making it an iconic symbol of the city?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "America" by Simon & Garfunkel, "Army of Me" by Bjork, "Cornflake Girl" by Tori Amos, "Fields of Gold" by Sting, "The Inner Light" by the Beatles, "Karma Police" by Radiohead, "Parklife" by Blur, "So. Central Rain" by R.E.M., "White Room" by Cream.

Enjoy!
Old 04 September 2018, 11:41 AM

Only one this week...

5. What moviemaking term was borrowed from the world of jewelry, where it's an engraving method similar to intaglio? Cameo
Old 04 September 2018, 12:38 PM

1. Plato's "Ring of Gyges" and the mythological Cap of Hades both possessed what unusual power? I swear I used to know the Cap of Hades one...Raising the dead?

2. Influenced by William Lloyd Garrison's The Liberator, who began his own newspaper, The North Star, in 1847? WAG - Horace Greeley?

3. What scientist, who discovered that electric currents affect magnets, was a close friend of author Hans Christian Andersen? WAG - Gauss?

5. What moviemaking term was borrowed from the world of jewelry, where it's an engraving method similar to intaglio? cameo

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "America" by Simon & Garfunkel, "Army of Me" by Bjork, "Cornflake Girl" by Tori Amos, "Fields of Gold" by Sting, "The Inner Light" by the Beatles, "Karma Police" by Radiohead, "Parklife" by Blur, "So. Central Rain" by R.E.M., "White Room" by Cream. The lyrics don't rhyme?