snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 27 March 2018, 03:41 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
5. The host city for the 1992 Winter Olympics was less than fifty miles away from two previous hosts: Grenoble and Chamonix. What city hosted those Olympic Games? Was that Seole, South Korea?
Nope. Albertville.
Old 27 March 2018, 04:23 PM

1. In what city might you see a "second line" funeral? New Orleans?

2. What name did geographer Ferdinand von Richtofen--the Red Baron's uncle--coin in 1877 for a historical trade route between Rome and Xi'an? Silk Road?

4. What did Robert Jarvik invent an artifical form of in 1982? Heart.
Old 27 March 2018, 04:36 PM

1. In what city might you see a "second line" funeral? N'awlins!

2. What name did geographer Ferdinand von Richtofen--the Red Baron's uncle--coin in 1877 for a historical trade route between Rome and Xi'an? The Silk Road?

3. The 2013 novel Doctor Sleep has Danny Torrance as its protagonist, because it's a sequel to what 1977 bestseller? The Shining?

4. What did Robert Jarvik invent an artifical form of in 1982? heart

5. The host city for the 1992 Winter Olympics was less than fifty miles away from two previous hosts: Grenoble and Chamonix. What city hosted those Olympic Games? Arghh! The only one I can remember from around this time is Lillehammer, and I know that's not right. Wasn't this around the time they started staggering the summer and winter olympiads?

6. "Mendota Monster Mauls Madison" was the first of tens of thousands of headlines from what newspaper, founded in 1988 as a way to distribute bar and pizza coupons to Wisconsin students? Weekly World News?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Career Opportunities, Cast Away, The Da Vinci Code, Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights, I Am Sam, Miracle on 34th Street, One Two Three, Sunset Boulevard. WAG based on faint memories of the two I have seen all the way through - Scene set in mail/package sorting facility?
Old 27 March 2018, 04:42 PM

musicgeek, are the two you've seen Miracle on 34th Street and Castaway? Because those fit. It's been a while since I've seen Sunset Boulevard so I don't remember if that does as well.
Old 27 March 2018, 05:06 PM

Regarding musicgeek's answer to #7, there was a Michael J Fox movie about a mailroom worker faking himself an executive job. Something like Secret to My Success. While the list isn't said to be comprehensive, that's a kind of big deal to leave off the list. Also, while not nearly so significant, Monsters University had several mail room scenes. Also, Trading Places, has several scenes in a mail car on a train, not sure if that counts.
Old 27 March 2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Regarding musicgeek's answer to #7,
Elf would also qualify, but it's not listed. But I think that means it's not such an unusual distinction...
Old 28 March 2018, 02:30 AM

2. What name did geographer Ferdinand von Richtofen--the Red Baron's uncle--coin in 1877 for a historical trade route between Rome and Xi'an?

The silk route

5. The host city for the 1992 Winter Olympics was less than fifty miles away from two previous hosts: Grenoble and Chamonix. What city hosted those Olympic Games?

Albertville
Old 28 March 2018, 02:50 AM

Baseball

1. Sounds like a train or subway thing. New York?

2. I believe that was the Silk Road.

3. I have no clue. Airport?

4. I remember being amazed by this when it was all over the news. A heart.

5. I knew someone who competed at Albertville, France.

6. Alliteration with the letter M. I'm going to guess Metro.

7. Someone who is believed to be dead is actually alive!

I actually knew 3. The rest are guesses.
Old 28 March 2018, 03:49 AM

Well, I did say it was a WAG for #7 for me. And, yes, Steve, those were the two.
Old 28 March 2018, 10:43 AM

Ponder

1. In what city might you see a "second line" funeral? Well, for cities known for elaborate funerals, I'll have to take a wild guess and say New Orleans.

2. What name did geographer Ferdinand von Richtofen--the Red Baron's uncle--coin in 1877 for a historical trade route between Rome and Xi'an? The Silk Road?

3. The 2013 novel Doctor Sleep has Danny Torrance as its protagonist, because it's a sequel to what 1977 bestseller? This is a gimme... The Shining.

4. What did Robert Jarvik invent an artifical form of in 1982? Another gimme... artificial heart.
Old 03 April 2018, 11:35 AM

Time once again for Tuesday Trivia. Here we go.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. In what city might you see a "second line" funeral?
I guess you MIGHT see one anywhere, but they're only traditional in New Orleans, as part of the city's jazz scene.

2. What name did geographer Ferdinand von Richtofen--the Red Baron's uncle--coin in 1877 for a historical trade route between Rome and Xi'an?
The Silk Road (the trade route, not the Dark Web thing) wouldn't be called that if not for the Richthofen family. There, I spelled "Richthofen" right, given a second chance.

3. The 2013 novel Doctor Sleep has Danny Torrance as its protagonist, because it's a sequel to what 1977 bestseller?
As a young boy, Danny had "The Shining" and spent a not-great winter at the Overlook Hotel in Colorado. Red rum! Red rum!

4. What did Robert Jarvik invent an artifical form of in 1982?
The human heart. A dentist named Barney Clark lived for four months on a Jarvik 7.

5. The host city for the 1992 Winter Olympics was less than fifty miles away from two previous hosts: Grenoble and Chamonix. What city hosted those Olympic Games?
Albertville was just a hop, skip, and a jump away from France's two other Winter Olympic resorts.

6. "Mendota Monster Mauls Madison" was the first of tens of thousands of headlines from what newspaper, founded in 1988 as a way to distribute bar and pizza coupons to Wisconsin students?
That probably wasn't their funniest headline of all time. This is The Onion, which many of you probably don't even remember as a dead-tree newspaper.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Career Opportunities, Cast Away, The Da Vinci Code, Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights, I Am Sam, Miracle on 34th Street, One Two Three, Sunset Boulevard.
A major character in each movie is--despite being a fictional character--employed by a real-life corporation. Respectively: Target, FedEx, Harvard, Ford, Starbucks, Macy's, Coke, and Paramount. I feel like there are other, better examples I didn't think of. Anyone?

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What's the usual American name for the children's game called "Chinese whispers" in Britain?

2. What man's death in August 2014 was ruled a homicide, though the fatal bullet had been fired 33 years prior?

3. In an electric circuit, a rheostat is the most common "variable" type of what component?

4. Robin Williams' first and last Oscar nominations were for movies whose titles begin with what word?

5. In 1800, Josiah Spode revolutionized the fine china industry by adding what ingredient to his firm's porcelain clay?

6. What nation is divided into 34 provinces, the two newest being West Sulawesi and North Kalimantan?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Henry VIII, Thomas Jefferson, Lucretia Mott, John D. Rockefeller, John Ruskin, Sun Yat-sen, Rabindranath Tagore, Booker T. Washington.

Enjoy!
Old 03 April 2018, 11:40 AM

1. What's the usual American name for the children's game called "Chinese whispers" in Britain? Telephone.

2. What man's death in August 2014 was ruled a homicide, though the fatal bullet had been fired 33 years prior? James Brady.

3. In an electric circuit, a rheostat is the most common "variable" type of what component? A switch?
Old 03 April 2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Career Opportunities, Cast Away, The Da Vinci Code, Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights, I Am Sam, Miracle on 34th Street, One Two Three, Sunset Boulevard.
A major character in each movie is--despite being a fictional character--employed by a real-life corporation. Respectively: Target, FedEx, Harvard, Ford, Starbucks, Macy's, Coke, and Paramount. I feel like there are other, better examples I didn't think of. Anyone?
Any movie that has characters employed by the FBI, CIA, LAPD, NYFD and other public service and law enforcement organisations? The NASA?

Or does that violate a narrow sense of "corporation"?

Quote:
1. What's the usual American name for the children's game called "Chinese whispers" in Britain?
I don't know the British name, but I believe it's the game that is called Stille Post (Silent Post or Silent Letter) in German.
Old 03 April 2018, 12:10 PM

]1. What's the usual American name for the children's game called "Chinese whispers" in Britain? Telephone.

2. What man's death in August 2014 was ruled a homicide, though the fatal bullet had been fired 33 years prior? Brady?
4. Robin Williams' first and last Oscar nominations were for movies whose titles begin with what word? Good?

6. What nation is divided into 34 provinces, the two newest being West Sulawesi and North Kalimantan? Indonesia?
Old 03 April 2018, 12:47 PM

I think we called it 'telephone' in 1950's New York State. At any rate, if I'm guessing right as to what game's called Chinese Whispers in Britain.

3. In an electric circuit, a rheostat is the most common "variable" type of what component?

Light switch?
Old 03 April 2018, 12:51 PM

1. Telephone?

2. James Brady.

3. Resistor.

4. Good.

5. Bone ash.

6. Don't know.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 03 April 2018, 02:10 PM

1. What's the usual American name for the children's game called "Chinese whispers" in Britain? Telephone?

2. What man's death in August 2014 was ruled a homicide, though the fatal bullet had been fired 33 years prior? I think this is James Brady

3. In an electric circuit, a rheostat is the most common "variable" type of what component? resistor?

4. Robin Williams' first and last Oscar nominations were for movies whose titles begin with what word? Good?

5. In 1800, Josiah Spode revolutionized the fine china industry by adding what ingredient to his firm's porcelain clay? Bone?
Old 03 April 2018, 02:36 PM

Switch

6. What nation is divided into 34 provinces, the two newest being West Sulawesi and North Kalimantan?*

The Phillipines
Old 03 April 2018, 03:49 PM

United Kingdom

People have got the ones I know (3. resistor and 6. Indonesia), and even the ones I can guess at!

I don't know question 1 in American English, but in UK English it's called Chinese whispers... (I think the other guesses are right though).
Old 03 April 2018, 04:23 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

When I was growing up, we called it telephone.
Quote:

2. What man's death in August 2014 was ruled a homicide, though the fatal bullet had been fired 33 years prior?
James Brady
Quote:

current?
Quote:

4. Robin Williams' first and last Oscar nominations were for movies whose titles begin with what word?
Dead
Quote:

5. In 1800, Josiah Spode revolutionized the fine china industry by adding what ingredient to his firm's porcelain clay?
bone meal
Quote:

6. What nation is divided into 34 provinces, the two newest being West Sulawesi and North Kalimantan?
India?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Henry VIII, Thomas Jefferson, Lucretia Mott, John D. Rockefeller, John Ruskin, Sun Yat-sen, Rabindranath Tagore, Booker T. Washington.
Okay, I've heard of all but one of these people, but do not know what they have in common. I'll say something concerning libraries, because of Rockefeller & Franklin.

Seaboe